Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good do-it-all bike to commute

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 02:12 PM
TurdBurglar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New poster here (not sure if this is the right place for this topic). This community seems knowledgable so I figured I would consult this forum for help. I am a college student and I want to get a bike to commute between my apartment and campus. I went to my local bike shop and they said that a hybrid would probably be the way to go. Its been a while since I've owned a bike and I know little to nothing about bikes and which components are better or any of that. But I'd like to get one that is high quality and will last. My budget is around $1000. I've been doing some research and I've found three that seem like they would be good choices (Fuji Traverse, Trek DS, Cannonade CX). I would post links but apparently I am not allowed to yet. But as I said, I know pretty much nothing about these. Out of these three, are any of them superior to the others? Also, if you have any recommendations for another bike I should check out, that would also be helpful. Appreciate the help.
Old 02-06-17, 02:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
any bike shops near you that rent? might be good to try a cpl bikes out before taking the plunge. sounds like a big plunge for a new biker. have you checked out craigslist at all? depending on where you are there may be a fair amount of pre-owned bikes that would work.

regarding budget, keep in mind aside from the bike there are many accessories that may catch your eye
Old 02-06-17, 03:02 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by TurdBurglar
I am a college student and I want to get a bike to commute between my apartment and campus.
A cheap bike off craigslist that is your size. Campuses are a target for bike thieves and I wouldn't want to lose any bike, much less a $1k one.
Old 02-07-17, 10:41 AM
Roamer2

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2; 1952 Schwinn Green Hornet

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agreed w/ the above posts. You can score a cool bike for WAY cheap around any university.

Go find your correct size at the LBS & then look around your community. $250 or less should be net you a decent ride AND the best lock you can find.
Old 02-07-17, 11:00 AM
FrankHudson

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends somewhat on the length of your commute and any significant climbing on that route, your town's wintertime climate, and what you need to carry. But yes, a hybrid can often do that job well. And I wouldn't worry excessively about the quality of components on bikes sold by local bike shops (LBS). Even the lower end components on bikes sold by a good LBS will work and have a adequate service life (barring snowy/salty/gritty winter--which is severe service for some parts on a bike).

While the advice to look at used has points in its favor--beside cost, the otherwise unavailable ridged 26" mountain bike is often a good commuter and can't be found new for example--for folks new to bikes and their foibles, values, and adjustment, the used market can be a minefield too. You seem to have an OK budget for a new bike, so I'd lean you new.

Wise advice that you don't want to spend all your budget on a the bike itself, as you'll need to reserve some money for things that make the bike the best working system for your commute. For me that would include a rack, bags, fenders, some winter clothing and tires, and a good lock and a set of lights. For you and your needs they might only include the good lock and the lights.
Old 02-07-17, 12:32 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm partial to the Marin Muirwoods - you can find it on eBay for a good price - especially the prior years' model. Still gives you the option of going off-road with it should you want to.
Old 02-07-17, 07:09 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Roamer2
Agreed w/ the above posts. You can score a cool bike for WAY cheap around any university.

Go find your correct size at the LBS & then look around your community. $250 or less should be net you a decent ride AND the best lock you can find.
Excellent advice.

Persuade your LBS to spend their time advising you, op, and then go buy a bike elsewhere ... either online or off some sort of classifieds. Your local bike shop will be happy to provide this service to you free of charge and without any expectation of a return; that is what they are there for.
Old 02-07-17, 08:16 PM
kbarj

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS (21)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankHudson
Wise advice that you don't want to spend all your budget on a the bike itself, as you'll need to reserve some money for things that make the bike the best working system for your commute. For me that would include a rack, bags, fenders, some winter clothing and tires, and a good lock and a set of lights. For you and your needs they might only include the good lock and the lights.
First, I completely agree with this advice. Some accessories are absolute necessities (like lock and lights). Others are really handy (like fenders if you're in a rainy climate).

While I think everyone else above has given good advice about used bikes, here's a limited opinion on what you asked about new. I don't know the other bikes, but I love my Trek 8.3 DS. I believe it would make a great commuter bike. However, it's cousin (the Trek FX) might be better. You wouldn't have the front shocks (which I don't think would matter commuting) so the weight would be less - helping it be more responsive (quicker). I like the shocks because every now and then I go off road with my bike. My son has a Trek DS and stole my road bike for commuting to college because he preferred the responsiveness. As a grad student he has an office to keep the bike in, so he's not as concerned about theft.