Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

2019 Zwift racing stories!

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2019 Zwift racing stories!

Old 02-06-19, 11:34 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
World class guys? No.

Maybe "regional class".
Not in every race. But correct me if I'm wrong, there are actual pros who do some of the races. There are definitely pros doing the official pro race series. There are definitely pros on the platform (I see them on). I think that some may do regular races (but I can't say for 100% certain, because I don't do A races).
Old 02-06-19, 03:43 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
Not in every race. But correct me if I'm wrong, there are actual pros who do some of the races. There are definitely pros doing the official pro race series. There are definitely pros on the platform (I see them on). I think that some may do regular races (but I can't say for 100% certain, because I don't do A races).
Not in the vast majority of races.

Jump in any random A race (that take place almost any hour of the day) and it's most likely going to be comprised of a bunch of random "A" riders that might be able to podium a local or regional race, or might not.
Old 02-07-19, 11:22 PM
Radish_legs

ZHR Up & Down Race Report

Cold weather in the Dallas area with fierce wind chill. None of the buddies would be doing the hammerfest tonight. Zwift it would be. Hoping to do the ZHR Hares and Hounds race which has a cooperative element (categories racing against each other with staggered starts). But just 3 minutes before the B race start, someone tells me this is not a handicapped race. Oh no. I exit Zwift, sign in again, but don't see the H&H race, and make a quick decision to join the C race due to what I fear might be too much climbing on this course, and that my teammate texted me that he was doing the C. I managed to arrive at the start line just seconds before the start. I started pedaling right at the start, but to my chagrin my power meter was in sleep mode and the racers all zoomed away. After a few seconds, the power was on, and I started my chase to the group. It was a few minutes before I caught on with what seemed to be the main C group with my teammate. The Innsbruck course has this climb in the middle of the city. It's steep and punchy, maybe just over a minute. I knew I wanted to be near the front so that I wouldn't get caught behind gaps. The pace wasn't terrifically difficult, watts were below 400, but this split the group. Luckily I made the selection.

We started picking up A and B riders as we went, guys who had fallen off the back of their groups. I wasn't sure what the actual course for this ride would be. The description said 1 lap, so I figured it would not be a circuit race of going up that city center climb over and over. But I soon found I was wrong. We were back on that climb soon enough, and there was another selection. Now we were just a few riders. By the third time, it was just me and 1 rider left. After the 4th circuit, I noticed that there was a C rider some 3 minutes ahead of us. I texted that to the guy next to me. I don't know if that made an impact on the guy I was riding with, but he dropped out of the race a couple minutes later. And the C rider ahead also dropped out. To my chagrin I discovered that the last part of the race was a mountain-top finish.

A B rider was a minute and change ahead of me. He had been in our small group doing circuits but had ridden away from us. I didn't mark him because he was a B. But now I had a carrot ahead of me. I punched it harder going up the climb. Over 300 watts. I could see I was going faster than him. This was a 5 mile climb at an average of 5%. There were flat spots and steep spots. There was a group behind chasing as well, about 23 seconds to the rear of me. Plenty of time to catch me if I didn't go hard. Eventually I caught the B rider ahead of me. After a short time of being together, he kicked and left me behind. Going over 10 seconds ahead. I just kept to my pace and over time found myself slowly pulling him back again when we were about 1 mile from the mountain top finish. In these zwift rides you don't know anything about the other rider. Was he a climber? A sprinter? Who knows. I didn't have a powerup. I took to the front trying to keep the pace reasonably high. He was on my wheel. About 1000 feet out, I went. Averaging 641 watts over 23 seconds. I could feel my right calf almost cramping. I could see that he was 1 second back from me, so I did manage to gap him.

There was no finish screen that told me my placing. I didn't know how many B or C riders finished ahead of me. On zwift power I was marked as finishing 2nd among the Bs. Hmm, so I definitely should have raced with the Bs. 287 watts for the last 27:40 of the race, so it was a good workout, probably better than I would have done in terms of a structured workout. But not a fitness breakthrough or anything. The guy I beat headsup in the sprint sent a message saying "good sprint" and then added me as a follower on Zwift. So that's about as good a compliment as one would get in a "real" race. LOL.
Old 02-08-19, 06:23 PM
rubiksoval

That Innsbruck climb sucks. I did about 7 w/kg up it yesterday (500+w) and got spat out the front group like I wasn't even pedaling. Sucked.
Old 02-08-19, 08:16 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
I can't hang in a C group at all, forget about racing on Zwift. Zwift amplifies all my weaknesses.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-10-19, 07:13 AM
Cyclist75354986865
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just recently started with a smart trainer and wondering what you all have the trainer difficulty set to for racing?
Old 02-10-19, 11:08 AM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by tjk23
Just recently started with a smart trainer and wondering what you all have the trainer difficulty set to for racing?
I have never changed it from default.
Old 02-10-19, 11:18 AM
Radish_legs

Zwift Gran Fondo A (61.39 miles, 3934 feet elevation)

Started near the back. Was eventually in a group where the lead was about 130th of 329. The start is so important in zwift racing. If a large group ahead of you gets a gap, it's almost impossible to bridge. However, in my group, every climb led to gaps. So kept moving up. Riders from either the B or C fondo (shorter course, not slower riders) swept us up and allowed us to move up further. Then they left us (different course). And it was just 3 of us trying to hold off a small group behind us. One of the three was constantly disconnecting, so he was of no help. Funny when we weren't in the break, he never disconnected (i.e. disappearing and reappearing). Held them off for quite a while, would accelerate when they got within 5 seconds. Came together. I thought we would have a flat sprint finish with about 11 miles left. To my chagrin, I realized it would be a mountain top finish (ugh). Runt (his name on Zwift) went hard, really had to dig deep to stay on his wheel. He was strong. I think he is a young, light rider (with the name Runt you might expect that). We dropped everyone in our group, and started picking off people ahead of us. One guy stayed with us for a while, but then disappeared. I was going to wave the white flag if we were going up the radio tower. But we weren’t. I pulled the DB move of coming around him, pulling with 1000 feet left and then putting in kick to finish ahead of him. Mmmm, I don’t know. Someone pulls you up a mountain for 5 miles and you come around for 42nd. Oh well, LOL. I could have gone harder at the end, so I suppose I was playing it both ways. Trying to beat him, but not trying too hard. 2hr 38min. 251w average power. 260w normalized power. That was a good workout.

Also, that feeling when you have been saving your aero powerup for over 30 miles, only to realize you have a mountain top finish. LOL. Always know the course!
Old 02-10-19, 04:34 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by tjk23
About 40%. You set it to max and some hills (12% +) are going to cost you the race (since many don't set it at all) but its also nice having a mix of resistance during the ride.
Old 02-10-19, 06:53 PM
Radish_legs

So does Scottie Weiss really weigh 119lb?
Old 02-11-19, 04:47 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I have no interest in participating, but I'd love to spectate a zwift race sometime.
Old 02-11-19, 05:45 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I have no interest in participating, but I'd love to spectate a zwift race sometime.
Give the kiss pro series a watch. I believe they broadcast on their fb live page.

Facebook.com/gozwiftlive

Last edited by Ttoc6; 02-11-19 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-12-19, 01:14 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Give the kiss pro series a watch. I believe they broadcast on their fb live page.

Facebook.com/gozwiftlive
wow, I had no idea. thanks!
Old 02-12-19, 11:33 AM
Radish_legs

Hmm, Garmin just bought Tacx. Smart trainers are already a big deal. They are going to be a bigger deal in the future. What we are seeing in Zwift now is only the tip of the iceberg of what it could become. Imagine Star Trek holodeck. Or closer to our time, imagine a 3D headset where bikes are all around you as you turn your head. I think that will be coming soon. Immersive riding/racing on zwift. It's only scratched the surface.
Old 02-12-19, 12:20 PM
rubiksoval

Hmm, Garmin just bought Tacx. Smart trainers are already a big deal. They are going to be a bigger deal in the future. What we are seeing in Zwift now is only the tip of the iceberg of what it could become. Imagine Star Trek holodeck. Or closer to our time, imagine a 3D headset where bikes are all around you as you turn your head. I think that will be coming soon. Immersive riding/racing on zwift. It's only scratched the surface.
If you had that with some sort of rocker plate where you could lean the bike, like those motorcycle arcade games, thatd be awesome!

I despise how awful my zwift guy corners and moves in the pack. My real life greatest strength is my biggeat zwift weakness.
Old 02-12-19, 12:44 PM
Radish_legs

If you had that with some sort of rocker plate where you could lean the bike, like those motorcycle arcade games, thatd be awesome!

I despise how awful my zwift guy corners and moves in the pack. My real life greatest strength is my biggeat zwift weakness.
Many people are using rocker platforms. Some commercially made. Some home made.
Old 02-12-19, 06:09 PM
rubiksoval

Many people are using rocker platforms. Some commercially made. Some home made.
I mean one tied to actually moving your avatar. Just rocking side to side wouldn't do much for me, personally.
Old 02-12-19, 06:33 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

They have zwift for windows vr, but it's not public yet. And I can tell you, that as of today, you DO NOT want to do anything remotely physical with a vr headset on. I get so sweaty and motion sick just sitting sitting still sim racing. Can't imagine that on a bike.
Old 02-12-19, 09:46 PM
Radish_legs

Skimming FB tonight, reading from a couple of locals who are reporting feeling sick that zwift crashed and lost their rides. In one case, a 15 mile ride. In another case a group ride. Calling technical support. Trying to figure out something. It's just like if their garmin didn't record their century ride. I'm telling you, this zwift thing is only going to get bigger and bigger. Hopefully they will get some meaningful competition.
Old 02-13-19, 12:38 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
They have zwift for windows vr, but it's not public yet. And I can tell you, that as of today, you DO NOT want to do anything remotely physical with a vr headset on. I get so sweaty and motion sick just sitting sitting still sim racing. Can't imagine that on a bike.
I remember buying a Sailing game for my Oculus Rift and I got seasick af. The space games (where you float in space) are worse because you 'forget' about gravity.

Outside of z1, VR is a no go for fitness. There may be ways around it but those headsets make you sweat even until sedentary conditions.

Skimming FB tonight, reading from a couple of locals who are reporting feeling sick that zwift crashed and lost their rides. In one case, a 15 mile ride. In another case a group ride. Calling technical support. Trying to figure out something. It's just like if their garmin didn't record their century ride. I'm telling you, this zwift thing is only going to get bigger and bigger. Hopefully they will get some meaningful competition.
To steal a gaming term, the meta is changing. Less are on the road and more are on Zwift or Gravel. I'm the only one left on our team that races road, and I'm considering racing elsewhere. Problem being I'm antisocial and I dislike most of other local teams for various reasons. They're all dumb reasons but reasons nonetheless!
Old 02-13-19, 05:50 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by furiousferret
To steal a gaming term, the meta is changing. Less are on the road and more are on Zwift or Gravel. I'm the only one left on our team that races road, and I'm considering racing elsewhere. Problem being I'm antisocial and I dislike most of other local teams for various reasons. They're all dumb reasons but reasons nonetheless!
This 100%. A change in meta. I had not thought about it this way, but you're absolutely correct.
Old 02-20-19, 10:07 AM
Radish_legs

DC rainmaker on the future of e-sports cycling. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/02/...t-esports.html
Old 02-21-19, 12:52 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Less are on the road and more are on Zwift or Gravel.
I'm not sure this has actually been establish as true, has it?

My own unproven fact: there are more road riders than there are zwift + gravel riders.

my race videos
Old 02-21-19, 04:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I suppose one could use the Kurt rock and roll, but you'd lose the smart trainer aspect.

edit:

uh, actually...

https://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers...d-roll-control

Last edited by gsteinb; 02-21-19 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-21-19, 11:35 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by mattm
I'm not sure this has actually been establish as true, has it?

My own unproven fact: there are more road riders than there are zwift + gravel riders.
You are probably right, but there is a definite reduction of people riding road. Its still probably like 10-1 road riders vs gravel and zwift riders but the latter is growing. Not all places are like the SF Peninsula where most of the west side is a giant undeveloped hillside. Many areas those empty country roads are being eliminated by large development. One of our main riding roads out here essentially having a city built (3,600 houses can be called a city right?).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.