Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Need a Cool Weather Jacket

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 11:40 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a cool weather, as in something that will be good for in 50s F range. Something cycling specific, but not racer wannabe cut, so something with at least a little room inside. Not sure about others here, but for me, I just want some wind-stopper on the front of it, but I need more breathable material on the back, as that's where I end up overheating and sweating too much, especially the back of the shoulder area. I found the Specialized Element 1.5, which looks to be exactly what I'm looking for in a jacket, but I'm wondering if there are other options out there that also have this kind of hybrid material arrangement as well; do you know of any?
Old 12-20-16, 12:04 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
AdvXtrm, Look at Pearl Izumi. They have/had a medium duty jacket that when combined with a long sleeve jersey works well for me. I've had my jacket for many years so I'm not sure what's currently available.

Brad
Old 12-20-16, 12:04 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
I'm looking for a cool weather, as in something that will be good for in 50s F range. Something cycling specific, but not racer wannabe cut, so something with at least a little room inside. Not sure about others here, but for me, I just want some wind-stopper on the front of it, but I need more breathable material on the back, as that's where I end up overheating and sweating too much, especially the back of the shoulder area. I found the Specialized Element 1.5, which looks to be exactly what I'm looking for in a jacket, but I'm wondering if there are other options out there that also have this kind of hybrid material arrangement as well; do you know of any?
I thought softshells were stupid. Not quite a raincoat, not quite a fleece, like a shell with no water resistance. What's the point?

I found one on sale and tried it. I now do 90% of my riding in it when it's below 50 degrees. The breathability and wind resistance makes mine feel super comfortable in a huge range of temperatures. With a long-sleeved shirt, I can go from 30º to 55º before I need to make a change.

I don't think you need to get the same one I have, specifically, but here's what I like about my softshell:

1. It has ventilated pockets and pit zips, and a full-length zipper. This lets me control my temperature throughout a ride by opening/closing holes.

2. It has a hood, which I can slip under my helmet when things get cold or wet. My jacket even has a little bungee cord to roll the hood out of the way when not in use, which I use frequently.

3. There seems to be two types of softshells; some are very thick and heavy-duty, and others are thin, like a windshirt. I like the thin ones better. Mine's about in the middle. It has a Windstopper lining, but otherwise is thin and light (~10oz). The thick ones are just too much for cycling, better for campfires.

My softshell is the Mammut Ultimate Hoody. I highly recommend for cycling, the cut is just long enough for me but you may have more torso (I have a short torso for my height).

Other great options would be the Outdoor Research Ferrosi windshirt or the RAB Boreas/Ventus. These are super thin and super light, they feel like shirts more than jackets, but the wind resistance makes them perfect for your temperature range and perfect for breathability. I own a Rab and wear it mostly in deep winter, over an insulated jacket, when things go below 10ºF. Kelley wears it year-round.
Old 12-20-16, 12:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Base layer, bibs and arm warmers for the 50s. You can shed them if it (or you) warms up.
Old 12-20-16, 01:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Novara Headwind.
https://www.rei.com/product/102059/n...nd-jacket-mens

I have an older version. They seem to change the design a bit each season because its REI and they cant just leave good enough alone. Got mine for $55 or so as they move this style of jacket to their Garage site come March or so to make room for the warm weather clothing.

Part windproof and part breathable. Plenty warm down to 40s. Unzip the front a bit and it vents! 2 back pockets are large and zippered and 1 on the chest.
Old 12-20-16, 04:29 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Like mstateglfr, I have a Novara Headwind jacket that a few seasons old. Depending on layering, it works from the upper 50's into the upper 30's. On a damp, 55 degree ride in October, it worked perfectly with just a shortsleeve jersey. In early December, on a upper 30 degree ride, it worked great with a UA Coldwear base layer and long sleeve jersey. It will shed a little light rain, but it's not waterproof. I got mine during an end-of-the-season sale at my local REI. It was on sale for at least half off regular price.

I'm 6'2", 170# - the Large size fits well.

-Edit-
I bought my in March of 2003 for $48.83 at the REI in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Altair 4; 12-20-16 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 04:34 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Softshells are good. So are wind shells that you can layer underneath but those are getting harder to find. They're not as high tech as softshells but they make layering easy peasy.

Wind Jackets from People Who Really Know Wind Jackets!
Old 12-20-16, 07:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I use a wind jacket, the Voler Jet in Hi-Viz: Voler: Jet Men's Wind Jacket

I like it because it packs to the size of an orange and is very light. It's perfect IME. The critical thing about touring clothing is what do you do with it when you aren't wearing it? Is it squishable and light? I don't take anything that isn't.
Old 12-21-16, 05:13 AM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
AdvXtrm, Look at Pearl Izumi. They have/had a medium duty jacket that when combined with a long sleeve jersey works well for me. I've had my jacket for many years so I'm not sure what's currently available.

Brad
Thanks for all the suggestions and help here guys.

Brad, I'm not sure if this is the model you have or not, but PI isn't making them anymore. Thankfully I found some still available on a closeout sale. So I think I got a really good deal on a great jacket!

This is the one I ordered,

Pearl Izumi Select Thermal Barrier Jacket
Old 12-21-16, 06:22 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
AdvXtrm, The jacket you ordered looks to be suitable for lower temps than mine. Looks to have been a good purchase price also, I think you'll like it.

Brad
Old 12-21-16, 09:39 AM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
AdvXtrm, The jacket you ordered looks to be suitable for lower temps than mine. Looks to have been a good purchase price also, I think you'll like it.

Brad
On the pic at the link I included, if you hover over it it zooms in. On the pic of the back of the jacket, it looks like the entire back is made from a heavily micro-perforated material. If that's the case, then I think it'll have the breathability I'm looking for, and work in a wider range of temps than it would have otherwise. I'll report back here once I get it and try it out.
Old 12-21-16, 10:25 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
I thought softshells were stupid. Not quite a raincoat, not quite a fleece, like a shell with no water resistance. What's the point?

I found one on sale and tried it. I now do 90% of my riding in it when it's below 50 degrees. The breathability and wind resistance makes mine feel super comfortable in a huge range of temperatures. With a long-sleeved shirt, I can go from 30º to 55º before I need to make a change.
Agree 100%. All those points you mention, though, softshells are wonderful for, in any sort of wet windy weather under 50F. I'm looking for a new one, I don't particularly like mine for riding as it is black.
Old 12-21-16, 10:31 AM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Agree 100%. All those points you mention, though, softshells are wonderful for, in any sort of wet windy weather under 50F. I'm looking for a new one, I don't particularly like mine for riding as it is black.
Maybe throw a HiViz-Reflective vest over it.
Old 12-21-16, 12:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1 size Up, .. get a big jacket for rain add layers under it when it gets colder.

Around town I wear a Parka , hi viz. reflective stripes + hoodie, puffy insulated vest,
Old 12-21-16, 12:38 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I like a wool sweater and a thin, windproof fleece vest. Also check out xc ski and running stuff. I have a new balance running jacket with a windproof front, mesh back. Works well for that 20-50 F.
Old 12-21-16, 12:45 PM
nickw

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like the idea of non-cycling gear for touring, since your spending so much time off the bike and need clothing to be multi purpose. It also depends on time of year. I personally like Wool 1/2 zip sweater, windproof vest and lightweight water proof hiking/climbing jacket.

The bike specific stuff while great on the bike, a) limits your (affordable) options a bit and b) wonky fit while off the bike hanging out around camp/hiking. I find a good fitting jacket with hood a do-all camp/riding jacket.
Old 12-21-16, 01:24 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Whatever you get, make sure it is very breathable with adequate venting, pit zips, fabric, etc. I've got softshells, rain jackets and vests that fit the bill for the conditions you describe.

- My Pearl Izumi and Louis Garneau vests are great for blocking wind on your chest, in combination with a long-sleeve jersey, and ventilate well. I am comfortable with a LS jersey and vest in temps down to about 40 or upper 30s if temps are warming up.
- Gore Phantom is a very warm softshell that vents well and has removable sleeves if temps warm up a lot. Front of jacket and arms are made with windblock fabric and the back a very breathable material.
- Showers Pass Elite 2.1 is a rain jacket but is so versatile and breathable that it's my main cycling jacket in winter, whether or raining or not. The fabric throughout is very breathable, and it also has large pit zips, back vents, and adjustable sleeve cuffs. If it rains, it's waterproof, and you can buy an optional removable hood. Comes in a range of colors. Save lots of money by buying on line.
- Showers Pass Skyline is a breathable softshell jersey/jacket with pit zips. Not as breathable as the SP Elite, but more so than the Gore Phantom. Very water resistant and will keep you dry unless it's pouring or riding a long time in lighter rain. On sale right now at SP website. I would recommend any of the SP gear, from my experiences with the Elite and Skyline.
Old 12-21-16, 01:33 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
Maybe throw a HiViz-Reflective vest over it.
Oh, I easily could, I'd just prefer to buy a more bike specific one in a hi-viz color. My current non-biking one is also a bit annoying in that the tail will occasionally pull up too far.
Old 12-21-16, 06:08 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Oh, I easily could, I'd just prefer to buy a more bike specific one in a hi-viz color. My current non-biking one is also a bit annoying in that the tail will occasionally pull up too far.
The draft up and down the back is one of the reasons I decided to go with a bicycling specific jacket. With regular jackets they often bunch up in the front and leave you open at the lower back. This regular soft-shell jacket I tried here wasn't just leaving me exposed at the lower back in any tuck at all, but was also turning into a sweat-bath; just gross. I thin that jacket I've got on the way will address both of those issues.
Old 12-21-16, 06:54 PM
KeithNorCal

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hard to go wrong Pearl Izumi. Enjoy!
Old 12-21-16, 07:50 PM
FInish4Finn

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithNorCal
I agree their jackets are perfect for the winter riding. I will say though, their back pockets have tiny zippers. I wish they used bigger ones as it will hang at a point when trying to open. A bigger zipper would make handling much easier. But, that said they are well made for the weather.
Old 12-22-16, 09:01 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithNorCal
+1. That's a nice looking jacket and at a great price!
Old 12-22-16, 09:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
my novara rain jacket has a back vent & pit zips
Old 12-22-16, 10:57 AM
FrankHudson

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm another happy user of a Novara Headwind jacket. Mine's a model from a couple of years back. Windproof front, breathable back. I'm not sure if they've changed it, but it's my most valuable piece of upper body wear. Here Minnesota I wear it almost half the year. With thin under layer, very good in spring/fall 40-50 degree days for me. Add a thin fleece insulating layer and I've ridden it down to 0 degree F. air temp (minus something in the teens wind chill, and of course on a bike you're also making your own wind chill). I thought the breathable back would be an issue for really cold days (0-20 degrees F) and would at first wear another jacket instead of the Headwind, one with a windproof back, until I learned to trust/prefer the breathable back even down to 0 F.
Old 12-22-16, 11:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My touring pick, last time, was an Anorak. no front zipper to get in the way of leg motion..
big front pocket + hand warmer behind it.. useful to stow your gloves in .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.