Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Left over parts on a new build...what are these?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-10-19, 10:37 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

These are two parts that came with my bike for a new build that I have no idea what it belongs to. Can anyone tell me what either of these two things are?

The pin has a hole through the center of it also. I am assuming this fell out of my Shimano SLX brakes or it just came with the new frame in general, but I can't think of what it is used for. My brakes came pre-bled and ready to go and I am not sure if they fell out of the box on arrival with that as spare for something, or something else entirely different. It was one of those I looked down on the floor and saw it there and no idea where it came from.

Thanks
Old 08-10-19, 10:42 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
The part on the far left appears to be a unit of currency, equivalent to 1/4 of an American Dollar.

(sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll show myself out. )
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 08-10-19, 10:57 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Reminds me of the movie "Doc Hollywood".
Old 08-10-19, 10:58 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Brass part looks to be part of a hydo brake olive. The other looks to be a pin that holds the brakes pads in place.
Old 08-10-19, 11:39 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Brass part looks to be part of a hydo brake olive. The other looks to be a pin that holds the brakes pads in place.
Close. I was thinking compression coupling. But, searching for "Brake Olive", and this pops up.

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-SM-BH...dp/B07R4GPRTH/

So, I think the brass part is the compression coupling, and goes on the outside of the tube.

The hollow screw thingy would go on the inside of the tube, also part of the compression joint. It appears to have hose barbs as part of it.

It could be that Shimano sent you extra parts, in case you would need to cut a hose shorter, you have all the parts to cut and reattach. Or, if a hose gets damaged.
Old 08-10-19, 12:53 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I've only heard the term "olive" from biker people. Plumbers just ask for a brass compression ring.
Old 08-10-19, 01:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The are an "Olive and Connector Insert" for the end of a hydraulic brake hose.

The olive slips over the brake hose and the insert is pushed into the end of the brake hose. The olive, hose and insert are compressed when the fitting is tightened, preventing hydraulic fluid from leaking past the end of the hose.

See item number 2 at https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-BR-RS805-3852C.pdf. Be aware that there are different part numbers for different brake and hose models but the one in the PDF is similar to what is pictured and function is the same.

The insert shown above is a little chewed up from me trying to remove it with pliers. The barbs dig into the inside of the hose and they don't come out.

I'm going to question @Bike Jedi as to why the part is left over. If you built the bike yourself and didn't install it then you need to take it apart and do so. If the LBS didn't install it then shame on them. Either way, you will know pretty quickly why they are needed when you try to stop, the brakes don't work and fluid leaks everywhere. Give the levers a hard squeeze before you ride.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-10-19, 01:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Brakes came fully assembled, but the parts bag will have the fittings required for installation anyway. So you didn't leave anything out.
Old 08-10-19, 01:28 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Pre-bled brakes generally need to have the hose shortened to fit whatever frame you put them on. Shimano includes an extra hose barb and compression ring, so you can cut the hose to the proper length. If they happened to be the right length, just keep the parts in case you need them later.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 08-10-19, 02:15 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
...just keep the parts in case you need them later.
Yeah, I have about 50 pounds of that stuff!
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-10-19, 03:51 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Yeah, I have about 50 pounds of that stuff!
I know, right? Lately, I've been keeping an eye out at the thrift stores for an ideal plastic container (Rubbermaid, Tupperware, something like that), to consolidate at least some of the smaller spare parts. I've got them scattered around in old bike stem boxes, shoe boxes, a junk drawer, a shelf on my bike rack, the garage work area, etc.
Old 08-10-19, 09:19 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
The part on the far left appears to be a unit of currency, equivalent to 1/4 of an American Dollar.

(sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll show myself out. )
Thank you. That's what I was after. I was using the other parts as reference for that thing. Hopefully nobody comes in and derails the thread trying to label the parts when I was after what that shiny thing on the left is. Thanks for clearing it up!
Old 08-10-19, 09:22 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Reminds me of the movie "Doc Hollywood".
I sincerely doubt I get the smart cutie in the end. But then again, I did love that movie as a kid.

Perhaps subconsciously, I am always hoping to be Doc Hollywood. I know that I am always looking for that perfect little town. Doesn't seem to be real at all though. Life is quite the disappointment. Maybe a bike trip around the world will cheer me up.
Old 08-10-19, 10:38 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The are an "Olive and Connector Insert" for the end of a hydraulic brake hose.
I have done a hydro brake before and kind of figure it was that, but was clueless why it came with a frameset, which is were I "thought" the bag fell out of, but it could have been the SLX brakes when they arrived also. There is a lot of little bags, parts, etc... when you do a full build. It's quite fun! I almost want to finish this build, see if I can flip it quickly, get a few extra bucks out of it, and build another one again. I really enjoy having the skill set to do such a thing and want to keep doing it now. Wheels too. I really do like doing this stuff a lot! Too much!

I'm going to question @Bike Jedi as to why the part is left over. If you built the bike yourself and didn't install it then you need to take it apart and do so.
I just thought it fell out of the frameset box and was confused as to why Surly included something like this in a "frameset" box. I was wondering if I was maybe missing something and it was used for some weird spacer or something with the frame some how. It makes sense that it's an extra now and fell out of the SLX package when it arrived and I just didn't notice it. It was all wrapped up in bubble wrap and easy to over see.

I did build literally everything "but" the brakes. They came cocked and loaded from the bike shop. Had a tough time not having experience with the front adapter and the weird mounting, but a week later and two different mounts, the front brakes were mounted successfully yesterday. I thought that was probably what that ring was for, and it might just be an extra. I sincerely doubt the shop forgot to put that into the build. It was in a package with 2 bolts that looked like they go to a brake adapter, so it makes sense. I don't have a wheel set to throw up on the bike yet so I don't want to test them without rotors in there. I feel pretty confident the shop did them correctly, but nothing surprises me today.

OK...so that's what they are. It has to be extra's. That's pretty cool the LBS included them as extra's in shipping. They really went the extra mile! I bought XLS brakes, with the intent to change the cotter pin in the caliber to the screw in the XT, and you have the same exact caliber and brakes as the XT, minus an adjustment screw up by the lever. I stuck with U.S. supplier who wasn't the cheapest dealer on Ebay because I wanted faster shipping and it paid off. The folks at the bike shop actually changed the cotter pin and pre-installed them without advertising they were doing that. Those screws are like $12 bucks extra and I thought it was really cool that they installed them for you and don't even tell you. If folks don't know that trick, they are actually upgrading them for them to the XT caliber and not even advertising this fact. That makes a very cool bike shop!

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-12-19 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-10-19, 10:45 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Pre-bled brakes generally need to have the hose shortened to fit whatever frame you put them on. Shimano includes an extra hose barb and compression ring, so you can cut the hose to the proper length. If they happened to be the right length, just keep the parts in case you need them later.
OK...that makes sense then. That's the correct answer. I just didn't see them fall out of the package from the LBS because they didn't come in original wrapping, and they did an insane job bubble wrapping it. So I probably didn't see it fall out, and then when I put all the parts together in a pile, I had no idea where it fell out from.

Thanks for enlightening me on the matter. Have a great night!
Old 08-11-19, 01:57 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
I know, right? Lately, I've been keeping an eye out at the thrift stores for an ideal plastic container (Rubbermaid, Tupperware, something like that), to consolidate at least some of the smaller spare parts. I've got them scattered around in old bike stem boxes, shoe boxes, a junk drawer, a shelf on my bike rack, the garage work area, etc.

I just picked one up from Harbor Freight for the really small stuff. 24 small clear boxes with snap lids that store into a larger box.

I was going to post a link to it but their web site appears to be down right now.

I believe it was $4.99

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 08-11-19, 03:35 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
OK, they are back up, here it is

https://www.harborfreight.com/24-con...sugg_q=storage

and the price is $4.49, large box is 9 x 6-1/8, small boxes about 2 x 1-1/2 x 1

Last edited by JoeTBM; 08-11-19 at 03:46 AM.
Likes For JoeTBM: