Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Treating tents for pests

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Treating tents for pests

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 09:39 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Treating tents for pests

Looking to reduce the skeeter/tick factor on a supported tour in lower MI next month. Yes I googled this topic but am looking for BF'ers that have used chemicals to kill/repel the little suckers. I am thinking of treating the portion of the tent around the doors with something like Permethrin (nastier synthetic) or Pyrethrin (natural).
Have you had success with these or other tent treatments?
Old 07-05-10, 11:24 AM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I used Sawyer Permethrin on my tent, sleeping bag and clothes on a Central America tour last fall. I really can't say if it helped or not. I got eaten alive a couple of times, but that was from noseeums getting my exposed skin before I had applied repellent. Did Sawyer's keep them away from my clothes and tent? I didn't notice any bugs on or in my tent, and as long as I kept repellent on my skin in infested areas I was fine. It's probably worth a try, especially if you're going to be in an area known for lots of mozzys.
Old 07-05-10, 11:30 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have sprayed DEET on the mesh before, seemed to help keep the skeeters away. As a general rule I don't like using chemicals on my synthetics.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-05-10, 11:49 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Offhand I'd be reluctant to spray something right on the tent fabric. It could be harmless, but it could also negatively affect the seals, materials and/or other compounds.

A couple of options include mosquito coils and citronella candles, there's also that weird Off Clip-On thing. Also get in and out of the tent as fast and infrequently as possible. I'm pretty sure something along those lines will be sufficient to drive off MI bugs.
Old 07-05-10, 02:45 PM
skijor
on by

It's a bit of a crap shoot. Some campsites (high schools) are very woodsy and therefore buggy. I wouldn't apply anything to seams. Mosquitoes love me so I figured I'd try something different. Thanks for the input everyone! I was wondering if something applied to the tent would repel pests if I were sitting nearby just chatting with friends but I suppose that's asking a bit much. Might have to go with applying something like permethrin to a long-sleeved shirt and wear that over something else to prevent skin contact. That'd be one way to avoid spraying stuff (OFF or other DEET stuff) directly onto the skin...especially after having showered.
Old 07-05-10, 11:24 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I wouldn't apply deet to snythetics. My work hardhat has some of the paint missing from insect repellent overspray. We also used it to loosen a "frozen" lugnut while trying to fix a flat tire! I agree with Baciagalupe about the possibility of damaging coated nylon and silicone.
Old 07-06-10, 12:36 AM
jurjan

Bikes: Idworx Easy Rohler (2012) / Velotraum Speedster Single Speed (2019) / Batavus Stabilo (1995, now decommisioned)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
DEET is horrible stuff. The only thing is has counting for it is that it repels bugs.
plastics reacts badly (most of them anyway) with it.
I have seen it's effects on the frames of glasses, synthetic clothing etc.
I wouldn't dream (except in nightmares) of putting DEET on my tent.
I don't know the other two (Permethrin and Pyrethrin) mentioned, so can't comment on them,
but unless I'd tested them on a piece of tent fabric I would not use them on my tent either.
Old 07-06-10, 01:09 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I simply hate the smell of various repellent candles or other burning repellents. On some occasions I've had them burning outside the cabin door, but it seems the smell finds its way in. And as others have stated, applying chemicals on your tent without testing first on actual tent fabric is a bad idea.

The netting in my old tent door stops pretty much all flying insects we have around, no chemicals required. A few will get in with me, but it's easy enough to find and kill them in the small closed space. I doubt the netting would stop ticks, but my understanding is ticks don't actively close in on you from distance like mosquitoes do. I actually prefer sleeping in a tent if the area has lots of mosquitoes. Sitting around the campfire, that's another story.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 07-06-10, 06:20 AM
gregw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor
It's a bit of a crap shoot. Some campsites (high schools) are very woodsy and therefore buggy. I wouldn't apply anything to seams. Mosquitoes love me so I figured I'd try something different. Thanks for the input everyone! I was wondering if something applied to the tent would repel pests if I were sitting nearby just chatting with friends but I suppose that's asking a bit much. Might have to go with applying something like permethrin to a long-sleeved shirt and wear that over something else to prevent skin contact. That'd be one way to avoid spraying stuff (OFF or other DEET stuff) directly onto the skin...especially after having showered.
I use a Thermacell for repelling insects. It will keep an area of about 10'x10' clear, and does not smell bad. It takes a few minutes to clear out the area, but works great. Do a search on it, gets great reviews.
Old 07-06-10, 08:39 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IIRC spraying insect repellent on my tent will void the warranty. Not sure how the manufacturer would know if you did, but surely they know that it damages tent fabrics....
Old 07-06-10, 08:43 AM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just wanted to add - my tent and clothes have suffered zero ill effects from application of Sawyer's.
Old 07-06-10, 08:58 AM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used permetherin for years when in the army on clothes and tents, sleeping bags, bivy bags, etc. No harmful effects and it works okay I guess. By no means use DEET on that stuff, it eats away an nearly anything, especially plastic.
Old 07-06-10, 03:37 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5463 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by gregw
I use a Thermacell for repelling insects. It will keep an area of about 10'x10' clear, and does not smell bad. It takes a few minutes to clear out the area, but works great. Do a search on it, gets great reviews.
Thermacell works great. Set it up outside your tent door and you will have no skeeters in the tent.
Old 07-06-10, 10:16 PM
skijor
on by

Never heard of Thermacell until now. Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try before the tent treatment. I have a month to test and right now is perfect. The bloodsuckers are in full force in my back yard.
Old 07-07-10, 02:27 AM

Bikes: Two Robin Mather custom built tourers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think that the best way to avoid ticks would be long pants and socks, plus regular tick checks. We found burning a mosquito coil helped keep the biting bugs away. I'd also be reluctant to spray chemicals on my tent.
Old 07-07-10, 05:11 AM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor
Never heard of Thermacell until now. Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try before the tent treatment. I have a month to test and right now is perfect. The bloodsuckers are in full force in my back yard.
Used mine this past 4th of July weekend, kept the skeeters away from our fireworks viewing group.
Old 07-07-10, 09:41 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I know this is going to sound funny but,Avon Skin-So-Soft body lotion is the best skeeter/deer tick repellent on the market and I'm not sure they know it.I've been using it for longer than I want to admit.

If you don't believe me,google it.It used to be the best kept secret in the backpacking/mountain climbing world.

Smells good,not greasy,lasts about 8 hours and makes your skin OH-SO-SOFT!

If the skeeters don't like you,the tent will take care of itself.

Last edited by Booger1; 07-07-10 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-08-10, 06:42 AM
skijor
on by

^ Thanks and yes, I heard of it but never tried it. It seems to be a YMMV thing. It's worth a shot. I'd rather put that on than any of the oily DEET-containing products.
Old 07-08-10, 06:01 PM
mthayer

Bikes: 2009 Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+100 on the Avon Skin so soft. I have used it and swear by it. It doesnt stink like Off or other repellants, and I will put it on in the truck before we get out into the skeeters. Just say no to DEET. Off does have a non aerosol repellant that doesnt stink quite so bad, but it burn when I put it on.
Old 07-09-10, 04:56 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned of Skin So Soft while wind surfing along Central Florida's east coast well over 20 years ago. I works very well. I don't know why Avon doesn't market it as such, however they do not. I'm fairly sure they must know by now that it works better than anything else at keeping bugs off as others have said.
Old 06-09-18, 09:35 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by NedYoder
You should try this and let us know the results.
Congratulations on winning the Newbie Trifecta - you've managed to resurrect three old threads (8 YEARS!) with your first three posts.
Old 06-09-18, 12:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Citronella candle in your candle lantern?
Old 06-09-18, 01:34 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
The smell of Skin-so-Soft is the worse part. To apply enough, you need to use more than you normally would. The smell turns rancid, and starts building up layers and then creeps its way into everything that you wear, and you smell gross all the time. Just thinking about getting slathered in that crap when I was a kid makes me gag right now.