Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-13, 01:58 PM
Foxxy4Life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my rig. This is when we were loading up for a picnic; she's way overdue for some touring lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20130609_181556.jpg (96.8 KB, 279 views)
Old 07-13-13, 06:56 AM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On the Surly Ogre the fenders look too close to the wheels if it will encounter mud.
Old 07-13-13, 07:11 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonnythecanuck
A recent trip with a furry friend through PEI, Canada.

IMG_3529 by jonathanreid85, on Flickr

Sweet!

My dog likes to ride on anything that moves, need to get him a trailer soon.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-14-13, 11:03 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
On the Surly Ogre the fenders look too close to the wheels if it will encounter mud.
Actually it is not much of a problem here. Most of our "mud" is actually glacial silt. Goopy and slick as snot, but it does not clump up like clay-based mud from the lower 48. I have run fenders off road for years and can only remember an issue once or twice, usually because the fender was damaged.
Old 07-15-13, 01:55 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by balindamood
Snap shots from the shake-down ride. I picked up a Surly Ogre with the intention of doing some single-track oriented touring (lots of options for that around here). The problem that presented itself was the cable routing for the front derailleur interfered with the fenders. I chose to solve this with a Rohloff hub (wouldn't you?). The front hub is an SP PL-8 SON look-alike. The rims are bomb-proof Kris Holm XC Unicycle rims (37mm wide). The bars are Jones H. The lights are the new Bosch & Mueller Luxos U. I don't need it much in the summer other than for carging USB devices, but I am really looking forward to running the Rohloff through the winter to see how it does. Lights will be required then.

Second Cycles introduced last year their series of re-branded, recycled/re-manufactured frames, the "Bicycle." They have been selling well. I do not care for Surly graphics, so I replaced them with a decal set from them. Love the way it rides around town, hope to get it out in the back country in the next month.

Very nice! Is that the large Zimbale bag I spy there? Good choice! I love mine. Great looking set up. How do you like the Jones bars? Thanks for the nice cockpit shot, it is always good to see how folks have set theirs up.
Old 07-15-13, 01:58 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BohicaX
Hi MZ no problems on free hub failures but like anything I guess they have there limits and without a doubt your warranty is out the window with this set-up. All manufactures have there specs for safe work loads or torque and the numbers they give are to ensure that there not getting recalls from failures. Most safe work load numbers are well under spec and in most cases I bet you could double or triple that number before failure happens there just covering there butts.

Having said that I take responsibility for my own actions and if things fail so be it just suck it up and purchase again learning from your mistakes rather than become a whining customer. Again I can only make comment on two brands of hubs that this 41T has been on and that is "Industry Nine" hubs and "Hope Technology" hubs. (links below)

https://www.industrynine.net/

https://www.hopetech.com/

Added to that I run a 20T granny so hauling that rig up mountains without hub or free hub failure stretching the safe work load and torque well beyond manufacture specs I'm happy to make mention of those companies because in my eyes they have passed the test. I'm currently running Industry Nine hubs and spoke system as they have done the bulk of my long distance loaded touring.

Ok gotcha on the lingo I just noticed I made a typo hence why I thought you winked at my silly mistake. As your well aware we live upside down here and that might explain our English being a mystery to you Yanks. Understand though you northerners take a dump and it flows down hill and guess where we are situated geographically on that flow chart.......It's no excuse but it might help explain our English.

Hope that helps further answer some of your questions.

Cheers Mate
Thanks!

Happy trails!
Old 07-15-13, 09:20 AM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Is that the large Zimbale bag I spy there? Good choice! I love mine. Great looking set up. How do you like the Jones bars?
It is a Zimbale. I like the bag. I had hoped on running a handlebar bag, but the bike handles horribly with them. I love the Jones bars.
Old 07-15-13, 02:37 PM
Jim Bangs

Bikes: Surly Ogre,Surly Long Haul Trucker, Schwinn Le Tour Elite

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is a great pic with your dog and bike! I really like the red bar tape to match up with your bags. Happy Riding!!
Originally Posted by Jonnythecanuck
A recent trip with a furry friend through PEI, Canada.

IMG_3529 by jonathanreid85, on Flickr
Old 07-15-13, 02:50 PM
Jim Bangs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a nice set-up you have. I just got myself an Ogre for future off road touring that I want to do. A couple of questions: What is your front rack set up there? Also I got the ergon grips like you have, what is the bar end mirror that you have? I have not decided on fenders or not with mine. Been reading the problems and solutions for fenders with Ogre on forums. Your solution of Roloff is exquisite!!
Originally Posted by balindamood
It is a Zimbale. I like the bag. I had hoped on running a handlebar bag, but the bike handles horribly with them. I love the Jones bars.
Old 07-15-13, 07:48 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

The front rack(s) are a cheap bag support of Ebay (Abaxo, I think) and a Jandd low-rider rack. I had nothing to match the rear rack, so I did not try to go buy something fancy (Surly or Jandd Expedition). The mirror is a simple bar-end plug mirror I got at REI a long time ago. I assume they are still available. Ergon grips with A Rohloff is expensive because you cannot buy a set of Ergon's for only one grip shifter. You can by one for two grip shifters, and one for none; then only use half of each package. You would think they would come out with a special "Rohloff Edition". Even at a 50% premium, it would be cheaper than buying to sets.

Fenders on an Ogre require some dedication. I am running Planet Bike's because they are about the only ones made for 29'ers. There are several problems. First, you have to run at least one set of Surly Monkey Nuts for the rear fender to work at all. Even with one set installed, the front derailleur cable will likely rub on the fender. Metal cable; plastic fender, we all know how this will end. You can run a second set of Monkey Nuts (for another $25) and push the rear axle all they way to the end of the dropouts, or you can dump the front derailleur and run a 1x?? setup. Even if you solve that problem (as I did), the fenders, with really long stays, are too flexible and rub on the tires when you hit bumps. I fixed this by attaching zip ties between the fender stays and the racks 1/4 to 1/2 way along the stays to stabilize the system. You probably cannot see it in the pictures. I still get some rubbing when the going get insanely rough, but it does help a lot, and I am not sure how much better you could make without some sort of steel fenders which do not exist.
Old 07-20-13, 07:11 PM
treal512

Bikes: '89 Miele Azsora, '09 Motobecane 700HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My bike ready for my first mini-tour.

A group of us are leaving from San Marcos, TX to Wimberley, TX (20 mi) where we'll visit Jacob's Well and the local pubs. After camping the night there, we're headed for Bastrop, TX (70 mi) and the following day we're biking back to San Marcos (50 mi). A few people are starting their trip from San Antonio, TX and will be meeting us at Purgatory Creek in San Marcos (50 mi). My overall trip will be 150 mi +/- and their trip will be 250 mi +/i. I'm really looking forward to it! Gear in store for me after this trip will likely be clipless pedals/shoes and front panniers/racks.

Last edited by treal512; 07-20-13 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-20-13, 08:00 PM
rboed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Somehow with this set up I was able to do a 500 mile tour from San Fran to LA in about 6 days. I was able to rig a 10W solar panel on the handle bars for smart phone charging as well
Attached Images

Last edited by rboed; 07-20-13 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Forgot info.
Old 07-25-13, 09:11 PM
JWHenry
Flatted

Bikes: 2011 Dawes Deadeye(mod) 2011 Specialized Comp Compact M2 Apex, 2017 Kona Sutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been watching this thread for sometime now and I have got my bike finally built up. Its a 80's Lugged steel frame Soma Cosmopolitan converted to 700C with Panaracer RiBMo 700x32c, new fork and longer reach calipers. It has a blackburn front low rider rack and a bell rack out back for the Nashbar waterproof panniers. I replaced the stem with an adjustable one and new handlebars and brake levers. Drivetrain consists of a Shimano Alivio rear derailleur, Sora front triple a Sugino Triple crank and Shimano Ultegra 8 speed bar end shifters. I carry an On Guard D lock a small tool kit with spare tire and CO2 inflator plus a Topeak Turbo Morph G frame pump as a back up. Right now I use it for commuting back and forth to work, I have a Magicshine 900 lumen headlight with a Planet Bike Superflash for the rear, Planet Bike Hardcore fenders with Cascadia mud guards and a ESGE double kickstand. I like this set up and hope to do a few tours on it.

Attached Images
photo 1 (2).jpg (97.1 KB, 537 views)
Old 07-30-13, 03:19 PM
Jim Bangs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful set-up and re-purpose of some 80's Steel! I like it JW!
Originally Posted by JWHenry
I have been watching this thread for sometime now and I have got my bike finally built up. Its a 80's Lugged steel frame Soma Cosmopolitan converted to 700C with Panaracer RiBMo 700x32c, new fork and longer reach calipers. It has a blackburn front low rider rack and a bell rack out back for the Nashbar waterproof panniers. I replaced the stem with an adjustable one and new handlebars and brake levers. Drivetrain consists of a Shimano Alivio rear derailleur, Sora front triple a Sugino Triple crank and Shimano Ultegra 8 speed bar end shifters. I carry an On Guard D lock a small tool kit with spare tire and CO2 inflator plus a Topeak Turbo Morph G frame pump as a back up. Right now I use it for commuting back and forth to work, I have a Magicshine 900 lumen headlight with a Planet Bike Superflash for the rear, Planet Bike Hardcore fenders with Cascadia mud guards and a ESGE double kickstand. I like this set up and hope to do a few tours on it.

Old 07-30-13, 04:20 PM
JWHenry
Flatted

Bikes: 2011 Dawes Deadeye(mod) 2011 Specialized Comp Compact M2 Apex, 2017 Kona Sutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Thank you, it was a lot of trial and error with this bike but it has been a fun journey finding and building this bike. I forgot to mention the wheels, they are Vuelta Corsa HDs nice strong wheels IMO.
Old 07-31-13, 02:06 PM
Bicycle365

Bikes: Surly LHT Custom Build

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Surly LHT Entered into service May 2012

Here is my build from winter 2011-2012 , Maiden tour was :
Anacortes WA to Norfolk Va to Key West.

Attached Images
Surly Loaded.jpg (91.5 KB, 421 views)
Surly Loaded2.jpg (97.2 KB, 464 views)
Old 07-31-13, 03:33 PM
BohicaX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicycle365
Here is my build from winter 2011-2012 , Maiden tour was :
Anacortes WA to Norfolk Va to Key West.

Nice bike and set-up I had to laugh I use crocs as well for around camp or just want to take a break and get out of my riding shoes good to see someone else who uses them.
Old 07-31-13, 09:50 PM
dropbarcycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ncbiker
yep, a hole through the stem does the trick:
genius!!!
Old 07-31-13, 09:51 PM
dropbarcycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Sweet!

My dog likes to ride on anything that moves, need to get him a trailer soon.

Aaron
I would love to go on a tour with my dog
Old 08-01-13, 02:08 AM
Grumpytroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=RickD;14837822]My loaded disk trucker, from last weeks trip from Key largo to Key West and back[/QUOTE
I know this question is a little late but did you travel US 1 your whole trip, if so how was it, I would like to do this trip starting from where I live in Inverness Fl.
Old 08-01-13, 07:33 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

JC it must be nice travelling with your pet I'm a loner myself and have often though about a dog while riding as company. What sort of food do you lug around for him/her or is your location easy to purchase on a daily bases? Do you purchase food or use bush tucker to keep him/her fed?

Cheers
My dog eats a blend of dry foods that I put hot water over prior to serving. When he travels in the car with me I portion his food into sandwich sized baggies, one for each meal, ahead of time. My pup is about 45# a 5# bag of his food lasts about 10 days on average. He also has treats, but they don't take up much room. His food is available from a couple of places and could always be ordered in if necessary. One of my dog's favorite treats is fresh vegetable slices, cucumbers, squash, carrots, etc. Those come from dinner staples and are picked up along the way at farmer's markets.

Everybody's dog is going to be a bit different, you would have to figure out what works best for you.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 08-03-13, 03:15 AM
BohicaX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
My dog eats a blend of dry foods that I put hot water over prior to serving. When he travels in the car with me I portion his food into sandwich sized baggies, one for each meal, ahead of time. My pup is about 45# a 5# bag of his food lasts about 10 days on average. He also has treats, but they don't take up much room. His food is available from a couple of places and could always be ordered in if necessary. One of my dog's favorite treats is fresh vegetable slices, cucumbers, squash, carrots, etc. Those come from dinner staples and are picked up along the way at farmer's markets.

Everybody's dog is going to be a bit different, you would have to figure out what works best for you.

Aaron
Thanks for the feed back and method you use with travelling with pets. I live in a dry country so water for me is carrying 20 litres when I know that supplies will be a long stretch so water for a pet would be a bulky item as well. If I'm using 20 litres will that mean a dog would require the same? Carrying 40 litres of water is huge and while it's not a issue to carry for me it's all added weight plus the dogs weight as well along with food starts to add up. The more I look into this maybe a pet isn't such a good idea because of such remote locations I travel.
Old 08-03-13, 05:22 AM
Eser Sevinc

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my touring bicycle trek fx 2009
rear pannier handmade

Old 08-03-13, 05:43 AM
BohicaX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike and touring rig ES care to share what you used to make your own rear panniers and any images of method you used to attach them?
Old 08-03-13, 02:16 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Thanks for the feed back and method you use with travelling with pets. I live in a dry country so water for me is carrying 20 litres when I know that supplies will be a long stretch so water for a pet would be a bulky item as well. If I'm using 20 litres will that mean a dog would require the same? Carrying 40 litres of water is huge and while it's not a issue to carry for me it's all added weight plus the dogs weight as well along with food starts to add up. The more I look into this maybe a pet isn't such a good idea because of such remote locations I travel.
It will depend on the dog.

I have no clue how much water my dog consumes on a daily basis. We live on the East Coast USA and right now we have more than enough water. FWIW I have seen people touring with a wide range of animals; cats, dogs, ferrets, birds and one guy was apparently relocating via bicycle and had an 8' boa constrictor.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.