Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Mirror, mirror on the bike......

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-03-19, 10:51 AM
RobertaWar

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So here is my problem. I bought a Mirrcycle side mirror for my bike. I have had one before on an older bike and I really liked it. When I got it home I couldn't figure out how to attach it since my handlebar grips appear to have an allen wrench screw in the side. They are ergonomic. The directions say to cut the end off the grip but I don't think I can do that with this type of grip. Any ideas? I bought a helmet mirror but I don't really like it. I like the side mirror better. Thanks so much,

I wanted to post a photo so you could see what I am talking about but it says I need to have ten posts and this is my first post.
Old 03-03-19, 11:13 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
@RobertaWar's gallery/albums

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/495975
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/13042090

Old 03-03-19, 11:23 AM
CliffordK

I'd look at the bolt sizes carefully. Then if it looks like the bolts will be compatible, perhaps get a longer bolt for your bar grips.

Cut the mirror here:

Then bolt it all together.
Old 03-03-19, 12:16 PM
RobertaWar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for posting my photo. So then I cannot remove the grip? I don't have the proper tools for cutting that piece. (I am a girlie girl as well as an old person)

Why does it have that screw in the first place? I never had that on any other bikes I have owned.

Thank you for being so helpful in spite of my ineptitude.
Old 03-03-19, 12:36 PM
CliffordK

You should be able to remove or modify the grips.

Loosen the bolt, and see if the grips turn. The grips may be attached to your grip shifter, although they are usually two distinct parts.

I don't deal with MTB bikes much, but I'd imagine that there is some kind of compression joint inside the grips to help keep them from twisting (helpful with the ergonomic style grips).

Looking at the part, likely a simple rubber compression, although there could be a compression joint like you have on your mirror.

Similar to bar end plugs?

"Ergon" brand grips are the biggest ergo grip brand. It appears as if they are locking (external band), and have a removable plug for your mirror.

Produkte ? ERGON BIKE

Nonetheless, I think you could force your mirror to work,
Old 03-03-19, 01:25 PM
RobertaWar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for all the helpful info. At least I know what is going on in there and the why of it.
Old 03-03-19, 03:54 PM
CliffordK

I see photos online of people using mirrors similar to yours with Ergon grips.

Note the external clamp rather than the internal clamp.

But, I'd imagine you could modify your setup to work.

If you come up with a good idea, then you have to know someone around that could help you with the modifications.

And, if it doesn't work... the hopefully it wasn't that expensive.

If not, then it is time to get a toolbox with a hacksaw, a few files, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.
Old 03-03-19, 04:44 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertaWar
So here is my problem. I bought a Mirrcycle side mirror for my bike. I have had one before on an older bike and I really liked it. When I got it home I couldn't figure out how to attach it since my handlebar grips appear to have an allen wrench screw in the side. They are ergonomic. The directions say to cut the end off the grip but I don't think I can do that with this type of grip. Any ideas? I bought a helmet mirror but I don't really like it. I like the side mirror better. Thanks so much,

I wanted to post a photo so you could see what I am talking about but it says I need to have ten posts and this is my first post.
Personally, I as well as many subscribers like helmet or eyeglass-mounted rearview mirrors.

I wear two, the especially popular Take-a-Look brand, left and right (link). FWIW.

Note: the mirrors are only one type, but can be worn on either side

PS: I didn't notice your comment, "I bought a helmet mirror but I don't really like it. I like the side mirror better."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-03-19 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 03-03-19, 08:37 PM
RobertaWar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cannot seem to get a good look at the road behind me with the bike helmet. I must be doing something wrong.....Most likely I think I am going to take my bike over to my local bike shop and see if they can attach the side mirror for me.
I thought maybe I could avoid it but I think it will be best for me. Thanks everyone for all your help!
Old 03-03-19, 10:53 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I was never successful making a helmet mirror work for me. It was extremely hard for me to shift my focus from looking ahead, to the mirror. I wonder if it has to do with which eye is dominant. Trying to use a helmet mirror while wearing glasses might have compounded the problem.

I got a Mirrycle just like yours, and I'm guessing the shop will be able to make it work for you. Mine is on my "road" bike, which is basically a sporty looking hybrid with swept handlebar. Unfortunately, there's so much variety in bike components these days, that there is no longer a "standard" that allows any accessory to fit any bike. So it's always possible that attaching something will require a bit of finagling.
Old 03-04-19, 10:24 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
There might be unique individuals out there who immediately took to a helmet (or eyeglasses) mounted mirror but most of us have to work at it for awhile. Humans vary in their individual capacity to tolerate frustration. Many give up days before they would have made the breakthrough that guarantees success. They will never know that of course. They just chalk it up (down) to "it just didn't work for me". But bike mounted mirrors are perfectly valid and in the o.p.'s case, she will probably be told that the OEM grips will have to go away (no big loss, they were essentially free) to use the Mirrycle. There are scads of grips that will work with those Mirrycles. I have grips by Control Tech that have an external 3mm allen key secured clamp (like the Ergons pictured above, but non-ergonomic, and less than 1/2 the price) that secures the grip but it does not block the bar end opening. You can use the supplied end plug or use your bar end mirror as you choose.
Old 03-09-19, 03:24 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I rarely ride without a mirror, but mine clips onto my sunglasses not the bar, but either or would work.
Old 03-17-19, 09:00 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
I used the Take A look Mirror for many years. It is not always comparable with different kinds of eye wear. I recently stated using the Safe Zone Helmet Mirror. It allows me to look without needing to turn my head, when checking the lane. Bigger is better.
Old 04-30-19, 10:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I used the Take A look Mirror for many years. It is not always comparable with different kinds of eye wear. I recently stated using the Safe Zone Helmet Mirror. It allows me to look without needing to turn my head, when checking the lane. Bigger is better.
intriguing mounting - it may be compatible with my new helmet which has a face shield. I have the take-a-look but it wouldn't work with the big shield which is used down & up

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-30-19 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-30-19, 07:42 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertaWar
...I am a girlie girl as well as an old person...
Don't sell yourself short. Check out the Fifty-Plus forum.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/
Old 05-01-19, 07:43 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Many men like girly girls. And plenty of us have been liking them for several decades or more .... You are completely welcome here and among friends .... and people like me, so watch out.