Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How far to the grocery store?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How far to the grocery store?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 04:37 AM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I am afraid to leave even my beater bike unattended at the groceries.If I can't see it,I'm not going in.
Kinda sucks and limits my usage but my town is shady A.F.
Old 06-01-17, 12:58 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
When I lived in Dallas, there were a lot of stores that wouldn't allow any sort of backpack inside, and wouldn't put it behind the counter, either.

On big ticket items, it can make a major difference; you see a lot of car and heavy equipment dealerships just outside the city limits because in TX, the cities can (and usually do) charge their own 2% sales tax on top of the state's 6.25%. On a $50k purchase, that's a $1,000 tax savings. (And actually, at least picking up heavy equipment from repair is something I've found the bike handy for; ride over, strap it on the loader bucket or telehandler forks and drive back to the site.) Of course, on smaller purchases, convenience outweighs the 2% savings, but some retailers are also avoiding other city issues, like signage ordinances, high-fee permits that are essentially back door taxation, or zoning restrictions.
IME, the taxes they are trying to avoid are property taxes, which are often lower in unincorporated areas.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-01-17, 10:37 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
When someone at a shop asks me to leave my backpack with someone who isn't paying attention, I just give them a very puzzled "are you stupid?" look and ask them: "If you can't stop someone from walking out of here with your merchandise, how can you stop someone from walking out of here with my bag?"
I haven't been asked to leave a backpack, but if I was, I would probably reply "this is my purse - do you not allow purses?" or something along those lines.
Old 06-02-17, 03:35 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I shop at Aldis regularly and routinely hand my backpack to the security guard on entry. After I checkout, the pack is about 20 steps from the register. No biggie. I understand them not wanting me walking around with a bunch of stuff from Walmart in my pack and then checking out with my mix of goods.
Old 06-02-17, 05:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I shop at Aldis regularly and routinely hand my backpack to the security guard on entry. After I checkout, the pack is about 20 steps from the register. No biggie. I understand them not wanting me walking around with a bunch of stuff from Walmart in my pack and then checking out with my mix of goods.
B-B-but you are missing out on giving the store employees an earful of snarky crap about the precious contents of a backpack and feeling smugly superior about yourself if they tolerate it, or conversely, if they refuse to bend the store rule to your satisfaction you could work yourself up to a mega snit, walk out without buying anything and bragging/whining on BF about the injustice of those nasty people.
Old 06-03-17, 12:36 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
B-B-but you are missing out on giving the store employees an earful of snarky crap about the precious contents of a backpack and feeling smugly superior about yourself if they tolerate it, or conversely, if they refuse to bend the store rule to your satisfaction you could work yourself up to a mega snit, walk out without buying anything and bragging/whining on BF about the injustice of those nasty people.
I guess I just didn't appreciate the possibilities
Old 06-04-17, 04:50 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I really need to set up a grocery bike. Meijer is 1.4 miles, Aldi's is 1.5 miles and Walmart is 1.6 miles. How spoiled am I.
Old 06-04-17, 08:58 PM
5MilesLater

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 4.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, scratch my earlier statement about QFC being 1 mile away. So much of the town is under construction atm, that google Maps can't keep up and much of the route is barricaded off or just gravel and debris. I was scouting the route over the weekend, and it's a no-go.
I can take a combo of bike trail and road-that-actually-exists making it 2.5 miles one-way. Still not bad, really.
Shame the store doesn't have bike racks. You'd think they would, with all the shiny new apartment complexes nearby...
Old 06-06-17, 12:24 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by baldilocks
I really need to set up a grocery bike. Meijer is 1.4 miles, Aldi's is 1.5 miles and Walmart is 1.6 miles. How spoiled am I.
Why can't you just use the bike you have now to get groceries?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-06-17, 09:31 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by baldilocks
Those are walking distances. You need a "bundle buggy". You can buy it and use it on the same trip!
Old 06-08-17, 12:32 AM
bicyclebunny

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just starting again.

But it's exactly 1 miles to the nearest grocery store. But it's around 5.3 miles to the whole foods store.
Old 06-19-17, 08:22 AM
Lars Honeytoast

Bikes: Univega GEO Light Nine, Fixed gear, Peugeot Verona Trekking bike.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only have around 2 kilometers to closest grocery store and the hardware store is on the same street. The downtown area is 3 km away, I dont have to go far for much of anything where I live right now.
Old 06-19-17, 07:32 PM
blackieoneshot 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
2 miles to Kroger. 5 miles for hippie food. I likes hippie food.
Old 06-24-17, 12:43 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Those are walking distances. You need a "bundle buggy". You can buy it and use it on the same trip!
Not in the Texas summer if you want anything refrigerated to make it home. Even with insulated bags, I'm not getting ice cream two miles home from WalMart without a lot of melt, so walking even to the HEB at one mile wouldn't be an option. As it is, biking hard from HEB, I can get things in the freezer just as the ice cream tub is starting to feel a little soft.

And we're still 18-25 degrees from what we should expect August's daytime highs to hit.
Old 06-24-17, 12:47 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Not in the Texas summer if you want anything refrigerated to make it home. Even with insulated bags, I'm not getting ice cream two miles home from WalMart without a lot of melt, so walking even to the HEB at one mile wouldn't be an option. As it is, biking hard from HEB, I can get things in the freezer just as the ice cream tub is starting to feel a little soft.

And we're still 18-25 degrees from what we should expect August's daytime highs to hit.
What method do you use to keep the cold stuff cold?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-24-17, 11:31 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Lightly insulated bags and ride fast. ~8 minutes from HEB to home, depending on traffic. Not a chance I could do that walking, much less dragging a cart of groceries. The big hill on the way back from WalMart makes it closer to 15 minutes most of the time even though I can avoid a couple of traffic areas on that route.
Old 06-25-17, 12:38 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Lightly insulated bags and ride fast. ~8 minutes from HEB to home, depending on traffic. Not a chance I could do that walking, much less dragging a cart of groceries. The big hill on the way back from WalMart makes it closer to 15 minutes most of the time even though I can avoid a couple of traffic areas on that route.
We had a thread on this topic not long ago. I don't know if it will help, but here's the link:
https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...ping-cold.html

There have been other threads about this in past years. One suggestion I remember involved a large picnic cooler on a trailer. This would keep cold foods chilled for hours, and frozen foods would even do alright for quite a while. Of course you have to have the trailer....

One method I've used is to just pack together several cold items and wrap in newspaper (or another insulator if you prefer. For produce, I have wrapped it in wet newspaper and it will stay fresh on a hot day for several hours. This works in Michigan summers, but I know it gets a lot hotter in Texas.

Remember, this is not only a problem for carfree people. Even in a car, the trunk will get 40 degrees hotter than the outside air and your perishables will get warm in just a few minutes. At least I try to remember to get the cold stuff last at the store, just before checking out.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-26-17, 12:36 PM
webbach

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang, I'm only 2.3 miles to the Aldi I use all the time. Haven't biked it...family of 5 with just a mountain bike with front bag. I could probably carry everything in an old kid carrier or something, maybe I'll troll freecycle for one...
Old 06-26-17, 12:51 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

There's probably a way to keep the stuff cold, like using an insulated bag inside an insulated carrier, and bringing your own freezer packs. However my problem would be keeping myself cool!
Old 06-26-17, 02:10 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I've got a nice grocery store that is about 3-4 blocks away which I'll normally walk to rather than ride. Of course, I stop there on my bike on my way home very often. I'll be doing that tonight when I ride home from work to pick up dinner.

Most of the errands I run by bike tend to be like that as I like to incorporate multiple destinations/jobs into a ride.
Old 06-30-17, 07:38 AM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Actually, managed 6 minutes last night from HEB to my garage. The college is doing some construction and has all the "shortcuts" across campus shut down, so I had to take the US highway (business spur) home. Straighter shot, and since the first half mile is moderately heavy traffic, and the rest is one lane each way with curbs right at the lane edges, I pretty much hammer it all the way home. It's not quite all downhill, but the one climb is short and maybe 3% at worst.
Old 07-01-17, 12:33 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by webbach
Dang, I'm only 2.3 miles to the Aldi I use all the time. Haven't biked it...family of 5 with just a mountain bike with front bag. I could probably carry everything in an old kid carrier or something, maybe I'll troll freecycle for one...
My opinion is that in a family of five, more than one person should be helping to haul the groceries!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-30-19, 05:39 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
I double-bag with insulated freezer bags, the kind with the inside that looks like foil. Might sound silly, but double-bagging makes a big difference. That's an insulated freezer bag inside an insulated freezer bag.

Also, the more frozen stuff in the bags, the better it works. This increases the "thermal mass".

Where I'm living now, I do some bulk shopping at a place about 15-20km (9-13mi) away, and load up my panniers. In Wellington summer it gets about 22°C (72°F) and a few kg of frozen berries stays frozen solid for the 50-60 minute trip from the store to my freezer at home.

Old 08-01-19, 07:12 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Why can't you just use the bike you have now to get groceries?
Good Bike needs to be able to go trail riding at a moments notice. In-climate weather/grocery bike can have folding baskets, which it now does.

Originally Posted by cooker
Oh no, I don't believe in walking. Started biking because most of the roads were not smooth enough to Rollerblade. If I can't skate or bike, I'm driving my wife's Rav 4 or my truck (which gets 12 MPG)
If it's not fun, I'm not doing it!!!
Old 08-02-19, 09:27 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts

1 mile to Trader Joe. 3 miles to Costco. 1.6 miles to the produce market/butcher. Natural Grocery is 3.5 miles, and the Berkeley Bowl is 5 miles. Lots of choices and easy to get to with my Burley Travoy and one of my folding bikes. Insulated bag liner inside the Travoy bag for frozen stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.