Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Ronde van Vlaanderen

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 12:25 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
well this is refreshing. A thread in Professional... that isn't about doping. I half expected to see no thread here.

I'm not sure I like the Ronde without the Muur, however the circuit and 3 climbs of Koppenberg, Paterberg etc. was really interesting.
and it was nice to see some different team tactics given the new course.
some post race thoughts, Feed Zones need to be better controlled, maybe have them grouped by team? dunno.
Spectators should not be allowed on the road when races (either breakaways or main peloton) is withing 1K. let radios clue
the local constabulary in and they clear the freaking road.
If a pedestrian does cause crash due to their stupidity mandatory fine, or death sentence, either one works for me.

all in all I enjoyed it, looking forward to Paris Roubaix. God I love classics season.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 04-02-12, 01:29 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone know of a rebroadcast this week? Could of sworn I saw that nbc sports had it several times this week now no sign of it.
Old 04-02-12, 02:20 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Awesome race sorry to see all the carnage! That spectator hopefully has a scar!
Well to be fair, the cyclist (forget the name) was trying to get ahead by riding on the sidewalk, so not really so much the spectators fault. You only get one chance to watch a professional race whizz bye on its way to some far away destination, it's hard to blame them for not pinning themselves up against the buildings to ensure a 100% obstruction-free zone for racing. Come inside the barrier (which there was none in this case), that's a different story.
Old 04-02-12, 02:21 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Went to watch it on "de Beerendries" with my 2 year old kid ... good time and I was surprised at the enormity of the crowd there!
I was at Koppenberg. There was a big screen, frituur, and beer stand at the top. The crowd went wild at the end. Oudenaarde was quite crazy too. Good times.
Old 04-03-12, 08:27 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I didn't really think it was the fan's fault. Those guys hopped on the sidewalk really fast and he was trying his best to get the hell out of the way - I can sort of see his point: he didn't want to stay in the way and potentially block the riders from re-joining the pack, and so made a bad judgement in the heat of the moment.

Ironically, just 2 minutes ago, I was mentioning to some friends how better-behaved the Belgian fans appeared to be in terms of giving the riders room, compared to some of the muppets on the Grand Tour climbs.
Old 04-03-12, 09:38 AM
daveF

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cthenn
Well to be fair, the cyclist (forget the name) was trying to get ahead by riding on the sidewalk, so not really so much the spectators fault. You only get one chance to watch a professional race whizz bye on its way to some far away destination, it's hard to blame them for not pinning themselves up against the buildings to ensure a 100% obstruction-free zone for racing. Come inside the barrier (which there was none in this case), that's a different story.
Don't forget, this is Belgium. Very normal to race on the sidewalk as well as the road. Belgium spectators are used to this & that is why you often see them standing well back against a building. Watch Brabantse Pijl, the entire peloton will bunny hop sideways onto a sidewalk to avoid cobles. That spectator must not have been from Belgium!

Last edited by daveF; 04-03-12 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-03-12, 09:12 PM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panic
Tpretty cool that it went through your town. Was this because of the new course, or has it always gone through.
Actually I think it always goes through Kortrijk regularly on the way to hills.
Old 04-03-12, 09:20 PM
Panic
Rocking the roads of Bama

Bikes: Trek 1200, Masi Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've only been in Belgium a few times, and never for the Classics. I think I like the Classics better than the grand tours for some reason.
Old 04-03-12, 11:09 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlaam4ever
Kortrijk
You don't happen to work for Scientific Atlanta(Cisco), do you?