Search
Notices
Southern California Regional Rides and Events Southern California

Los Angeles Ciclavia 2023

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-23, 06:35 PM
Allegro Doug

Bikes: early 60's Allegro is my main ride, also own a Trek for off-road, and adopted a friends nice 80's era Bottechia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Los Angeles Ciclavia 2023

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, so I thought I'd post about it. They're fun days where bikes and pedestrians take the road from the cars (mostly). A variety of locales all across the southland, and a good way to be part of your community.

I'm not allowed to post a URL yet, but look for ciclavia dot org and find a date and place that suits you.
Old 02-20-23, 05:36 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,691 Posts
https://www.ciclavia.org
Old 02-21-23, 12:35 PM
Allegro Doug

Bikes: early 60's Allegro is my main ride, also own a Trek for off-road, and adopted a friends nice 80's era Bottechia

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, that's easier!

Hope the weather allows this Sunday, but attendance may be suppressed even if it clears. But, one of the other days and locations will surely be worth the ride.
Old 02-21-23, 03:16 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 92 Posts
Welcome Allegro Doug!

Ive participated in a few CicLAvia events in the past few years and discovered many new places to eat! It’s exciting to see so many people on bikes, scooters, skates, skateboards, e-bikes, or walking throughout the course! I usually ride one of my shiny vintage steel bikes and get a lot of compliments.

For those in the SoCal area, keep your eyes and ears open for the Arroyofest 2023 in October this year. They will close part of the Pasadena Fwy like they did 20 years ago and only allow bicyclists and pedestrians on it in the morning. I’m hoping it happens!

Arroyofest 2023
Old 02-21-23, 06:24 PM
Allegro Doug

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sons of Fred Eaton! That looks amazing, I hope they can make Arroyofest happen, please keep us informed-it looks like a great event.

Thanks for the hearty welcome
Old 02-25-23, 04:49 PM
Caseydc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
👍🙋‍♂️
Old 02-27-23, 12:38 PM
Allegro Doug

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Though a cold and cloudy day, this event was well-attended. Riders and pedestrians were rewarded with great views of the snow-capped San Gabriel and Santa Susana Mountains. Lots of photo ops along the way. The vibe was happy and positive, with little kids riding alongside grizzled veterans, longboard skateboard gondoliers pole-pushing past trailer-pulling mountain bikes, and folks and their dogs just out for a nice walk. A live band anchored one end of the event, and there were community oriented booths set up along the way. Periodic "dismount required" zones helped focus attention on display tables and food trucks. Intersections that still had competing car traffic crossing the route were very well manned with volunteers to ensure no one was in harms way. There are many more coming up this year, highly recommended:
  • April 16: CicLAvia--Mid City meets Pico Unioin
  • May 21: CicLAmini--Wats (shorter route, more pedestrian-oriented)
  • June 18: CicLAvia--South LA (Vermont Ave)
  • August 20: CicLAvia--Koreatown meets Hollywood
  • September 17: CicLAmini--North Hollywood
  • October 15: CicLAvia--Heart of LA
  • December 3: CicLAvia--South LA (*Leimert Park meets Historic South Central)
Come out and enjoy these communities!
Likes For Allegro Doug:
Old 06-27-23, 11:44 AM
Allegro Doug

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Arroyofest 2023 is on!

Hey momoman-it's on! I'll start a new thread (and up my post count).
Old 08-03-23, 08:20 PM
Yune_Garage 

Bikes: Lugged Steel Single Speed Beater

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 86 Posts
Koreatown in August sounds doable!
Old 10-24-23, 02:07 PM
facewizard

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 2012 Trek Earl

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Very excited for Arroyofest coming up in only a few days!

I'm taking a group of folks there, including some folks who are weaker cyclists, and have asked them to meet up with me in South Pasadena by the rail station because I seem to recall that there's a lot of southbound downhill along this route. (I commute by bike and haven't driven on this section of road very much in the last ten years). Is my memory foggy? Would love to start them off with an easier part of the trip so they can enjoy the route and then challenge them to come back the other way with me, haha.
Old 10-24-23, 05:50 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 846 Posts
When I was visiting Bike Oven in August, a local person came by to drop off a poster for the Arroyo event and 110 closure coming up on Saturday. It sounds like fun, but I don't think I can quite swing the travel as I'll be busy most of the day Saturday here (nearly 400 miles away).
Old 10-28-23, 07:53 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by facewizard
Very excited for Arroyofest coming up in only a few days!

I'm taking a group of folks there, including some folks who are weaker cyclists, and have asked them to meet up with me in South Pasadena by the rail station because I seem to recall that there's a lot of southbound downhill along this route. (I commute by bike and haven't driven on this section of road very much in the last ten years). Is my memory foggy? Would love to start them off with an easier part of the trip so they can enjoy the route and then challenge them to come back the other way with me, haha.
Arroyo Fest 2023 on Sunday Oct 29

It’s gonna be insanely crowded! My advice is to stay together but meet up at the hubs if you get separated.

Whatever comes out of these gates, we've got a better chance of survival if we work together. Do you understand? If we stay together we survive.
~ Maximus, Gladiator (2000).”

These were walkers from the 2003 event. I’m assuming this was mid morning so get there very early to find parking and get your bike near the front of the freeway ramp.

It was only one direction in 2003 per freeway direction but will be bidirectional this year. Runners and walkers will be in the other lane.

Last edited by momoman; 10-28-23 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For momoman: