Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kask Mojito and Protone helmets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 08:35 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Anyone here used both these helmets? I've narrowed it down to these two and looking for some comparison feedback.

Last edited by vinuneuro; 03-15-16 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-15-16, 10:21 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
What are you trying to do? How tall are you? How fast do you think you will go?
Old 03-16-16, 06:19 AM
HOWSER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can speak for the Vertigo and feel it's likely the best fitting helmet I've ever had.
Old 03-16-16, 11:45 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Anyone here used both these helmets? I've narrowed it down to these two and looking for some comparison feedback.
Good timing! I just tried on about 12 helmets last week and decided on the Protone. The Mojito is nice but the back of the helmet came down too low and interfered with my sunglasses. Plus, it still sits up high on your head like pretty much every other helmet. The Protone was the last helmet I tried on and the fit is amazing. It sits low, adjusts very well and looks great IMO. It doesn't give you the mushroom head. Of course, it's the most expensive one, but I thought it was worth it.
Old 03-16-16, 11:46 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 303 Posts
Oh, just FYI, the Mojito is kind of their "summer helmet" with lots of vents. The Protone is their half aero/half regular helmet, but I've had no heat issues yet in 80 degree So Cal weather.
Old 03-16-16, 11:50 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kask has the best retention system of any helmet I've ever found, even the more "entry level" models, like the 50NTA. They are really comfortable, and the Kask I had did its job when called upon, I guess.

You do pay a little bit of a premium, but they do pretty much disappear on your head. No crash replacement program, which is kind of a bummer if you need it for its intended purpose too soon after buying one. 10% off for the first year after purchase would soften the blow a little.
Old 03-16-16, 12:29 PM
e30jean

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
Kask has the best retention system of any helmet I've ever found, even the more "entry level" models, like the 50NTA. They are really comfortable, and the Kask I had did its job when called upon, I guess.

You do pay a little bit of a premium, but they do pretty much disappear on your head. No crash replacement program, which is kind of a bummer if you need it for its intended purpose too soon after buying one. 10% off for the first year after purchase would soften the blow a little.
Haven't tried Kask, but the Giro Synthe fit and felt amazing when I tried it at a local store. Give that one a shot as well.
Old 03-16-16, 01:16 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Good timing! I just tried on about 12 helmets last week and decided on the Protone. The Mojito is nice but the back of the helmet came down too low and interfered with my sunglasses. Plus, it still sits up high on your head like pretty much every other helmet. The Protone was the last helmet I tried on and the fit is amazing. It sits low, adjusts very well and looks great IMO. It doesn't give you the mushroom head. Of course, it's the most expensive one, but I thought it was worth it.
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Oh, just FYI, the Mojito is kind of their "summer helmet" with lots of vents. The Protone is their half aero/half regular helmet, but I've had no heat issues yet in 80 degree So Cal weather.
Based on this comparison review's comparison of the two I had decided to go for the Mojito along with the fact that I also sometimes ride crushed stone trails in the woods (where speeds are lower and better rear protection might be handy). They suggested the Mojito has a smaller profile on the head and better venting, but noted the same that under 90 degrees the Protone cools fine. I've found only one place in Chicago that has them both, I guess I'll just have to make the trip downtown to try them both. Of course the $130 price difference is a factor too but that can be justified if the fit is significantly better.
Old 06-29-16, 10:19 AM
DevinB12

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any problems with your sunglasses fitting with your Mojito?
Old 06-29-16, 10:36 AM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Dunno if sunglasses will be significantly different, but the Mojito hasn't interfered with my regular glasses.
Old 06-29-16, 01:19 PM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I have a Protone and really love it. I've used it on some humid 90+ degree days and it's not to hot. Fit's really great.
Old 06-30-16, 07:27 AM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw the Protone from this board and now I really want it but the cost is insane. $300 is a lot to look good. I'll keep my eyes out for a good discount but unfortunately you can't buy them from the UK vendors due to Kask policy.
Old 06-30-16, 06:56 PM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by exime
I saw the Protone from this board and now I really want it but the cost is insane. $300 is a lot to look good. I'll keep my eyes out for a good discount but unfortunately you can't buy them from the UK vendors due to Kask policy.
I got my protone for $170 at https://precisionbikeshop.com/web-sales/ they do these weird random late night sales. I just happened to stumble into one.