Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to work around stripped crank extractor threads?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-04, 10:26 AM
geoduck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In my ongoing quest to build my ultra-cheap ss mountain bike, I went to remove the crank (square taper) in order to service or swap the crusty bottom bracket.

I had a hell of a time getting the drive-side crank arm to budge using the Park extractor tool, and by the time I was finished, the extractor threads on the crank arm were stripped (*hangs head in shame*). This thing is on TIGHT.

So what to do to get this crank arm off? I'm not even sure if I want to use it again, because it is a cheapo with non-removable chain rings. I don't really want to build up a single speed with a triple on the front .

The options I've heard so far at two shops:

- re-tap the threads to a slightly larger size, and remove the arm using a special Park tool (larger-size extractor?). Crank arm may be reusable, but probably not easy to get off next time.

- use a propane torch to heat the extractor arm at the spindle interface, wait for metal to expand, and try to knock or pry it off.

- use a Dremel-type tool to cut through the crank arm in two places near the spindle (downright barbaric, IMO).

- try to muscle it off with a mallet, pry bar, etc. This sounds like the least-favorable method, as it could damage the bb or the shell.

Does anybody have experience with any of these methods, or any other ideas?

TIA

_'duck
Old 09-15-04, 10:35 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Try riding your bike without the crank bolt. Hopefully the crank will loosen on its own after a few miles.
Your other option is to use an automotive gear puller to pull your crank off.
Old 09-15-04, 08:45 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by The Fixer
Try riding your bike without the crank bolt. Hopefully the crank will loosen on its own after a few miles.
Instead of taking the crank bolt completely off, loosen it and ride the bike around. When the crank arm works itself loose, it won't completely fall off the bottom bracket spindle.

Also, when removing the crank arm, make sure the crank bolt washer (if any) is removed.
Old 09-15-04, 09:04 PM
cballay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to be really barbaric, cut the BB spindle with a saws-all, since your going to scrap the BB. Then you can put the crank arm in a vice and punch the spindle piece out with a hammer and a large hole-punch (if you really want to keep the cranks). These are 3 tools that are not made by Park.
Old 09-15-04, 10:00 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Gah. There are tools made for this kind of operation; they're very similar to a pry bar. You place them in between the BB and the crank arm and simply pry the crank arm off... I see no reason why your basic crowbar would not perform the same service. I'd loosen and ride about first, though. Sounds like less of a hassle.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 09-15-04, 10:23 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by cballay
If you want to be really barbaric, cut the BB spindle with a saws-all, since your going to scrap the BB. Then you can put the crank arm in a vice and punch the spindle piece out with a hammer and a large hole-punch (if you really want to keep the cranks). These are 3 tools that are not made by Park.
You Animal!
Old 09-16-04, 07:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to me the automotive type gear puller might be the best idea.
Old 09-16-04, 08:06 AM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The gear puller is a good idea if you can get one to fit.

Here's an elegant solution:

https://www.bicycletoolsetc.com/index...&item_id=CV-22

That website also has gear puller-type tools, though they are pricey. They used to sell a bargain basement pry bar for $7.50, but it is no longer available. I wish I'd bought one!

Finally, the barbaric way is effective. You can also do the cutting with a hacksaw. If you aren't planning to use the crank again (and I wouldn't use a stripped and re-threaded crank, but that's just me) it is effective. Go ahead and embrace your inner barbarian.
Old 09-16-04, 08:23 AM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by RegularGuy

This tool looks just like an automotive ball joint separator. It's more a wedging action that'll separate the crank from bottom bracket. Instead of buying one, borrow one from your friends that do automotive work, or visit a local auto garage and see if they can use one, or you might be able to get a free loaner from a local auto store. It'll probaly take one or two whacks with a hammer to separate. Or you could buy a cheap-o quality one for under $10.

BTW - cutting the bottom bracket spindle may be difficult. Those spindles seem to be made of a hardened steel.
Old 09-16-04, 10:53 AM
geoduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies!

I think I'll raid my father-in-law's shop this weekend. He's a former ironworker who has all sorts of pry bars and such.

Yes, I'll probably ride the bike a bit first to loosen that bad boy up. I'll try and post back here next week with the chosen solution and what the outcome is.

_'duck
Old 11-20-05, 10:43 PM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by geoduck
Thanks for all the great replies!

I think I'll raid my father-in-law's shop this weekend. He's a former ironworker who has all sorts of pry bars and such.

Yes, I'll probably ride the bike a bit first to loosen that bad boy up. I'll try and post back here next week with the chosen solution and what the outcome is.

_'duck
Just curious to know if you got that crank off, and what method youu used. I've got the same problem....doh
Old 11-20-05, 11:42 PM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I've used a crowbar stuck in between the cup and crankarm to pry it off before. Have also used motorcycle tyre-irons. Used the automotive gear-puller a couple times. One time I took the entire assembly off by unscrewing the fixed up. Laid it over the jaws of a vice so that the spindle slides through easily, but the cup rests on top. Loosen the bolt about 1/2 way, set a 6" socket extension on it, and smacked with a 10lb mallet.
Old 11-21-05, 12:03 AM
askrom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a recent occasion where I had the same problem, I tried everything described above except the re-tapping and none of them worked.
Old 11-21-05, 02:46 AM
dmarcoul
midnight biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im going to try the blow torch method tomorrow and will let y'all know how it works.
Old 11-21-05, 06:13 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I once tried a gear puller. I just bent its bolts. Went to LBS and bought a proper crank puller. It was easy once I got the right tool. The gear puller I used was a lot less effective, perhaps the size was not right for the job.
Old 11-21-05, 09:38 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 281 Posts
Before I broke down and bought a crank puller I used the 'ride it 'til it loosens up' method. Never took more than a 1/4 mile.
Old 11-21-05, 10:08 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure it would work here, but I used to remove dirt bike flywheels (tapered fit) with the following method:

1. Have an accomplice pry on the part to be removed (crank arm in this case).

2. Use a hammer and a punch to tap on the spindle.

Keep tapping and eventually the part comes off.
Old 11-21-05, 07:25 PM
Coda1

Bikes: Cannondale M2000 and Trek 970

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stripped the threads out of a set of cranks a few years ago and got one side off by riding it with the bolt loose but the other side wouldn't come off that way. I used a sawzall to cut a slot in the crank almost to the spindle and it popped right off.