Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shaving legs for the first time

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shaving legs for the first time

Old 10-01-11, 11:35 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Bioandbikes
Since I am a not-very-fast female, this is the only thread in which I can post it: HTFU Of course, I don't shave my face, which I am sure is a more sensitive area to shave. For your legs, though...I shave in the shower, with soap and a cheapo razor. Year round. Yes, there is occasional razor burn, and yes, shaving cream is nice. It always makes me smile that many of you are fast, strong riders who will ride really tough hills or distances, but shaving your legs is a big deal.
Word. But a lot of these guys who accept grinding all their skin off on the pavement or even serious injuries as normal act like little girls at the possibility of being nipped by a dog 1/4 of their size.

I've shaved my legs daily for years because they get prickly if I skip a day. I normally use a cheapo twin blade, but I'll use anything handy. You absolutely don't need any elaborate ritual, lotions, and whatnot unless you don't do it often enough. Anyone who is competent can do the job in literally two minutes.

BTW, for women who wonder if shaving faces or legs is harder, faces are harder. But it's still no big deal.

Originally Posted by urbanknight
It's also easier to apply sunscreen and easier to clean road rash after a crash. I still don't shave since my sensitive skin makes constant razor burn that's less desirable than occasional road rash, but there are more reasons for it than deep tissue massage.
Plus it's just more comfortable and you dry faster.
Old 10-02-11, 06:42 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Word. But a lot of these guys who accept grinding all their skin off on the pavement or even serious injuries as normal act like little girls at the possibility of being nipped by a dog 1/4 of their size.

I've shaved my legs daily for years because they get prickly if I skip a day. I normally use a cheapo twin blade, but I'll use anything handy. You absolutely don't need any elaborate ritual, lotions, and whatnot unless you don't do it often enough. Anyone who is competent can do the job in literally two minutes.

BTW, for women who wonder if shaving faces or legs is harder, faces are harder. But it's still no big deal.

Plus it's just more comfortable and you dry faster.
A voice of reason and common sense for something that was getting more complicated than necessary.
Old 10-02-11, 06:15 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
It's also easier to apply sunscreen and easier to clean road rash after a crash. I still don't shave since my sensitive skin makes constant razor burn that's less desirable than occasional road rash, but there are more reasons for it than deep tissue massage.
Come on, this stuff has been debunked so many times.
Old 10-02-11, 09:40 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Come on, this stuff has been debunked so many times.
Now that I don't shave, I use about 3 times as much sunscreen because it keeps soaking into my leg hair. I will say I'm less likely to burn without sunscreen since I have plenty of natural "shade" now

When I crashed before I shaved, the wound got infected (green pus) because the hairs kept getting in the way and they prevented the wound from closing. It also took minutes of scrubbing to get the dirt out. With smooth skin, no infection and healed up very quickly... every time. Scrubbing took seconds.

In 19 years of cycling, I have yet to see any reports debunking those claims, but personal experience is all the proof I need. Still, if you have a link to these multiple debunkings, I'd be happy to give them a look.
Old 10-02-11, 09:50 PM
pgjackson

Now that I don't shave, I use about 3 times as much sunscreen because it keeps soaking into my leg hair. I will say I'm less likely to burn without sunscreen since I have plenty of natural "shade" now

When I crashed before I shaved, the wound got infected (green pus) because the hairs kept getting in the way and they prevented the wound from closing. It also took minutes of scrubbing to get the dirt out. With smooth skin, no infection and healed up very quickly... every time. Scrubbing took seconds.

In 19 years of cycling, I have yet to see any reports debunking those claims, but personal experience is all the proof I need. Still, if you have a link to these multiple debunkings, I'd be happy to give them a look.
Spray on your lotion...no wiping needed. I've had plenty of road rashes on my legs before...never had a problem with infection due to hair. Good Lord. Do you shave your arms also? Every time I have fallen off my arms seem to take the worst of it. I guess if you feel it's worth shaving every couple of days in order to save a few minutes cleaning an infrequent wound, well I can't argue that.
Old 10-02-11, 10:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I guess if you feel it's worth shaving every couple of days in order to save a few minutes cleaning an infrequent wound, well I can't argue that.
You missed something you quoted yourself. Let me help you out there.
I still don't shave since my sensitive skin makes constant razor burn that's less desirable than occasional road rash...
As for spray on lotion, I've burned with it too many times, usually in a weird splotchy pattern too. I only use spray lotion to reapply the rub-in stuff.

As for you landing on your arms more than your legs, you might not be falling correctly and might want to evaluate that before you break a collarbone. Note, only you can determine this. If you're not reaching out with your hands when you fall, you're doing it right even if you happen to land on your arms.

I'd still like to see the debunking evidence, though.
Old 10-03-11, 03:16 PM
alexfboyle
uʍop ǝpısdn s,ʇı

Bikes: GT ZR 3.0 Team Lotto, Specialized Rockhopper, Mangusta 3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Only requirement that I know is that you must have a razor.
You must also have some sort of lubricant, lest you slice off large chunks of your legs.
Old 10-03-11, 03:26 PM
hiyer1

Bikes: 2012 Cervelo S5 Rival and 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Di2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess there aren't any "requirements" per say

but honestly? if you're worrying about aerodynamic drag caused by hair on your legs, then you should already be pretty fast as it is, you should be at the point where something like leg hair really matters enough to affect your times...if you're not at that point yet, then I won't say that it's a waste of time, I'll just say there are other things you can focus on to improve your performance.
Old 10-03-11, 03:28 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by alexfboyle
You must also have some sort of lubricant, lest you slice off large chunks of your legs.
Plain soap works just fine. I don't shave my legs, but a good lather of plain soap works just fine on the face. Essentially, all shaving cream is is foamy soap with some extra stuff in it. Haven't bought shaving cream in about 4 years.
Old 10-03-11, 03:30 PM
kbro1986

Bikes: Ti

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess my question wasn't 'what are the benefits of shaving your legs as a cyclist'. My view on the act of shaving your legs is that it is a right of passage into the sport. So, my question is what must you achieve/possess that gives you the right to shave your legs?
Old 10-03-11, 03:39 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by kbro1986
I guess my question wasn't 'what are the benefits of shaving your legs as a cyclist'. My view on the act of shaving your legs is that it is a right of passage into the sport. So, my question is what must you achieve/possess that gives you the right to shave your legs?
Right of passage? Huh? I don't shave, so I guess I don't belong. So sad. Seriously, that is the dumbest reason to shave.

You want to be a cyclist, the only thing you have to do is ride your freaking bike. Shaving your legs doesn't make you one thing or the other. Are you really that concerned about how your legs look? Man-up dude. Reminds me of when I had a motorcycle...about 50% of the Harley market is made up of guys who ride maybe three times a month, but like to think of themselves as bad-ass "bikers" and wear black leather.
Old 10-03-11, 04:28 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
The inclination to do so.

You're way overthinking this. It's not like the roadie equivalent of a teardrop tattoo.
Old 10-03-11, 04:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by superflylondon
If your worried about your friends and family teasing you relentlessly with homophobic type remarks you first need new friends/family that are not so narrow minded/in the closet about there true feeling, or however you want to say that a person who is actually bothered by someones personal choice that in no way effects their daily lives. I call those people judgmental idiots who have no life of their own.
Why are you showing off your newly shaved legs to your friends and family...?
Old 10-03-11, 07:10 PM
ClanLee
Slow and Steady

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lowcal
I am italian, so if i shave i would go through 100 razors, and it would grow back the next day.
LOL, you must not be doing it right. All the Italians on the tour had nice smooth legs.
Old 10-03-11, 07:24 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How about tweezers?
Old 10-03-11, 08:54 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Seriously, that is the dumbest reason to shave.
Yep. And yet that is probably the reason half of these guys do it.

So, my question is what must you achieve/possess that gives you the right to shave your legs?
It's still the same answer. A razor. There are fast riders with hairy legs and slow riders with shaved legs. You decide which crowd to be in, and I promise you that there will be people who tease you for making that decision. I actually had a lady pass me up a climb and say "if you shaved your legs, you'd be climbing faster" to which I replied "only because my wife would stop sleeping with me, giving me more time to ride".
Old 10-03-11, 09:22 PM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do it because I like the way it looks. I prefer using a cheapo hair conditioner instead of shaving cream and any female-designed razor with a pivoting head.
Old 10-03-11, 10:01 PM
cleon
Recently Addicted

Bikes: M1 w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only shave one.
Old 10-03-11, 11:24 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cleon
I only shave one.
I tried that once but I found myself cycling in circles.
Old 10-03-11, 11:48 PM
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dear everyone participating in this thread,
please don't shave your legs. your hardass father will thank you.
thanks.
Old 10-04-11, 04:51 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
someone need to be serious here....
i'm thinking about shaving...but worried that if I am a FRED with shaved legs.... people might think other things
If guys are looking at your legs you may need some new friends. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 10-04-11, 06:08 AM
back4more

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord
The only rule of shaving your legs is you don't talk about shaving your legs.

When people ask you about it, you just shrug it off and change the subject.
"why do you shave your legs?" - "woah! did you see that elephant ****ing that pig over there?" then run away.
Wow there - have you been peeping in my window?
Old 10-04-11, 07:11 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...and hair on your legs.
Old 10-04-11, 07:13 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ILUVUK
I do it because I like the way it looks. I prefer using a cheapo hair conditioner instead of shaving cream and any female-designed razor with a pivoting head.
My daughter (18) hijacked my Gilette Fusion 5 blader because she says the wimmins razors aren't as good. Got me a deal on eBay a few years back on an 84 pack of blades for $80. Kids - first college, then my razor blades.
Old 10-04-11, 07:38 AM
cleon
Recently Addicted

Bikes: M1 w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The trick is to keep the shaved leg on the windward side.

Originally Posted by HokuLoa
I tried that once but I found myself cycling in circles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.