Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I have doubts! help me

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

I have doubts! help me

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 07:17 AM
TemptatioN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have doubts! help me

Hello! I'm new to the forum and wanted the help of those who really understand the subject (Mountain Bike).

A few months ago I bought an Orbea MX 50 ''29 year 2019 and after a few months of use the bike has some problems especially with rims that becomes fragile after some' mountain adventures', and I'm looking to do some upgrades from time to time on this bike to becomes stronger for my adventures.
I want to know if the kind of framework I have will support these future upgrades that I will do.

So,
One of the first things I want to change logically is the rims that are very low quality, and I was researching for rims that has a good price-quality ratio and found the DT SWISS M 1900 SPLINE 25 mm 29 ''. What do you think?

The next thing I would change is the Front derailleur/Rear derailleur/Drive chain group, etc, I was also looking at a good price-quality and found the SRAM EAGLE GX 12V. What do you think?

And last and most expensive, but not least, the shock absorber, which in this case would be the ROCKSHOX REBA RL 29 "100mm Solo Air Remote, to withstand the impact of the blows from my adventures...

Would they be good upgrades?
My riding style is more for the fast and aggressive.
Old 08-08-19, 09:07 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You are a troll.

DT Swiss 1900 are good wheels. But will they fit your bike frame dropout spacing?... unknown.
You want to replace 7 speed with 12 speed.?..rear dropout spacing unknown.
You want to put a rear shock on a hardtail. What is wrong with you?

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles...x/cat/mx-29-50

You don't have any idea what you are doing.

Buy a new bike with the stuff on it that you want.

Later Troll
Old 08-08-19, 09:15 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
You are a troll.

DT Swiss 1900 are good wheels. But will they fit your bike frame dropout spacing?... unknown.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles...x/cat/mx-29-50

Later Troll
Might be a troll but I suspect that English is not this person's first language. Also, I have heard people refer to the fork as the "shock".

But you're definitely right about putting lipstick on a pig, get the right bike first, then worry about upgrades.
Old 08-08-19, 09:21 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Hi @TemptatioN and welcome to the group
Also a fellow Orbea fan here, I have a Rallon

upgrades can get out of hand quick and you'll find yourself easily spending more than the complete bike. Being that the MX50 is spec'd as an entry level bike (most due to the components) I'd caution getting too carried away
Every upgrade you've mentioned will make the MX50 a better bike and there are compelling arguments on which to get first, if any.

A few considerations you have before deciding.
1) The MX50 is QR 100 Front and 135 Rear if you get the Reba is will like be a thru axle 15x100mm or boost 110mm
2) Do you really need SRAM eagle 50T? maybe if you go 1x, but still with 1x SRAM 11spd and 42T it may be enough and quite a bit cheaper. Also have you considered the lower NX grade?
3) have you considered new rubbers? The stock tires don't look particularly aggressive for the adventurous types

Personally, I'd get the wheels trued up first, stock wheels are notorious for poor building, not the components but the tensioning of the spokes
New tires, which you can transfer to new wheels when you get them
and then 1x11 NX or 1x11 SLX drivetrain. If you look hard enough and can true your own wheels, this will set you back less than $300. Fork about $400ish and wheels another $300ish. See we're already at $1K. even used parts will be about half and close the price of the bike.

Good luck and let us know what you decided
Old 08-08-19, 09:32 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Big J .. you are right. I was being a bit harsh.
Reba is a fork... expect it to cost more than the purchase price of the bike.
Sram Eagle GX groupset will cost more than the purchase price of the bike.

TemptatioN..... welcome to the forum.
Old 08-08-19, 09:48 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Might be a troll but I suspect that English is not this person's first language. Also, I have heard people refer to the fork as the "shock".

But you're definitely right about putting lipstick on a pig, get the right bike first, then worry about upgrades.
Can't agree with you more, though it's not uncommon to see someone spend more than their bike is worth then try to sell it a year later for what they paid in parts and get no bites.
Upgrading wheels and suspension parts are generally a terrible idea, which it why I usually suggest better tires and a cheap option to expand the gear range.
Old 08-08-19, 10:55 AM
TemptatioN

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are a troll.

Later Troll
I am definitely not a troll.
I was hoping for something more professional, with the help of those who really understand MTB just as I said at the beginning of the post because I'm new at Mountain Bike and my knowledge isn't 100%. But that's ok, apologies accepted!
- About the DT Swiss 1900, my bike frame dropout is this shorturl.at/depqM I don't know if it works with this type of wheel, but it's this model.
- I suspected you Google my bike model directly on the Orbea website (and I can't put links here yet), but the current model at their site is the 7-speed 2020 model, mine is the 8-speed 2019 model (Shimano HG200 12-32t 8-Speed), I don't know if the space with this 8 speed will allow me to put a 10-50T (the Sram Eagle GX). I've been looking for this 'conversion' and found a video on Youtube where the guy does a 3x8 or 3x9 conversion if I'm not wrong for a 1x11 or 1x12 (I can't put link here), and I'm looking for confirmation from someone who understands about it.
- I saw your recent answer, and yes the REBA is also a front suspension.

Originally Posted by qclabrat
Hi @TemptatioN and welcome to the group
Also a fellow Orbea fan here, I have a Rallon

upgrades can get out of hand quick and you'll find yourself easily spending more than the complete bike. Being that the MX50 is spec'd as an entry level bike (most due to the components) I'd caution getting too carried away
Every upgrade you've mentioned will make the MX50 a better bike and there are compelling arguments on which to get first, if any.

A few considerations you have before deciding.
1) The MX50 is QR 100 Front and 135 Rear if you get the Reba is will like be a thru axle 15x100mm or boost 110mm
2) Do you really need SRAM eagle 50T? maybe if you go 1x, but still with 1x SRAM 11spd and 42T it may be enough and quite a bit cheaper. Also have you considered the lower NX grade?
3) have you considered new rubbers? The stock tires don't look particularly aggressive for the adventurous types

Personally, I'd get the wheels trued up first, stock wheels are notorious for poor building, not the components but the tensioning of the spokes
New tires, which you can transfer to new wheels when you get them
and then 1x11 NX or 1x11 SLX drivetrain. If you look hard enough and can true your own wheels, this will set you back less than $300. Fork about $400ish and wheels another $300ish. See we're already at $1K. even used parts will be about half and close the price of the bike.

Good luck and let us know what you decided
Thanks for the answer! It's good to see someone using Orbea and recommending me improvements.
1 - Will I have a great performance with this 100mm suspension or would you recommend me one of 110? Because I will make these changes gradually, I can not buy anything very expensive because only these 3 upgrades will cost me around 1000 euros and that's too much for me.
2 - Yes I am considering the 11 speed upgrade too. The Eagle NX group also caught my attention, because it is cheaper and brings many benefits of the Eagle category with it, I will really think better about this issue, the main problem would be the space to put this giant cassette in place of my old 8 speeds, would he get in smoothly?
3 - Yes, I also consider switching to higher quality wheels in the future, but for now I will be using the same wheels, they seem to do the job for now.

Great recommendation, I really need to change the rims urgently as they are really fragile and don't last long, by the way, does these rims are good and compatible with the Eagle NX? (DT SWISS M 1900 SPLINE 25 mm 29''). Eagle NX really might be the best choice for me right now, to save money and invest in the new wheels and suspension in the future.

Big J .. you are right. I was being a bit harsh.
Reba is a fork... expect it to cost more than the purchase price of the bike.
Sram Eagle GX groupset will cost more than the purchase price of the bike.

TemptatioN..... welcome to the forum.
Yes, it's a fork, frontal suspension.
No problem!
Old 08-08-19, 06:46 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
People are trying to tell you not to invest a lot of money into an entry level frame. If you buy a nice fork (if you can find one that will fit your headtube) you will also have to replace the front wheel (hub won't work). You will not be able to fit a 12 speed in that frame and if you could you would need a new hub which will come with a through axle and that frame won't take it.
Try to find a modern, higher level frame to start with. If you want to keep flogging the one you have you could get someone (or do it yourself) to lace some decent rims to your hubs and buy some nice tires.
Old 08-09-19, 07:38 AM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Definitely look at new bikes. When you make the jump from Entry to mid or high end the differences are amazing. Don't limit yourself to only 1 manufacturer. Go out and ride as many as you can and decide what you like.
Welcome to the forum!

Bill
Old 08-15-19, 08:59 AM
HyBr1D

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I agree with what's said... even though Orbea is an awesome Spanish brand.. you would more than likely get a better bike out of the Laufey 27+ or the up-coming 29er at 1499+ or the SC Chameleon D @ 1799. Yes, it's pushing mid to high 1K but that's pretty much what you will be spending resurrecting that MX.

https://www.wrenchscience.com/mounta...H30+Bike/2019/

https://www.jensonusa.com/Santa-Cruz...D-29-Bike-2019