Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Anyone else using Cyclemeter app?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Anyone else using Cyclemeter app?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 01:05 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Both Cyclometer and my bike computers are set to count time while actually cycling, rather than stopped time. As John V stated, Cyclemeter reports riding time (while you are actually moving) and stopped time. My bike computers are set to only record time while my bikes are moving -- so the timer quits when you are at red lights, coffee shops breaks, etc.

Obviously, the two systems are using a different means to record moving time. However, I suspect that the bike computers are more accurate than Cyclometer. I watch the timer function on bike computers while I am riding and see them stop recording at red lights, although sometimes a few seconds might tick off before stopping. I can't actually watch Cyclometer while riding, but when I compare times after rides, Cyclometer records less time -- ranging from a few minutes on shorter rides to 5-10-20 minutes on longer rides. I presume that Cyclometer is set to stop recording time when you speed drops below a certain mph, but not sure if that's the case.

I have tried other cycling apps such as Strava and MapMyRide, but prefer the functionality of Cyclemeter. However, perhaps I should try some of these other apps to see if I get the discrepancies in time compared by my bike computers.
After reading your post, it got me thinking about when Cyclemeter actually starts and stops the timers. On today's ride, I displayed my RFLKT screen page to the one I have set up for time; it display's ride time, stopped time and total time. As I came to a stop, I did notice a slight lag in time between the time I stopped and the time that Cyclemeter started the stopped time clock but hardly no lag between the time I started back on the ride and the ride time clock starting back up. I stopped about 6 times on a 50 mile ride so the extra time it took between lag time and the stopped time clock kicking in couldn't have been more than a minute.

What I think is happening here is the speed/cadence sensor is not sending a signal to Cyclemeter, which then goes into sensor fail mode and starts using GPS, which now has a lag between the time it starts reading the GPS data and the time the GPS data shows that you are not moving. When you start up again, the speed/cadence sensor sends a signal and starts the ride time timer. I have Stop Detection turned ON so I think that if it were off, even if you have a speed sensor, it would keep the ride timer going because it is using the time from the GPS data.

Anyway, that's my observation. I don't know how much that matters to others, but had I not tried it today, I would never have known about the slight lag time when stopping. I guess that for me, it's not a big issue.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-26-16, 08:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Tagging onto this existing thread since it's fairly recent...

I bought the full featured version of Cyclemeter after trying the freebie version, Wahoo Fitness and all the usual suspects for several months. Cyclemeter suits me best, and the auto pause/resume feature suits my preferences. I usually set the app before leaving home, stick the phone in a handlebar bag and don't look at it again until I finish the ride.

The only feature I was missing was a privacy zone map option to obscure the precise starting/stopping point, in case I want to share a route on social media. GPS is so precise now you could actually tell which room I was in when I started and stopped the app. I don't care to share that much specific info online. But I do enjoy seeing the mapped routes other folks ride so I can explore them as well.

I wrote an email to Cyclemeter Monday afternoon asking if this feature was available and I was just overlooking it. Then I went for a ride. By the time I got home an email reply from the folks at Abvio support was waiting. They said they'd consider my question a feature request and they'll pass the suggestion along to the programmers.

For folks who aren't competitive and don't really care about comparing times with other cyclists, Cyclemeter is a great alternative to Strava at a fraction of the price. Adding the map privacy zone feature would make it darned near perfect.
Old 12-26-16, 08:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel

More troubling to me, however, are the inconsistencies in mileage and time. Compared to the cycle computers on my handlebars, the distances shown by Cyclemeter are almost always longer and the times shorter. For example, on my commute yesterday, my cycle computer showed 32.0 miles in 2:11 hours. Cyclemeter showed 32.7 miles in 2:08 hours.
People report the same thing on a regular basis. However it's very possible that both are accurate, though different.

You need to understand that they measure distance differently, and which is correct depends on what you want to know.

GPS systems measure "map" distance by adding the small distances you travel between way points. This is the shortest distance for a given route from A to B.

However, the real distance can and will be longer, for example if you do a small loop back to check or your riding buddy, or swing wide on turns, or slalom to climb hills, or any small maneuver of this type that has your front wheel cover a longer distance than the shortest straight line possible. In fact if you mount two identical bike computers front and rear, the front one will slowly pull away from the rear because the front wheel does in fact travel farther than the rear, though both don't actually pull apart.

I also wonder about how GPS systems account for hills. Obviously if you ride over the mountain to get from A to B, it's a longer trip that if you went through a tunnel without having to climb.

So, what distance interests you. Knowing you got from A to B which are 30 miles apart, or how far your wheel rolled along the way? (which wheel?)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-26-16, 10:51 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
In fact if you mount two identical bike computers front and rear, the front one will slowly pull away from the rear because the front wheel does in fact travel farther than the rear, though both don't actually pull apart.
I can't add anything regarding the OP's question, but I can confirm that this phenomenon does take place. It occurred when I began mounting a second computer on my wife's bars on our tandems. Had me confounded for a few rides. I now splice the wires together, running both computers off of the output of one magnet/sensor.
Old 12-27-16, 10:34 AM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I have had similar experiences to those the OP reported. Ride times are a little shorter and ride distances are a little longer. Elevations are sometimes close to what I think they should be, and at other times they and totally wacky.

I use my wired bike computers for my "official" mileages and times.
Old 12-27-16, 12:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
I can't add anything regarding the OP's question, but I can confirm that this phenomenon does take place. It occurred when I began mounting a second computer on my wife's bars on our tandems. Had me confounded for a few rides. I now splice the wires together, running both computers off of the output of one magnet/sensor.
Why does your wife want the computer, and do you both look at it and discuss the display?

I use ridewithgps, and it's probably the same in elevation reporting. When I ride over a bridge, it thinks I'm on the surface of the water, so it reports more descending and ascending than I actually do.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-27-16, 03:53 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Originally Posted by noglider
Why does your wife want the computer, and do you both look at it and discuss the display.
No, we don't discuss it, she just likes to be able to glance down and see how far and fast, same as any other rider.
Old 12-27-16, 05:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

No, we don't discuss it, she just likes to be able to glance down and see how far and fast, same as any other rider.
OK, I get that. Clever of you to hook it up that way, as well as considerate. I'll ask mine if she's interested. She kinda likes these gadgets. We started riding a tandem this year.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-27-16, 06:14 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by noglider
OK, I get that. Clever of you to hook it up that way, as well as considerate. I'll ask mine if she's interested. She kinda likes these gadgets. We started riding a tandem this year.
Good for you! If you try it, make sure you use 2 computers of the same make. I had problems when I mixed Cateye and another type.
I believe you and I have met on Tom. McM's Croton Aqueduct rides.

Last edited by kaos joe; 12-27-16 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-27-16, 06:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I believe you and I have met on Tom. MoM's Croton Aqueduct rides.
You are correct. I was unable to make it this year, though I don't remember why. Last year, I decided at the last minute not to go, as I was too sick to go. It's a fun ride - bigly!

Old 12-27-16, 08:10 PM
kaos joe

That should of course have been Tom McM, not "MoM"

I've missed the last 2 also. First Dad's illness, then work. I'm going to try to not let that happen again.
Old 12-27-16, 08:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
That should of course have been Tom McM, not "MoM"

I've missed the last 2 also. First Dad's illness, then work. I'm going to try to not let that happen again.
tell me more about this. The aqueduct is only a short ride across the grain from here.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-28-16, 12:06 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by FBinNY
tell me more about this. The aqueduct is only a short ride across the grain from here.
FB,

PM sent.
Old 12-29-16, 07:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@FBinNY, it's a great ride. I don't remember the length, but it's not too much for me. The terrain is a bit of a challenge, especially on a road bike, which is all I ride, but I manage. It's fun. I hope you join us next year. It's held in October. I trust @kaos joe will get you connected to the list.

Old 01-06-19, 08:00 AM
Connie40023

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclemeter Elite

I've been using Cyclemeter for nearly 2 years now and I'm very pleased with the detailed data and relative accuracy when compared to my onboard computer. I have used other apps and have experienced almost constant irritation with the inconsistencies in those apps. Yes, I like some of the features of the more social apps but, to analyze data and track my progress, Cyclemeter is my app of choice.