Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from West Los Angeles!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 02:10 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts

Happy Memorial Day Weekend for those of you in the USA!

Just getting back into biking now in my 40s. Hadn't really ridden since high school. My roommate has an old beater bike (likely a Target $100 from 10 years ago) so I decided to try it out. Yes it's probably a 40lbs monstrosity and it was unwieldy, but now I'm living proof of the "it's like riding a bike" saying. even though it has likely been 25 years since I was last on one, after a shaky first 5 minutes just going around the block, it suddenly started to come back to me.

Went to my LBS and bought one, slated to arrive mid-June, riding a loaner. Plan to ride to/from work, and on weekends to all the local (i.e. 5 miles or less) places that I used to drive to. Dual benefit of saving gas while also getting some cardio work in (West L.A. has a lot of hills and inclined roads).

Happy to have found this community, and I'll be peppering the forums with questions as a newbie rider!
Likes For CarloM:
Old 05-26-19, 04:08 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Hi , glad you are having a good time with all this . What did you buy ?
Old 05-26-19, 04:15 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Trek FX Sport 6. Yeah. That might put me in the more money than sense category for someone who just picked up riding again in two and a half decades.

I was set to to buy an FX 3 disc but that wasn’t much cheaper than a FX S4 which comes with disc brakes. So while I was test riding the 4 my LBS said I might want to try the 5. Once I felt the difference that carbon fiber frame made I couldn’t go back. With Trek’s current holiday sale, plus a kind discount from my LBS, the price between the 5 and 6 was under $100. At that point if I was going to get a 5...it made no sense not to spring the little bit more for a 6.

Unfortunately they had to order it, versus I could’ve rode the 5 home. So I have to wait until mid June.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 05-26-19, 04:29 PM
markwesti

Nice .

Old 05-26-19, 04:38 PM
CarloM

That’s the one! Now my wait is gonna seem even longer

I purchased a helmet, flat kit, pump, lights and water bottle kit. Also a more comfortable seat since I’ll be doing mostly city riding and the stock seat was a bit too hard for my liking. I’m also debating about an iPhone holder but not sure yet of the usefulness of that. I pretty much know my area...at least anywhere within riding distance for me, so I’m not sure I’d need it for GPS.
Old 05-26-19, 05:13 PM
markwesti

All sounds good . I'd get a lock and a Insurance policy too .
Old 05-26-19, 05:24 PM
CarloM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the lock and chain: Bontrager elite folding lock for frame and rear wheel + a chain to lock front wheel to bike. I will be storing it in house and when I ride to work it's locked in my office. When I go out and about on weekends I will generally keep it in my sight at all times (still locked up of course). Anything requiring me to stay for a long time I'll likely just drive to. I would get paranoid leaving a 2K bike outside for a prolonged period of time no matter how good of a lock I had on it.

I'll look into insurance, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if I can just add it to my renter's insurance.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 05-26-19, 08:40 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Welcome from San Diego!