Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2018 Fuji Jari steel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 05:53 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2018 Fuji Jari steel?

I was looking into Fuji Jari as a possible purchase, up against Specialized Diverge and Raleigh Willard, and came across a couple sites that may have jumped the gun and put up the 2018 Jari 2.1 for sale or pre-order.

Listed geometry is the exact same as the 2017s, but this one is Elios 2 chromoly (even the fork) compared to aluminum + carbon fork of the 2017 1.whatever models.

Nice paintjob as seems to always be the case with Fuji.
Fender mounts, rack mounts, lots of bottle mounts, and presumably like the 2017s it takes 42c tires or 2" with 650b wheels.

One of the sites says coming in August/September.

Bikecraze.com says $999 on sale for $899 which seems like a great price for a nice steel bike with Tiagra, but it's also "currently unavailable".

Frame:

Custom-butted Elios 2 chromoly, rack & fender mounts, Triple bottle mount, Flat mount disc, top tube bento box mount

Fork:

Elios 2 Chromoly w/ 1 1/8” - 1 1/2” tapered steerer, flat mount disc, low-rider water bottle and rack mounts

Crankset:

FSA Vero Pro Adventure, 46/30T

Bottom Bracket:

FSA sealed-BSA thread

Pedals:

N/A

Front Derailleur:

Shimano Tiagra, 28.6mm clamp

Rear Derailleur:

Shimano Tiagra GS, 10-speed

Shifters:

Shimano Tiagra STI, 10-speed

Cassette:

Shimano HG500, 11-34T, 10-speed

Chain:

KMC X10 w/ MissingLink, 10-speed

Wheelset:

WTB SX19, 32/32h, quick release sealed hubs

Tires:

Clement X’Plor USH, 700 x 35c, 30tpi, wire bead

Brakeset:

Tektro Lyra mechanical disc, 160mm rotors

Brake Levers:

Shimano Tiagra STI

Headset:

FSA No. 42, 1 1/8” - 1 1/2”, integrated cartridge

handlebar:

Oval Concepts 325, 6061 alloy, 31.8mm clamp, 125mm drop, 25° flare, 4° sweep

Stem:

Oval Concepts 313, 3D-forged 6061 stem body, +/-7°

Tape:

Oval Concepts 300 bar tape, suede

Saddle:

Oval Concepts 238, steel rail

Seatpost:

Oval Concepts, 6061 alloy, 27.2mm diameter

Last edited by curttard; 08-02-17 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 05:57 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
No thru axles would be a deal killer for me. The next new bike I get will have to have all the updated stuff, and QR's on disc bikes are fading out.
Old 08-02-17, 08:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Hot dang thats a bike full of mounts!

3 bottle mounts, anything cage fork mounts, rack and fender moints for both rear and fork, and bento mount.

Sweet color. The matted Fuji colors rock.

And the gearing is, as Bueller said- so choice!
Old 08-03-17, 05:53 AM
cobra_kai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope they offer a reasonably priced frameset. I think the Jari has a quick release fork on the lower end models but through axle on the more expensive ones. The rear can be converted between through axle and quick release. At least that's how it is on the current aluminum model.
Old 08-03-17, 06:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I like this bike.
Old 08-03-17, 06:40 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fuji seems to always nail it with their paint/design. Simple, clean graphics and nice complementary colors.
Old 08-03-17, 07:47 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And the lower-end 2.3, with Sora/Alivio:

Old 08-04-17, 06:14 PM
VQuick

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Jari will have two levels. The 2.x are those steel framed versions and the 1.x are the same aluminum frame design with thru axles as the 2017 models. Unfortunately the Japanese announcements that came out last month mentioned that they were dropping the frameset only option, but I hope they still offer it for the American market.

The new colors look sweet, and the carbon fork now has bottle cage mounts.
Old 08-04-17, 08:33 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I test-rode the 2017 Jari 1.7 today. Unfortunately they set it up with the seat too low and it wouldn't shift onto the big ring, so it was kind of a waste as a test ride. I also don't like those flared handlebars.

The 1.7 is listed by Fuji as 22.72lb (no pedals), but stock with whatever platform pedals Performance threw on, I weighed it as 24lb (compared to 22.5lb for Diverge E5 Comp with test-ride platform pedals).

I will say that the 1.7 paintjob looks incredible in person, one of the best looking bikes I've seen. It looks great on the website but gorgeous in person:

I wish I could get the 1.3 (105 components, claimed weight of 21.56lb) with the 1.7 paintjob.
Old 08-04-17, 11:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

So what are the 3 tabs on the underside of the top tube on the 2.3 and 2.1?
They look like cable guides.

Speaking of cables, it doesnt look like the 2.3 has an FD cable set up. And the RD cable for both looks slack along the chainstays.

Maybe its poor view angle?...hopefully.
Old 09-07-17, 06:51 AM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Interested until I looked up the specs. No thru axles, and weigh 28.28 lbs (Jari 2.3). Although I'm a steel bike fan, in the case of the Jari, I think I'd have to go Alu considering the substantial weight savings. I guess you have to consider that the 2-series Jaris are relatively inexpensive bikes, though, so you're not going to get a light bike with the latest features.

I do like the bento box mount, could be handy.
Old 09-07-17, 08:21 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I do like steel.

No reason why a steel bike shouldn't be within 2lbs of carbon or aluminum. Or, take the $$$ saved over carbon and get better components to get the weight back down...
Old 09-07-17, 02:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by chas58
I do like steel.

No reason why a steel bike shouldn't be within 2lbs of carbon...
Sure there is- cost.
Old 09-07-17, 02:57 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
i don't know. I have a steel bike mountain bike that is cheaper than my carbon, but weighs the same due to having a high grade of components. It works for me.
Old 09-07-17, 02:58 PM
Deskdreamer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I test rode the Jari 1.1/1.3 and the Diverge Comp E5 recently. Really liked both. I think the Diverge fit me better and was my favorite, but both of them were nice bikes.
Old 09-07-17, 06:44 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
I love my steel bikes

2005 Surly Crosscheck
2007 Torelli Corsa Strada
2017 Jamis Renagade Exploit

STEEL IS REAL!

The Jari looks sweet. Jump on that!
Old 09-08-17, 09:21 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm echoing the 'if only it had thru axles'. I take my wheels off a fair bit to take my bike between workplaces, so thru axles make life a lot easier.
Old 09-09-17, 09:17 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really? I find it much faster and easier to remove and put on wheels with quick release than thru-axles.
Old 09-09-17, 10:03 AM
Soonerinfrisco

Bikes: Specialized Allez cromoly, Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the 1.5 LE from Performancebike. Honestly it is a pretty smooth riding aluminum frame. I put a carbon seatpost on mine and coupled with the Clement 35s, the rearend is very smooth. The front does chatter a bit on very rough roads and large gravel but not too bad. I would have loved to have had the choice of steel. I am shocked they did not introduce a carbon version in 2018. That could be the ONE bike.
Old 09-09-17, 09:45 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
Really? I find it much faster and easier to remove and put on wheels with quick release than thru-axles.
I think the issue with QR is that sometimes (for me most times) the disc rubs the brake pad requiring that to be readjusted.
Old 09-13-17, 10:39 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
As long as you are riding it, it still will be a Fuji. The Masi Giramondo and Jamis Renegade are both great steel gravel bikes at reasonable cost and no one is embarrassed to ride them... They have been around for a long time to and are not one of Fuji's endless iterations of models trying yet again to get it right. Just look back 3 years at what iterations Fuji has tried to throw on the market for a gravel bike, and all the while Jamis and Masi have been rock solid on enduring design and function for a top notch gravel bike at a reasonable price.

In 10 years with a Jamis or Masi you will still be loving it. After 2 years on the Fuji you will be wanting to trade it in for something better.
Old 09-13-17, 02:26 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^^ I have a 2015 Fuji Sportif and honestly my 2018 Diverge E5 Comp with Futureshock doesn't feel any better to ride. I might sell it for a loss.

I like the Fuji bikes I've seen and ridden.
Old 09-13-17, 07:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by dwmckee
As long as you are riding it, it still will be a Fuji. The Masi Giramondo and Jamis Renegade are both great steel gravel bikes at reasonable cost and no one is embarrassed to ride them... They have been around for a long time to and are not one of Fuji's endless iterations of models trying yet again to get it right. Just look back 3 years at what iterations Fuji has tried to throw on the market for a gravel bike, and all the while Jamis and Masi have been rock solid on enduring design and function for a top notch gravel bike at a reasonable price.

In 10 years with a Jamis or Masi you will still be loving it. After 2 years on the Fuji you will be wanting to trade it in for something better.
I dont own a current fuji(have one thats almost 3decades old) so i dont have a dog in this fight.

Thats a rough review of fuji to say the least.

- even if the brand's previous models were lacking to you, all that should matter is the current offerings. If the current offerings are good, then there is no downside to owning one.

- if you think fuji has offered poor gravel options in the last few years, id hate to hear how scorching your review is of Trek. Or Giant. Or Specialized.
I loathe Specialized, but can still admit that they have some solid options now(though fugly)...trek and giant apparently just arent trying.

Fuji is hardly unique if you found their previous versions lacking. And the current offerings are better than some big names.

Between proprietary components that will be dead technology soon and wonky stuff like model specific racks, lots of big names are screwing with consumers.
Fuji doesnt seem to be one thats doing such things.
Old 09-17-17, 09:27 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
As stated above, really only a few brands have the gravel bike figured out. Many, even Trek, Fuji, Felt and Cannondale are still trying to figure it out. I still own a Jari and a Tread but do not ride them. They are basically functional as a gravel bike, but are really fairly mediocre compared to the Jamis and Masi that are steel, handle beautifully and very close to the Fuji in price. The OP should try out the options for himself and see what he thinks and use this forum for a sounding board and to get other ideas to consider. The top brands that do have it figured out are Niner, Jamis, Salsa, etc. if you are on an unlimited budget, and if you want great bikes near the $1,000 price point the Masi (upgrade the brakes though) and the low end Jamis (no flaws at all) bikes are the best to look at. Fuji has some very good value bikes across the spectrum and I was not dishing all Fujis, just the Jari and Tread. They are forgettable models that you will struggle to find a buyer for when they are 2 tears old and you are longing for a better steed.

The Fuji Touring (my son owns one) and the Sportif are great bikes and great values too. So far the Jari and the Tread are not in that category.

Please PM me of you want a lightly used Jari (58cm) or Tread (60cm).

Last edited by dwmckee; 09-17-17 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 01:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by dwmckee
As stated above, really only a few brands have the gravel bike figured out. Many, even Trek, Fuji, Felt and Cannondale are still trying to figure it out. I still own a Jari and a Tread but do not ride them. They are basically functional as a gravel bike, but are really fairly mediocre compared to the Jamis and Masi that are steel, handle beautifully and very close to the Fuji in price. The OP should try out the options for himself and see what he thinks and use this forum for a sounding board and to get other ideas to consider. The top brands that do have it figured out are Niner, Jamis, Salsa, etc. if you are on an unlimited budget, and if you want great bikes near the $1,000 price point the Masi (upgrade the brakes though) and the low end Jamis (no flaws at all) bikes are the best to look at. Fuji has some very good value bikes across the spectrum and I was not dishing all Fujis, just the Jari and Tread. They are forgettable models that you will struggle to find a buyer for when they are 2 tears old and you are longing for a better steed.

The Fuji Touring (my son owns one) and the Sportif are great bikes and great values too. So far the Jari and the Tread are not in that category.

Please PM me of you want a lightly used Jari (58cm) or Tread (60cm).
Ok, so i get your view(s)- there are a few good gravel bike brands and most are junk, and Fuji's offerings are so bad that there wont be a secondary market for them a couple years after purchase.

Can you go into detail on why the Fuji Jari 2.1 is so terrible though? Just saying the new Jari 2.1 is forgettable isnt really enough, at least not for me.
Fuji Bikes | Jari 2.1

For $1000 you get...
- flat mount disc brakes which is a good current trend(apparently)
- butted cromo frame and fork for comfort and quality
- 5 bottle mounts to hold plenty of water on adventures
- flared drops for comfort and stability on gravel
- internal cable routing for clean look and reduced cable hangup
- can handle up to 42mm tire for stability on all sorts of gravel
- fender and rack eyelet mounts
- adventure crankset with great realistic gearing to fit most people who would buy this bike
- quality shifting thru Tiagra STIs and derailleurs
- excellent overall 10spd drivetrain range with 46/11 to 30/34 to handle anything from fast to spin grinding up hills
- good competent geometry, at least for my size. chainstays that are middle of the road length, tube angles and bb drop are all measurements that could be argued as good.

Basically- the disc brakes are on the entry level side of things, but at this price point its unrealistic to think you will have high quality disc brakes. And the wheelset is QR which will anger some in a comically childish way when in reality it just isnt noticable 95some % of the time and its hardly a huge deal that other 5%.

Im just at a loss for what is so terrible about this bike that its forgettable. At $1000, it seems extremely well spec'd and like most bikes at this price point, there is a concession or two that may need to be addressed by some who are demanding enough to care, but the stock components would be find for most.
Flared bars, adventure crank gearing, can fit over 40mm tires, tons of mounts, quality drivetrain all at that pricepoint...yeah i dont understand ripping on the bike.

Lets discuss your votes for making good gravel bikes.
Niner- nothing close to the budget of a Jari Steel 2.1 so thats moot.
Salsa- for 40% more, they have the Vaya Tiagra. Steel frame and fork, Tiagra drivetrain, with...QR wheels. Nicer brakes, but for 40% more cost. Everything else from Salsa is way more expensive.
Jamis- the Renegade Expat costs 20% more than the Jari 2.1, but it is a nice bike for the price. Clearance for the same width tires as Jari, steel frame like Jari, flared bar like Jari, Tiagra drivetrain like Jari, same tires as Jari. The Expat has a carbon fork though. The Jari's crankset has, in my view, a significantly better setup compared to the Expat's standard 50/34 compact. As for geometry, the Expat has head tube and seat tube angles and the same chainstay length as the Jari. The Expat has nicer brakes.
Masi- The Giramondo isnt at all a bike I would say is comparable to the Jari, or others you list. As Masi states- Designed for distance, the Giramondo is billed as the road-ready companion for long days with heavy loads. Its a bar end shifting MTB triple drivetrain. Its basically an adventure touring bike similar(extremely) to REI's COOP ADV 3.1 bike. Sure, it could be used as a gravel bike, but as Masi says, its desiged for long days with heavy loads on the road.

Gravel bikes are a wide ranging category. Some want a light road bike that can handle a 28mm tire. Some want a stable drop bar bike with a wide 40mm tire. Etc etc etc. As a result, companies are bringing out all sorts of different products to meet the varied desires of riders.
Seems to me that the Fuji Jari 2.1 is a really competent bike at the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.