Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Old 06-02-19, 07:12 PM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by here hold my ha
I bought an FX 2 last week and just added a bag, smaller than yours. I must ride knock-kneed, because I bang into that thing with every stroke. I'd probably knock myself off if I had your bag! Love the color of your bike! Mine is just basic black.
I just moved from a basic black FX 2 to this bike - Had to wait a bit longer for a color this time . In the meantime, my black FX 2 served me really well, and I'm sure yours is awesome too.
Old 06-10-19, 01:13 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Apologies for this post, but you all have quickly become my support group since my purchase.

My FX S6 has been delayed until the week of the 19th...my LBS said they hope to receive and assemble it on the 21st. It's been 3 weeks and was hoping to have it this weekend, but alas...

At least on that day (assuming it arrives per the new ETA) I have no work meetings so I've tentatively taken the day off to go to the LBS to watch them put it together. The manager there has been super helpful and friendly (Trek's stock issues aren't his fault) and he is supportive of me being there to learn the ins-and-outs of the bike and welcomes me asking questions as they put it together. I told him I'm one of those guys who likes to know how things work (I also play guitar and work on both my instrument and my amps) so I can do light repair/mods if I have to.

As the song goes, waiting is indeed the hardest part
Old 06-10-19, 03:27 PM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Apologies for this post, but you all have quickly become my support group since my purchase.

My FX S6 has been delayed until the week of the 19th...my LBS said they hope to receive and assemble it on the 21st. It's been 3 weeks and was hoping to have it this weekend, but alas...

At least on that day (assuming it arrives per the new ETA) I have no work meetings so I've tentatively taken the day off to go to the LBS to watch them put it together. The manager there has been super helpful and friendly (Trek's stock issues aren't his fault) and he is supportive of me being there to learn the ins-and-outs of the bike and welcomes me asking questions as they put it together. I told him I'm one of those guys who likes to know how things work (I also play guitar and work on both my instrument and my amps) so I can do light repair/mods if I have to.

As the song goes, waiting is indeed the hardest part
It will be worth the wait! Very cool that they'll let you supervise the assembly! I guess I was lucky when I got my FXS6. My store didn't have one in stock, but the main Trek warehouse in Ontario CA (about 5 minutes away) had 19 available. They had it to the store and assembled two days later. 3,000 miles and counting and I still love this bike! I highly recommend going tubeless after you burn through the stock tubed tires. Best upgrade I've done to this bike.
Likes For csrpenfab:
Old 06-10-19, 04:24 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
It will be worth the wait! Very cool that they'll let you supervise the assembly! I guess I was lucky when I got my FXS6. My store didn't have one in stock, but the main Trek warehouse in Ontario CA (about 5 minutes away) had 19 available. They had it to the store and assembled two days later. 3,000 miles and counting and I still love this bike! I highly recommend going tubeless after you burn through the stock tubed tires. Best upgrade I've done to this bike.
Lol "supervise the assembly". I'm so in "noob/learning" mode right now. I basically want to watch it so that I know what the heck I'm doing when I take apart and clean/maintain the bike. The LSBs charges so much for cleaning and maintenance (all of them in the West L.A. area, I'm not singling out any one place) that it will be worth it for me to buy a bike stand and tools/lubricants and the required buckets/sponges that in two full breakdowns + washes + lubrication it will have paid off for all the costs of the maintenance equipment. Since I paid 2K for this bike (I know, others on this forum have bikes costing 3X - 6X as much but for me 2K is a lot of money) I am going to make sure I maintain it and get a great life out of it.

But before I ever break it down, I want to make sure I know what I'm doing, hence why I want to be there when they put it together.
Old 06-10-19, 05:15 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Lol "supervise the assembly". I'm so in "noob/learning" mode right now. I basically want to watch it so that I know what the heck I'm doing when I take apart and clean/maintain the bike. The LSBs charges so much for cleaning and maintenance (all of them in the West L.A. area, I'm not singling out any one place) that it will be worth it for me to buy a bike stand and tools/lubricants and the required buckets/sponges that in two full breakdowns + washes + lubrication it will have paid off for all the costs of the maintenance equipment. Since I paid 2K for this bike (I know, others on this forum have bikes costing 3X - 6X as much but for me 2K is a lot of money) I am going to make sure I maintain it and get a great life out of it.

But before I ever break it down, I want to make sure I know what I'm doing, hence why I want to be there when they put it together.
Good plan, and you won't need to do much to it beyond basic cleaning and lubing and gear adjustment. Check out the Park Tools videos on youtube and you can easily maintain it yourself. The FXS6 uses "thru axles" on both ends, so have them show you how to remove the wheels. It's very easy and actually easier than normal quick releases once you understand it. I've been wrenching my own bikes for 25 years, and once I buy a bike, it never sees the LBS unless there is a warranty issue. The parts on your FX are very good quality and it will serve you well! Great idea getting a work stand, and that's the best investment you can make in maintaining your bike. I'm also very fond of the Park chain cleaning tool.
Likes For csrpenfab:
Old 06-10-19, 05:34 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
Good plan, and you won't need to do much to it beyond basic cleaning and lubing and gear adjustment. Check out the Park Tools videos on youtube and you can easily maintain it yourself. The FXS6 uses "thru axles" on both ends, so have them show you how to remove the wheels. It's very easy and actually easier than normal quick releases once you understand it. I've been wrenching my own bikes for 25 years, and once I buy a bike, it never sees the LBS unless there is a warranty issue. The parts on your FX are very good quality and it will serve you well! Great idea getting a work stand, and that's the best investment you can make in maintaining your bike. I'm also very fond of the Park chain cleaning tool.
Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to have them show me what's what with the thru axles (and I'm googling/YT'ing it as well). I'll need to get intimately familiar with it. Since I only have one bike, I can't stomach the thought of buying a hitch which will cost me almost another grand after install just to transport one bike. I think if I remove the front wheel, put a drop cloth in my backseat to prevent damage/staining, I can fit the S6 in my back seat for transport. Or drop the backseat (although my make/model car has a funky narrow and oddly shaped opening to the trunk so this may be tricky).

I've been watching a lot of those Park Tool videos and I'll likely buy their stands, chain cleaning kit and even some of their tools and torque wrench. Don't want to overtighten a CF frame for sure.
Old 06-11-19, 06:29 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to have them show me what's what with the thru axles (and I'm googling/YT'ing it as well). I'll need to get intimately familiar with it. Since I only have one bike, I can't stomach the thought of buying a hitch which will cost me almost another grand after install just to transport one bike. I think if I remove the front wheel, put a drop cloth in my backseat to prevent damage/staining, I can fit the S6 in my back seat for transport. Or drop the backseat (although my make/model car has a funky narrow and oddly shaped opening to the trunk so this may be tricky).

I've been watching a lot of those Park Tool videos and I'll likely buy their stands, chain cleaning kit and even some of their tools and torque wrench. Don't want to overtighten a CF frame for sure.
Seriously, the accessories like this are super helpful but so pricey. I recommend looking on craigslist for used options. Personally, I have taken apart my various trek bikes over the years and my current emonda road bike (take off both wheels, put bike in trunk) and this has worked out fine for me. I think a used hitch is great if you are a family and transporting several bikes. But I am with you on this sentiment - you spend a pretty penny on your bike and now need to spend the cost of a new bike MORE on a hauler. I had the same thought. None of my bikes have been damaged in transit when I have put them in my trunk.
Old 06-20-19, 07:22 PM
urbanOrange

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX Sport 4, 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb 2020 FX line

Hi all. Trek just updated their US website with some of the new 2020 FX line, including the FX Sport 4 (FX 4).

Sorry, but I can't post the direct link since I don't yet have at least 10 posts.
Old 06-20-19, 08:04 PM
urbanOrange

Originally Posted by StuBerger
Here she is ....
StuBerger, very nice. Did it come with the Affinity wheelset? I ask, because the website indicates the FX Sport 6 is the only one equipped with those wheels, at least on the 2019 run. Curious.
Old 06-21-19, 07:37 AM
urbanOrange

Some observations on the new 2020 FXs ...

All of the new 2020s added to the website have flat mount discs, both fork and frame.
The FX Sport 4 is now marked on the top tube as "FX 4" instead of "FX S 4", and it no longer has the same graphics as before. Also, it comes standard with the Bontrager R1 Hard-Case Lite tires instead of the Bontrager AW1 Hard-Case Lite tires. It seems to (based on the new pics) have actual Shimano calipers instead of the Tektro ones, and the disc rotors have changed. I'm not sure if they were Tektro previously, but they seem to be Shimanos now. I think the new pics show it to now be using the Shimano brake levers instead of the Tektro ones. The official weight has increased from 22.7 lbs to 23.11 lbs.

Last edited by urbanOrange; 06-21-19 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Added weight difference
Old 06-21-19, 07:42 AM
urbanOrange

Originally Posted by Aahzz
So this arrived today and followed me home - first pic is at the shop, second is home and accessorized
Nice Viper Red!
Likes For urbanOrange:
Old 06-21-19, 09:12 AM
CarloM

So my FX S6 is being assembled today. It was on back order from Trek, who had been out of stock in my size for nearly a month, and arrived at the LBS this week. I wonder if I’ll get any “silent upgrades” to 2020 components (like Shimano hydraulic disc brakes instead of Tektro). I doubt it, but hope springs eternal. I’ll find out in a few hours. I’ll try to take pics of it being built but I’m also in learning mode, and will be asking the LBS staff all kinds of questions so that I’m able to break down and maintain my bike as needed after I’ve put some miles on it.

Took the day off of work for the assembly, and for bedding in the brakes. Luckily there’s an enormous parking lot that won’t have a lot of cars today for me to do that in, very near the shop.
Old 06-21-19, 09:59 AM
urbanOrange

Thumbs up

So my FX S6 is being assembled today. It was on back order from Trek, who had been out of stock in my size for nearly a month, and arrived at the LBS this week. I wonder if I’ll get any “silent upgrades” to 2020 components (like Shimano hydraulic disc brakes instead of Tektro). I doubt it, but hope springs eternal. I’ll find out in a few hours. I’ll try to take pics of it being built but I’m also in learning mode, and will be asking the LBS staff all kinds of questions so that I’m able to break down and maintain my bike as needed after I’ve put some miles on it.

Took the day off of work for the assembly, and for bedding in the brakes. Luckily there’s an enormous parking lot that won’t have a lot of cars today for me to do that in, very near the shop.
Can't wait to see it. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Be sure to post pics!
Old 06-21-19, 10:12 AM
CarloM

Originally Posted by urbanOrange
Can't wait to see it. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Be sure to post pics!
Will do. It’s an action packed Friday for me. In line to buy the Raconteurs new album and if I got here early enough I should get free tickets with the album purchase for their in-store performance next week (Amoeba Records in Hollywood). Then off to my LBS for the build!
Old 06-21-19, 10:35 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Nice Viper Red!
Thanks! I love this bike so much
Old 06-21-19, 08:09 PM
urbanOrange

I have some questions about the Bontrager rims that come with the FX Sport series bikes that I'm hoping can be answered here. Going by just the TREK (US) website, the FX Sport 4/5 have the "Bontrager Tubeless Ready Disc" wheels with "Formula alloy" hubs while the FX Sport 6 is equipped with the Bontrager Affinity Tubeless Ready (disc) wheels with "Bontrager alloy sealed bearing" hubs. What's the primary difference between these two wheelsets (e.g., weight, hub efficiency, durability, etc.) besides the graphics? Personally, I think the Affinity rims look cooler with the larger Bontrager type, but performance-wise, what's the actual difference? Does anyone know the specific details. Also, if one purchased an FX Sport 4/5 can an LBS order/install the Affinity rims over the stock rims? TREK doesn't appear to list the Affinity wheels on the website as an item that can be purchased (at least by a consumer), but I'm aware they don't list every single item an LBS is able to order/sell directly to a customer. StuBerger has the Affinity wheels on the FX Sport 5, and I've seen some pics of FX Sport 4s online that also have the Affinity wheelset so maybe it's possible? Thanks for the info.
Old 06-22-19, 12:26 AM
CarloM

I am now the proud owner of an FX Sport 6. I have a few more pics of it being assembled, but I might save those for an NBD post. But I've probably put 15 miles on it today alone. I know compared to most here that isn't a lot, but for me it is.

Here's a pic of it while I was grabbing a quick bite to eat.

It is a dream to pedal. I thought the FX loaner was miles ahead of my roommate's "beater" bike; this is another similar step above what was a good bike. I went ahead and upgraded to the Shimano PD-T421 clipless/platform pedal. I do enough city riding that I thought I might want the platform half...though I've gotten so proficient at unclipping that it may not have been a problem. The included SH56 clips are fairly easy for a novice to unclip, but I haven't had any accidental disconnects so far. But if I ever want to let someone else ride my bike; having the platform side will allow me to do that. I had read a lot about the benefits of clipless, but until I tried it, I really didn't understand. I feel like I expend 25% less effort/energy to do the same amount of work.

The one negative to this bike: the saddle is very uncomfortable for me. The height and tilt are right, but it's just way narrower than the one that was on the FX, and firmer too. I'm experiencing discomfort on my rear end within 20-30m of riding. I really don't want to start spending many hundreds of dollars on padded cycling shorts, so I'm going back to my LBS tomorrow morning to try another saddle. Either the Bontrager Commuter Comp or the Sport. I think they also had a Serfas in there. They should still have the loaner bike in there so if I can get a saddle that feels close to that, it should be all good.

I'll say this, the loaner was a 3x7 drivetrain and I much prefer the gear ratios on the 2x11 105 group (not to mention the quality of the components make shifting a snap). But since I'm just getting back into biking, and am not the strongest pedaler, I was worried about only having two chainrings up front. Turns out, I needn't have worried. The 11 in the back give so much flexibility I haven't needed to go to the smaller gear in the front on short/moderate inclines. Of course I haven't tackled any monstrous grades, so I may change my tune later. But as of now, I understand how some cyclists make do with just a 1x11 drivetrain and claim to never run out of gears.

Last edited by CarloM; 06-22-19 at 12:33 AM.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 06-22-19, 09:50 AM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
Congrats. Beautiful bike.
Old 06-22-19, 10:12 AM
urbanOrange

Awesome bike, CarloM!
Old 06-22-19, 10:19 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
New 2020 trek fx models are out

hi everyone. Just a heads up that the new 2020 fx models are out. Not all of them but many of them are out and, as usual, trek is boring us to death with the colors. 🙄🙄🙄

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...nce&show=Page#

for a $1,200 bike, why do we only get 1 color choice? And silver at that?!?! Only saving grace is the fx 2 disc which comes in a nice blue. I would think the higher end models would have a better color but I’m not really liking what I see so far. I love the fx model, have owned several of them and my only complaints have always been that the brakes are cheap and stick often across all models and the color choices suck.

and this is my psa that I give every few months - now that the new 2020 models are out, go to your local trek dealer and bargain for the bikes on the floor, the 2019 models. They will be more willing to negotiate the price since the new models are out!!! So go with cash and ask for a 30% discount up front, ask for even higher on the higher end models. The fx6 for example has almost a 50% markup so they will be more negotiable on something on the higher range of the series.

Last edited by sh00k; 06-22-19 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-22-19, 11:51 AM
CarloM

Thanks guys! I decided against an NBD post because this forum doesn't seem to have a lot of those so I'll just add to this thread. Here's a couple more pics of the bike being assembled in the LBS. Heading off to Canyon right now to test ride!

Likes For CarloM:
Old 06-23-19, 06:58 AM
urbanOrange

Question FX Sport 6 Bontrager Affinity Wheelset

I have some questions about the Bontrager rims that come with the FX Sport series bikes that I'm hoping can be answered here. Going by just the TREK (US) website, the FX Sport 4/5 have the "Bontrager Tubeless Ready Disc" wheels with "Formula alloy" hubs while the FX Sport 6 is equipped with the Bontrager Affinity Tubeless Ready (disc) wheels with "Bontrager alloy sealed bearing" hubs. What's the primary difference between these two wheelsets (e.g., weight, hub efficiency, durability, etc.) besides the graphics? Personally, I think the Affinity rims look cooler with the larger Bontrager type, but performance-wise, what's the actual difference? Does anyone know the specific details. Also, if one purchased an FX Sport 4/5 can an LBS order/install the Affinity rims over the stock rims? TREK doesn't appear to list the Affinity wheels on the website as an item that can be purchased (at least by a consumer), but I'm aware they don't list every single item an LBS is able to order/sell directly to a customer. StuBerger has the Affinity wheels on the FX Sport 5, and I've seen some pics of FX Sport 4s online that also have the Affinity wheelset so maybe it's possible? Thanks for the info.
The only thing I've been able to determine myself, solely based on the TREK website, is that the Affinity TLR rims are "taller" from the rim's hook/lip to the wheel's inside surface (facing the hub), and they have 28 holes compared to 32 on the "Bontrager Tubless Ready Disc" wheels. That increased height means the spokes will presumably be shorter (unless the hub size makes up the difference?). Since they're only equipped as standard on the top-end FX Sport, DS, etc., one would think they're "better" than the other non-Affinity wheels. Do they weigh less? Are they stronger? More aerodynamic? Do they roll more efficiently?

Do any of you owners know?
Old 06-23-19, 07:17 AM
urbanOrange

CarloM, what saddle did you end up going with?

TREK/Bontrager has a "biodynamic" saddle posture categorization system which ranges from Posture 5 Leisure to Posture 1 Aerodynamic.

Posture 5 - Leisure
Posture 4 - Fitness
Posture 3 - Performance
Posture 2 - Aggressive
Posture 1 - Aerodynamic

The Bontrager Montrose line, including the Montrose Comp saddle that comes standard on the FX Sport 5/6 is considered to be part of Posture 3 Performance. The Sport and Commuter Comp saddles are part of Posture 4 Fitness.

Note that the FX Sport 4 has the same more aggressive fitness geometry of the 5/6 yet it comes standard with the H1 saddle which to my knowledge is a Posture 4 Fitness saddle. You might indeed be more comfortable on the Sport or Commuter Comp.
Old 06-23-19, 08:45 AM
CarloM

CarloM, what saddle did you end up going with?

TREK/Bontrager has a "biodynamic" saddle posture categorization system which ranges from Posture 5 Leisure to Posture 1 Aerodynamic.

Posture 5 - Leisure
Posture 4 - Fitness
Posture 3 - Performance
Posture 2 - Aggressive
Posture 1 - Aerodynamic

The Bontrager Montrose line, including the Montrose Comp saddle that comes standard on the FX Sport 5/6 is considered to be part of Posture 3 Performance. The Sport and Commuter Comp saddles are part of Posture 4 Fitness.

Note that the FX Sport 4 has the same more aggressive fitness geometry of the 5/6 yet it comes standard with the H1 saddle which to my knowledge is a Posture 4 Fitness saddle. You might indeed be more comfortable on the Sport or Commuter Comp.
I was going to look at the Sport and Commuter Comp, so it's good to know I'm on the right track. My LBS opens at 10am today so in a few hours I'll go in and have them bring out the loaner FX I was using and compare both the Sport and Commuter saddle to what was on that bike. I rode that bike for many hours without the discomfort I'm feeling on my rear end that I feel with the Montrose.

I think width may be playing a part as well, because the soreness feels like my sit bones may be wider than the support of the Montrose which is the largest size at 148mm. The Sport is 163mm (this is what comes on the low end FXs now but the loaner I used is several years old) and the Commuter Comp comes in 165 and 185. I'll let you all know what I choose.

As a sneak preview to another thread I'll start, probably in the Road Cycling forum, here's the reason I didn't get to buy my saddle yesterday:

Old 06-23-19, 01:47 PM
CarloM

New Bontrager Sport saddle fixed everything. Before I couldn’t go 15m without feeling pain. Just went on a 40m ride and not an bit of discomfort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.