Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Does your spouse ride with you?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-15, 11:46 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

Earlier today, I talked my wife into going on a short 6 mile bike ride looping through a bunch of the neighborhood side streets. I lowered the seat on my old Schwinn Alum Comp Mtn bike, and to my surprise, it fit her to a "T". She had no problems with it and was real comfortable on it. Then I gave her my silver Bell bike helmet, which she adjusted to her head. And as crazy as this sounds... I found an old beatup, leftover, bike helmet that my daughter wore back in the day. I ripped out all the foam padding/liner to make it fit my big fat head, and well... it worked (sort of). My wife's safety is always my #1 concern, so she wore the good helmet.

On the return trip, we decided to stop briefly and use the camera on her smartphone to snap a photo of each of us. Then through Paintshop Pro (i.e. a poor man's version of Photoshop), I downloaded the photos, cropped them, tweaked them, and merged them together.

Meet my lovely wife Margaret on my old Schwinn Mtn bike that is all setup for her. Even though it's a men's bike from Wal-Mart (19" frame?) it fits her perfectly. I'm on my C&V "old school" '85 Fuji Del Rey road bike, with the awful looking kid's helmet w/o any foam liner.

Anyway, we did the short 6 mile bike ride in a very slow and very gentle 38:10, but we had fun! I might have to get her a nice ladies bike and see if she wants a comfort bike, a road bike, or just keep riding my old Schwinn Mtn bike.... Does your spouse ride with you?
Old 07-05-15, 12:09 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
kudos.

For years, my wife wasn't at all interested - she had a bike in the garage with 10 years of rust. Then, when we lived for a time in Canberra, she started commuting on a bike because we had no car and walking took too long. We bought a cheap $250 Trek hybrid down at the local shop. Towards the end of our stay there, she started taking rides for fun on her own - that's easy to motivate when there's a kangaroo reserve a few miles down the cycle path.

When we returned to the states, she brought her Aussie bike home with her and has ridden some ever since. Last year she upgraded to a nice Cannondale Quick (sweet bike). She rides chiefly alone, and not as often as I ride, but I think her maximum ride to date is 50 miles.

She will ride with me, BUT

*she will not ride on roads - trails only.
*she will only ride in nice weather
*she will not try to ride fast

So now and again we ride together. We ride at her pace when we do.

This saturday we took a 35 mile trail ride to a nature reserve out past Lake Minnetonka. My HR did not go above 100 for more than a couple of minutes, but it was a very pleasant ride.
Old 07-05-15, 12:12 PM
B. Carfree

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
We've been cycling together for thirty-two years. For the past twenty-seven years, many of our "fun" rides have been on tandems with my wife riding captain. It's a great way to do one's "daily maintenance" (term coined by Dan Savage, relationship advice columnist extraordinaire, referring to the notion that people owe it to their partners to stay in shape).
Old 07-05-15, 12:38 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We ride together nearly all the time. Sometimes I'll do a second solo ride because I can ride further and faster but on a typical 30mi ride I will "push" ahead a few times, leaving her behind for a few hundred yards. During that time she will do her own version of a high intensity interval while I do mine. We're over 60 so it's not like we are competitive racers but we ride hard - for us. I enjoy riding with her much more than simply riding alone and don't have many/any others in my age group to ride with regularly.
Old 07-05-15, 12:39 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
No She thought a guy my age riding a bike was the dumbest thing in the world. But we both ride an indoor machine we bought after my spine surgery But she seems to respect my determination and I am getting better.
Old 07-05-15, 01:11 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Yes. For a long time (20 years +) my wife only rode with me on a tandem. Eventually we got her her own bike but she still didn't ride it very much. After my injuries we bought a series of recumbents including a tandem recumbent bicycle. We have since sold that and purchased a pair of recumbent tricycles that can be linked together to form a tandem. Today we mostly ride separately, she on her tricycle and me on my SWB recumbent. She is also comfortable going out to ride by herself. We are planning to go to the Midwest Recumbent Rally in Stevens Point Wi next month but we haven't decided whether to ride separately or to bring both trikes to link together.
Old 07-05-15, 01:12 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Yes for the past 10 yrs. We average 100 mi./wk.
Old 07-05-15, 01:15 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
My wife rides with me 4 to 6 times a month, from March to October, with distances ranging from 15 to 50 miles a pop. It will be more often if I am rehabbing from a crash (so she can keep her eye on me and let me know if she thinks I'm pushing too hard or not riding carefully enough) or if she has set a goal for the season.

This year her target is an unsupported century in September. I did my bit by fracturing a couple of ribs and collapsing a lung last weekend, so July and August are going to be couple's months.
Old 07-05-15, 01:24 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Not a chance.

Old 07-05-15, 01:26 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
My wife and I will ride together fairly regularly. I need to slow it down as she prefers a leisurely pace, but she's not afraid to ride up to about 30 km or so which isn't bad at all. She's got a bike she loves (An older Trek 7.2Fx) which I keep in good running shape.
Old 07-05-15, 01:28 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
I did my bit by fracturing a couple of ribs and collapsing a lung last weekend, so July and August are going to be couple's months.
Way to take one for the team
Old 07-05-15, 01:46 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
No... she'd be an anchor.
Old 07-05-15, 02:07 PM
ButchA

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
No... she'd be an anchor.
Ouch... I don't DARE say that! My wife would never get on a bike again and ride with me. Granted, we did that ridiculously slow 6 mile ride, but at least we did it and she enjoyed it. I had to be very careful with the old Fuji, as I'd leave her in the dust with one stomp of a pedal! I did shift up to the 52T chainring once, and had to shift back down, stop and wait for her. When she caught up to me, she had an expression like, "Would you please wait up?". Then I quickly looked at the Schwinn Mtn bike, and she was on the middle chainring and the 3rd gear in the back. When I suggested she shift to a faster gear or at least up onto the 3rd chainring, she just replied, "No, I'm okay..." and maintained that leisurely 9.5 mph pace.
Old 07-05-15, 02:07 PM
doug59

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To borrow some of MinnMan's quote:

*she will not try too ride fast

But's that's OK with me. I ride just about everyday. We will usually go out on weekends (maybe twice a week). It's a more casual ride, but hey...it's fun because we are doing something fun together. A lot of times we will stop for lunch during our ride, or a bite to eat afterward.
Old 07-05-15, 03:05 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by doug59
To borrow some of MinnMan's quote:

*she will not try too ride fast

But's that's OK with me. I ride just about everyday. We will usually go out on weekends (maybe twice a week). It's a more casual ride, but hey...it's fun because we are doing something fun together. A lot of times we will stop for lunch during our ride, or a bite to eat afterward.
borrow away - I just wish my borrowed text didn't have typos! (I meant "..to ride fast", not "...ride too fast" and certainly not "too ride fast")

Also, responding to what ButchA wrote - I more or less agree, but I also won't give any advice about how to pedal, which gear to use, etc. I'm just glad she's out riding with me and she can ride at whatever pace and in whatever style suits her. My wife does not *want* to be faster, she just wants to enjoy the ride. And I can ride fast (or what I call fast) on other rides.
Old 07-05-15, 03:16 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Good thread. My wife will ride with me but she has found a few limits. The number one being that she won't ride a tandem again. Something about having a butt pointed at you...
Old 07-05-15, 03:21 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by MinnMan
kudos.

This saturday we took a 35 mile trail ride to a nature reserve out past Lake Minnetonka. My HR did not go above 100 for more than a couple of minutes, but it was a very pleasant ride.
I want to expand on this part also. One of the pleasures of riding with my wife is showing her parts of our area that she didn't know and that i didn't know before I started riding. The Twin Cities metro is full of hidden gems - really lovely places that increase my appreciation of my adopted home. Some of them aren't accessible by trails, but many of the gems ARE the trails themselves (there are tons of them - Minnesota is getting famous for its unbelievable trail network).

So my point is, by riding with my wife and showing her part of what I see when I'm out riding, she understands better why I am so enamored of riding. I can tell her about a ride she *wasn't* on and know some things about the geography and the experience which she wouldn't have appreciated if she hadn't been out there herself.
Old 07-05-15, 03:45 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
So my point is, by riding with my wife and showing her part of what I see when I'm out riding, she understands better why I am so enamored of riding.
Great, great post!

Yesterday we hiked on a trail that overlooked one of the epic climbs on the front range, one that I have done countless times, and she has done once (her goal from the summer of 2012). Looking down at the winding turns, her eyes lit up and she said, ""I did that?"

Context, conversation, and a shared adventure that does not involve one of the kids--these are the things that enrich a 34 year long journey together and the reason why I'll trade a high intensity, push the limits ride for a 100 bpm heart rate cruise any day.
Old 07-05-15, 03:59 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
We've been riding together since we met in 1978. Most of our together-riding over the last 15 years has been on tandems. Last year we rode 1400 tandem miles and we may beat that this year.
Old 07-05-15, 04:04 PM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
We always rode together until I broke my shoulder a few weeks ago. Now she is riding on her own, although I am on call if she gets a flat since she relies on me for that.
Old 07-05-15, 04:06 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One 6.x mile ride and a couple of 1.x milers over the last 5 years, so effectively no. I keep on asking when appropriate but I don't realistically expect a change. When I got my "first" bike (since high school) she asked right there in the LBS "what about mine?" So we (gladly) bought two bikes that day but only one's been used since then. Hope Springs eternal though... I'd love to ride with her, or my daughter.
Old 07-05-15, 04:18 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Yes! My wife and I ride together quit often. We also go to the MUP together and do separate solo rides.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-05-15, 04:20 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
For the first three years of our marriage we lived car-free in west Los Angeles, in a little apartment a mile and a half south of the UCLA campus. We bicycled, walked, or rode transit everywhere, other than occasionally using my grandfather's car. (Our apartment was conveniently located halfway between my maternal grandparents' house and campus.)

We bought our first car, a year-old 1976 Pinto Squire ("woody" vinyl decal) station wagon, when we bought our first house. The house, a formerly beautiful Spanish style duplex from the late 1920s, was a real dump of a fixer-upper, so we needed some way to transport drywall, lumber, and other building materials. After I suffered a concussion and fractured collarbone later that year, courtesy of a left-crossing motorist, my wife gradually lost her taste for cycling in traffic, so I can relate to those who responded "only on trails." I am sure she worries about me when I am out on the road.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-05-15, 04:27 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Yes. We ride together. I stopped riding altogether between the ages of 18 and 32. My wife never stopped riding and though not as much of a technology and gear enthusiast as I am (and doesn't put as many miles as I have in the last 3 or 4 years), she has been the more consistent rider over the years than I have been.
Old 07-05-15, 04:38 PM
ButchA

Wow... Lots of great replies! Looking back, my wife and I used to ride a lot way back when our daughters (now full grown, on their own, one's married) were kids. I am just glad my wife Margaret went with me on that 6 mile ride. She went on an extremely short 1.5 mile ride around our block a few days ago, just to get the feel of a bike after so many years.

Anyway, that same photo that I uploaded, I also put on Facebook so all my friends and family could see that we were out riding. My one daughter (who's old bike helmet I cannibalized ) posted a comment, "Gee, Mom, you look so enthused! LOL!" And then my wife replied, "I wish he would have taken the picture in the beginning and not when we were almost done. I was tired!". Now just privately to all of you (don't tell my wife!), I sat there reading that Facebook comment and was thinking, "Tired? Seriously?" But wisely didn't say a word...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.