Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Merz Bicycle mentioned on Craiglist thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-23, 01:33 PM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1,445 Times in 177 Posts

I think it makes sense to start a new thread about the Merz bike that's for sale on Craigslist: https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...636256347.html

I bought two bikes from the couple who originally purchased them from me as custom built frames, they were living in Portland Oregon at the time. This one was the woman's. I can't seem to find the build sheet, or the frame number. The number stamped on the BB was not by me, I don't know what it is. The bike was poorly stored when I got it, so bad that I had to repaint it. I had Ed Litton paint it, the white color was something he was doing for someone else. It saved me some money by having him do this one at the same time. I put it on consignment at Winning Wheels bike shop in Pacific Grove, and a guy who has a house in Carmel bought it. He lives in Kansas, his name is Bill. I assume he is the one selling it on Craigslist. It looks like Bill has changed the saddle and let the bike degrade a bit, it dosen't present very well in the Craigslist photos. The frame was in good shape when I sold it about 5 years ago, and the bike should make someone happy. More photos of when I sold it, August 2018: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JZmgQ1CGF4c69wq86

Last edited by Portlandjim; 06-25-23 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling problems
Old 06-25-23, 06:14 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 1,070 Times in 556 Posts
I saw that one this morning and thought, “wow, cool!” Someone will get a neat bike and authentication. Win!
Old 06-25-23, 07:27 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,035 Times in 991 Posts
I have been really slow to realize "I should add "Merz" to my Craigslist (and eBay) alerts. I have had the privilege of owning three (used) Davidsons--a Signature and two Impulses, all long since sold--but one has to get his early frames, to me it seems, to get anything with tire and fender clearance beyond 25mm. Contrast that with the above Merz and seemingly every other one I see having ample room, I'd really like to find one. Since @merziac has a bunch of tall ones that he'll understandably never sell, I'll have to be on the lookout for any ~65cm frames...

Sorry to see that one not as well kept--for the second time around!--that always bums me out.
Old 06-25-23, 08:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 6,513 Times in 3,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Portlandjim
I think it makes sense to start a new thread about the Merz bike that's for sale on Craigslist: https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...636256347.html

I bought two bikes from the couple who originally purchased them from me as custom built frames, they were living in Portland Oregon at the time. This one was the woman's. I can't seem to find the build sheet, or the frame number. The number stamped on the BB was not by me, I don't know what it is. The bike was poorly stored when I got it, so bad that I had to repaint it. I had Ed Litton paint it, the white color was something he was doing for someone else. It saved me some money by having him do this one at the same time. I put it on consignment at Winning Wheels bike shop in Pacific Grove, and a guy who has a house in Carmel bought it. He lives in Kansas, his name is Bill. I assume he is the one selling it on Craigslist. It looks like Bill has changed the saddle and let the bike degrade a bit, it dosen't present very well in the Craigslist photos. The frame was in good shape when I sold it about 5 years ago, and the bike should make someone happy. More photos of when I sold it, August 2018: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JZmgQ1CGF4c69wq86
Tx Jim.
Old 06-25-23, 08:17 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 6,513 Times in 3,737 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I have been really slow to realize "I should add "Merz" to my Craigslist (and eBay) alerts. I have had the privilege of owning three (used) Davidsons--a Signature and two Impulses, all long since sold--but one has to get his early frames, to me it seems, to get anything with tire and fender clearance beyond 25mm. Contrast that with the above Merz and seemingly every other one I see having ample room, I'd really like to find one. Since @merziac has a bunch of tall ones that he'll understandably never sell, I'll have to be on the lookout for any ~65cm frames...

Sorry to see that one not as well kept--for the second time around!--that always bums me out.
Good idea and be advised that most only last 15 min. to 24 hrs max and usually are not cheap/reasonable at all.

The last big one that was for sale was originally $1400 frame only, I looked at it, drug my feet, couple weeks later I get an alert, its on PDX CL, $1200, messaged the seller 12 min after posting, "sold 5 min ago, sorry".

This one is as nice as you will find despite the current state and price, the last 2 that came up were in very sorry shape and still went for good money.

Being quick on the draw and stepping up $$$$$$ wise will still leave you needing plenty of luck IMO.
Old 06-26-23, 06:57 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 680 Posts
The good news is that it was probably ridden no more than 3-4 times so somebody will get a nice bike for sure

does look a bit sad on flat tires with tatty seat

/markp
Old 06-26-23, 03:24 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 453 Posts

The link leads to this, "This posting has been deleted by its author."