Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike that won't take a rear rack - ideas for credit card tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike that won't take a rear rack - ideas for credit card tour

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 04:10 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
No worries on the spellchecker situation, the same thing happens to me when I write in French or Spanish.
yes, some people ride with backpacks, but it is not comfortable.
Given how little you want to carry, any reasonable, inexpensive rear rack will work with bending the support arm alot and using a p clamp if necessary. You probably would have to improvise.
Your bike has limited gearing, so the less weight the better.
And don't go to Les pryenees ou Les Alpes.....
Good luck, bon chance
Old 06-04-18, 06:13 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Live in France and own the bike. Did some short tours of Beaujolais and want to now do a longer tour along Rhone Via starting at Beaujolais and going south. It's not too mountaineous.

Trying to make this easy ...

Originally Posted by CliffordK
How about we back up a bit.
  • Do you actually have this bike (or an identical one?), or is it something you're planning to acquire on the road?
  • Is this a real tour, or just brainstorming? Where?
It is much easier to do the configuration and setup if you can acquire all the parts and assemble before the trip. Or, do as NASA does, have a full scale mockup on Earth, and the real one at the remote location.

You can't necessarily base decisions based on sales photos. Details are frequently subject to change, or something that might be an issue for one size might not be an issue for another size.

Your bikepacking bags may be an option for something that is easy to carry around. Even seatpost racks and small trunk bags.

As far as acquiring stuff... with internet access, I'd be surprised if it was impossible to order, just perhaps hard to test before you buy.

Certainly big European bicycle companies will ship around the world, and I presume American companies would ship at least to Europe. Chinese companies (Alibaba, AliExpress, and now E-Bay and Amazon) will also ship anyplace.

I thought the Germans were big on Hiking and Camping, and I presume bike packing. So... look at German companies. Or, even hop a train to Germany.

My old bike that has done quite a few miles, including several short tours, doesn't have a single eyelet anywhere. No dropout eyelets, no seatstay eyelets. Yet, It has had a rack on it for decades. Perhaps it is time for a rack upgrade as there is a lot available now that I just couldn't get in the mid 80's.
Old 06-04-18, 07:07 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
If you really want a rack - seat clamp collar with rack eyelets, got one when I cross-threaded a bolt into my wife's bike
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025UQ3I6/ref=sxr_rr_xsim_1
Link goes to an example, make sure you get one with the right diameter. Not sure if Amazon.fr has it, my search skills in French aren't very good.

Or P-style clamps which you should be able to get from a hardware store

Or buy bike-specific ones
wiggle.com Tubus Clamp Set For Seat Stay Mounting Pannier Racks
Old 06-04-18, 07:12 AM
djb

the axiom streamliner I bought for my wifes road bike cost less than 40 dollars canadian, and is made for brake setups like his bike. There has to be a similar rear rack sold in europe that is reasonably priced, and made for road bike brake single bolt.
Old 06-04-18, 07:19 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
The simple solution: P-clips.

Should be available in the electrical section of any hardware store for about $1 or the local equivalent, you can clamp them onto the seatstays anywhere you want, and attach the rack to them. Used them for pretty much my entire bike owning life, including bikes with rack mounts up top, never once had an issue.
Old 06-04-18, 07:22 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
that was tough....sitting here in my undies in bangkok.....0.56 sec google search for german online bike shops.
second one clicked has this here ueber-adjustable rack, rated 25 kg, for 12 and a half eurobucks.

it gots bent stays, p-clamps, brake mount adapter, and adjustable legses.

i weep for the milleniumals.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...8-black-402233

Old 06-04-18, 07:28 AM
djb

the problem isnt the pclamp or whatever, its that the sidepull brake is in the way of the stay going to the frame---hence you would have to bend it, or angle it down to a lower spot and p clamp it.
Basicallly, improvisation is needed, or you use a single support rod rack like the streamliner which is made to go onto a sidepull brake assembly bolt, which is easy and works.
But you do have to have a certain amount of mechanical experience, but any good bike shop can do it for him for a small fee, but he may live in a small small town without a bike shop or a larger one.
Old 06-04-18, 08:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
I'm not going to Iraq ! Thanks for all the suggestions. But the products you're suggesting are hard to get in France. Has anyone tried doing a credit card to a using just a backpack to hold say 5 pounds? I'm thinking of limitting myself to a hub and spoke tour.
Not all of the products suggested are hard to get in France. Tubus parts are available just over the border from Rose Bikes and Bike Components DE for a lot less than you can get them in the US. While you'd pay $35 to $50 (equivalent) for the Vega rack I linked to, we have to pay $125. You can get a rack that would be excellent for a 5 lb load. It's load capacity is 25kg which is more than the aluminum racks I've linked to in the previous post.

You could also look for Racktime racks. They aren't widely available in the US but I think they fill the niche that Blackburn does here. Looking for them at Bike Components DE, they appear to be about the same cost as the Vega, however. The Vega is still better than the Racktime.

As for bikepacking bags, they are expensive unless you go with a Chinese knockoff. An Ortlieb seat pack (again widely available in Europe) is cheaper than in the US but not by much. I have seen some Fleabay seat packs for $35 or less but I'd be very dubious about the quality.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!