Go Back  Bike Forums > The Market Place > For Sale
Reload this Page >

Four Carbon Frames. What are they worth?

Notices
For Sale Items for sale, bicycle and cycling related items only, please! Requires upgraded Membership to post new threads. This forum is intended for individual members to sell their bikes and bike related gear, and not for commercial ventures or company sales. Prices must be quoted up front, we are not an auction site, and do not link to your ebay auctions.

Old 05-02-19, 05:56 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts

I have four carbon frames and forks that I intend to sell, but first I need to know what they are worth. These were given to our local co-op, which will get the benefit of the sale.

First up is a Specialized Tarmac Comp.

Next is a Ridley Damocles.

Third is an Orbea time trial bike, name unknown to me.

Finally is a Felt B16.

Any help you can give me as to models, years, etc also will be appreciated. We deal with old steel and alu bikes, so I am not at all familiar with these frames.
Old 05-02-19, 10:13 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
sizes?
Old 05-03-19, 03:52 PM
alpine 318is

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd give you $100 for the tarmac frame. Local in Seattle
Old 05-03-19, 05:45 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Originally Posted by superdex
sizes?
Pardon for the delay. The Specialized is a 61 according to the label. I did not see a size marked on the Ridley, but I measured the seat post as 23” from the center of the bb to the top of the post. The Orbea has a sticker that says T 57, which I suspect is the frame height. And the Felt is a 52.
Old 05-04-19, 03:51 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bump. No one has an opinion??
Old 05-04-19, 05:56 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,891 Times in 1,647 Posts
You can do eBay searches using the brand and model---choose "Completed Listings" or "Sold" in the left column to get an idea of price ranges. (For example, a similar Specialized Tarmac Comp frameset was listed for $396 and sold for an undisclosed "best offer.") Those frames all look as though they're less than 6 years old or thereabouts.
Old 05-06-19, 05:46 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
You can do eBay searches using the brand and model---choose "Completed Listings" or "Sold" in the left column to get an idea of price ranges.
Alternatively, if you're in an area populated enough to support a co-op, it's bound to have a dealer for each of these brands. I'd visit each dealer with each frame and ask there, after making it obvious I was buying a new pair of gloves or water bottle cage from them! Keep in mind, any scratch or scar that might indicate a crash cuts a carbon frame's value down to next to nothing.

Hope that helps.
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 05-06-19, 10:31 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

I appreciate the comments. I fortunately have a friend who is an expert at reselling things, so I may simply rely on her to try to figure out a decent price. And you are right, there are quite a few shops in Seattle, with whom I am on good terms (see my sig below. ;-) ) A couple of the frames have a chip or two in the paint but seem pretty sound otherwise.
Old 05-06-19, 10:52 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
I appreciate the comments. I fortunately have a friend who is an expert at reselling things, so I may simply rely on her to try to figure out a decent price. And you are right, there are quite a few shops in Seattle, with whom I am on good terms (see my sig below. ;-) ) A couple of the frames have a chip or two in the paint but seem pretty sound otherwise.
Well, that's the problem with carbon fiber. A chip on the outside could be indicative of a serious fault on the inside. If you're not the original owner, or someone who can explain how the chips occurred, or, you don't want to pay to get them professionally inspected and certified, I personally wouldn't pay very much for them at all unless I wanted a bike to keep on the trainer. Carbon is very moldable, very light and very strong, but it is also very brittle. Not trying to knock the frames, just sayin' .... Hell, if I was anywhere near Seattle, I'd be tempted to come look them over to pick one up myself. But asking for even a ballpark price on a carbon frame over the internet is almost impossible.
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 05-23-19, 02:04 AM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
Bump. No one has an opinion??

Any update on these?
I am local (Kent) what is the co-op there? I have many small things i might want to donate
Old 05-23-19, 10:08 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Originally Posted by mattleegee
Any update on these?
I am local (Kent) what is the co-op there? I have many small things i might want to donate
The Orbea has been sold. The other three frames are on the Seattle Craigslist under the Bikes section. I am not the seller at this point.

If you want to donate parts, I believe there is a co-op in Kent. Otherwise, the best place would be Bike Works, the main co-op in Seattle. It is in the Columbia City area.