Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Dual Platform Pedals?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Dual Platform Pedals?

Old 07-03-19, 07:06 AM
ilanshanon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dual Platform Pedals?

I've been riding a high-end carbon road bike with Shimano clips and using mountain bike shoes to clip in, so that I can also walk on the shoes at stops, etc. I just bought a 2020 Trek Verve 2 to use when we go on RV trips, and to add variety to cycling. I want to once again enjoy the part of cycling where you ride with family and friends, have an upright position which allows you to take in the sights, etc. However, especially when on long RV trips, there are times I want to get a good workout on the Trek. So I've ordered dual platform pedals so that I can either ride the bike with my sandals, or clip in for a hard workout with my mtb shoes. Just wondering whether anyone else is doing this with their hybrid.
Likes For ilanshanon:
Old 07-03-19, 02:06 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I definitely went this route, at the recommendation of my LBS. I had never ridden with cleats before (this was my first time cycling since I was a teen) and he had me test them out on a store bike. After a brief adjustment period I really liked them, especially the efficiency gains of being able to use the whole pedal stroke for both feet rather than just the down stroke on each foot.

But I also wanted to be able to let friends ride the bike too, so I went with some Shimano dual sided pedals and haven't regretted the decision. Also when I want to just bike somewhere and have to lug an extra pair of shoes, I also sometimes use the platform side.

Now that I've been bitten by the cycling bug, when I buy my next bike, which will probably be a road/drop down handlebar bike, I'll probably put clipless-only pedals on that one.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 07-03-19, 02:52 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
Between my mid fat bike and hybrid I’m usually swapping pedals between Shimano SPD, Shimano dual platform, and Chester Race Face. Depends where and how I’m planning to ride.
Old 07-03-19, 07:07 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
I have this type of pedal on both of my bikes (a gravel/hybrid bike and a mountain bike), and I'm very pleased with them.
Old 07-04-19, 02:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'm considering the hybrid clipless/platform pedals for one of my hybrids. Just trying to decide between Shimano type SPD or Crank Brothers style. Issi has an interesting looking clipless/platform pedal too.

I prefer platforms for city riding, with lots of stop and go and some unexpected evasive maneuvers and panic stops. But many of our group rides are in areas where I'd be comfortable clipping in, including on gravel. Foot retention makes it s a little easier to keep the foot in the sweet spot on some chipseal and gravel roads.

Main advantage I've found to foot retention isn't speed or power but stamina and comfort on longer rides. I tend to get cramps in my feet arches, calves, quads and hamstrings beyond 30 miles or so. Foot retention smooths out my pedal stroke, recruits more muscles and reduces muscle fatigue and cramps. But checking my Strava data over time, I'm not really any faster with foot retention on my road bikes than I am when using platforms on the same bikes.
Old 07-04-19, 05:15 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's the perfect pedal type for a hybrid
Old 07-04-19, 06:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I've brought my road bike on family trips but also my hybrid & mountain bike. got a family trip coming up & trying to decide again what to do.leaning toward a hybrid but I have to throw a rack on it so I can bring my share of beach supplies. when I brought the road bike I did go out for a ride alone but I had to get up early so it wouldn't interfere w/ time together. I was into fishing for a year & tried fishing w the family but I learned for me it's better to spend time w/ family when I'm spending time w/ family. I can ride alone when I'm not with them
Old 07-04-19, 06:32 AM
Hasselhof

Bikes: Merida Espresso 600 EQ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use Crankbros doubleshot 2's on my bike. They don't have particularly good reviews online, but I love them. On the flat pedal side they have plastic moldings rather than the metal pins on the 3's and as a result aren't great for grip on an MTB trail, but for mostly road and urban environments they are just fine.

I had come from standard eggbeaters which I prefer, the doubleshots are significantly harder to clip into, but once you're clipped in they are excellent.
Old 07-04-19, 07:03 AM
ilanshanon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting. I also find it hard to just go out alone on a ride, when the choice is being with the family or being alone.