Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with people looking down on old frames?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What's the deal with people looking down on old frames?

Old 05-21-19, 05:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Ignorance, prejudice, and as always, no accounting for taste.
Old 05-21-19, 05:46 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,780 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I enjoyed DS9...it was a great rip off of Babylon 5.
Ripoff? Ripoff?

Anything with the Hawk is the end all be all. "Somebody should have told him this is a bad neighborhood."

Old 05-21-19, 06:01 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Ripoff? Ripoff?

Anything with the Hawk is the end all be all. "Somebody should have told him this is a bad neighborhood."

I like DS9...and Cisco is my fave captain...but, objectively, it blatantly stole from
b5...and it wasn’t as good.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 05-22-19 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-21-19, 10:06 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Every time I throw my leg over a bike to ride, Im looking down on an "Old Frame". Seems that thats allI have are old frames. The newest bike I own is a 1991. So yup I' guilty, Im one of those persons looking down on old frames.
Old 05-22-19, 08:03 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
If you want a comfy ride, that's easy to shift and want to still try and go as fast as you can or compete....then new bikes are great. Even better, get electric assist. No joke I have a few friends that ride these on certain days just to get out.

If you like cool old stuff and tinkering, and being different...the old bikes are it. And if you ride multiple times a week, you can keep pace with 95+% of rides. You just may have to work harder. No one makes fun when you are leading most of the time or pull your weight.

My only experience with this was when we dropped a guy that thought he was faster then he was at the sprint section of a ride. When he arrived he insinuated I could not afford a new bike and tried to make fun of the fact I had a frame pump when you can buy a Co2 set up cheaply. I have several but like my frame pump thank you.

I wasn't going to, but proceeded to tell the rest of the group that arrived how he yelled out "I'm done!" And threw his arms in the air as we dropped him. Dont throw stones when you are in a glass house ...
Old 05-22-19, 09:59 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I show up on various old steel bikes, and people look, nod, maybe smile.
They do not shy away in pacelines, because if I feel good, I do it right.

I show up on a new steel bike and they sometimes ask about it.
Because it's modern, generally they want to know if it's steel, aluminum, and where it was made.

I show up on a Y-Foil and they look genuinely confused.
What, a fat man can't ride a "carbon sort-of-a bike?"
They remain polite, i.e. they laugh at me quietly, because I can come across as a bit mean.

Most of them look down on me and my bike. I'm 5'6"
Some of them look over at me, because there are other short people around.
When my KG-196 arrives, I'll Look at them, and I'll smile.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-22-19 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-22-19, 10:54 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
My carefully crafted, deeply considered response to the scenarios you presented -

At first glance, they assume it's an old Walmart bike (which it surely is not) and pass judgement my way without giving it a closer look. I've had a bike shop mechanic do that and turn my bike away from service.

Who cares, screw them!

Make passing jokes/comments at my expense. Like the time someone I met went into a full rant about how trash the biopace on my bike are, without warranting any such discussion. Yes, it's universally ridiculed, but it works for me and I haven't had any problems with it, thanks.

Who cares, screw them!

I must be stupid for putting so much money into this, about $500 dollars in parts and service. Oh boy, if saving money was my priority. then I wouldn't be into mountain biking. It's about having fun, no idea why this is such a sticking point. If you want to do it and can afford it, do it, right? It's like telling the folks who like to supercharge their Honda Civics to save up for a Bugatti haha.

Who cares, screw them!

"Don't do X or Y, you won't get the value out of it." This makes me smile, as if I'm some scrapper trying to refurbish bikes to resell.

Who cares, screw them!

"Don't bother doing X, save up for another bike." I don't need the newest and shiniest carbon bike at the moment. This thing has lit a spark of joy in me for mountain biking and backpacking, and I'll buy the newest YT Jeffsy when I feel like my skills have progressed to deserve having one.

Who cares, screw them!

Last edited by Bad Lag; 05-22-19 at 10:59 AM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 05-22-19, 10:54 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
If you like cool old stuff and tinkering, and being different...the old bikes are it. And if you ride multiple times a week, you can keep pace with 95+% of rides. You just may have to work harder. No one makes fun when you are leading most of the time or pull your weight.
Tinkering with old stuff is the main reason I do it. When people see me at a group ride for the first the probably think I dusted the cob webs off the old thing to try riding again. After the third or fourth time bringing a different bike, they notice the pattern and ask "Just how many bikes do you own?"

I don't get to ride several times a week, so I don't ride with the fast group. But even in the half-fast group, I have a good time. We ride the same route as the fast group and collect anyone who gets dropped.

Regarding the CO2 vs. pump debate, I ride in a rural area, so there is the occasional loose dog. A frame pump has lot more reach than a CO2 canister should I need to defend myself.
Old 05-22-19, 06:28 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
On the one hand...at the end of the day, it’s not about how the bike looks, it’s how it rides. I like my CF bikes, and disc brakes are pretty darn sweet! I like the handlebar position on my black specialized. I love STI, and I like wide gear ranges that shift smoothly with no effort.

On the other...yeah...it’s boring going on rides where the bikes all look the same. There is an artless monotony to it. I miss the days of beautiful paint, and distinctive marquees with mythology. As much as I enjoy my CF stuff, they do lack that style. That verve. It’s nice having both!

Yep, them is what I saw, Gi-trek-alize. All the CF in China will not make up for the 50 pounds most of the guys I saw riding high-zoot Gi-trek-alize'es carry around their mid-regions, lol. Maybe next time I enter the Pikes Peak race to the top I will try one out but on normal terrain they have no significant advantage if any advantage at all over a good steel bicycle with a good motor.
Old 05-23-19, 09:14 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
If I get grief for riding my old 85 Peugeot Canyon Express, I just look at whoever’s dishing it out and ask them “why do you care what I ride?” Or “How does what I ride affect your life in any way?” Usually the two questions will stop anybody short... unless they’re ignorant enough to pursue - i.e., I just think you could go so much faster or there’s so much better stuff out now or can’t you afford anything nicer or some other variant. Once again - “why do you care?” Or “How does what I ride affect your life in any way?”.
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 05-23-19, 09:46 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

The only crappy comments I ever see about bikes are typically from commuters/freds complaining about modern bikes and/or roadies. It's not the roadies that usually seem defensive/judgmental. It's usually the anti-snobs that are the most snobby. It's especially funny to me when you see it on a thread like this complaining about people being judgey.

It's also funny seeing people who have no idea what they're talking about grouping entire eras of bikes together...but I guess some feel better about their own things by running down other options (whether they've actually used them or not). IME no one really cares about what you ride, except on the internet and bike shows.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 05-23-19 at 09:51 AM.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 05-23-19, 10:31 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
The only crappy comments I ever see about bikes are typically from commuters/freds complaining about modern bikes and/or roadies. It's not the roadies that usually seem defensive/judgmental. It's usually the anti-snobs that are the most snobby. It's especially funny to me when you see it on a thread like this complaining about people being judgey.

It's also funny seeing people who have no idea what they're talking about grouping entire eras of bikes together...but I guess some feel better about their own things by running down other options (whether they've actually used them or not). IME no one really cares about what you ride, except on the internet and bike shows.
I couldn’t agree more.

I thought it, you said it.
Likes For gomango:
Old 05-23-19, 01:08 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3857 Post(s)
Liked 6,449 Times in 3,189 Posts
"Don't touch it! Don't point. Don't even look at it."

#problemsolvers
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-26-19, 06:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
It really is the opposite for me. I look down on anything new. I do not like brifters, do not care for so called disc brakes, CF, meh, sick of matte black bicycles. Does anybody make bicycles anymore other than Trek and Specialized? I will go to an event, and there will be nothing but (mostly older folks, well heeled) on the newest CF Trek (black) or Specialized (also black). And then some black Giants thrown in for good measure and that is it!

And, while on the subject, it is okay to wear cycling shorts other than black also.

And younger folks, so sorely missing from any scene, hey they make these things called bicycles, and they are FUN and you can ride them and have FUN! and in the REAL world, not some virtual pretend world. Where are you? When I was young I never saw older folks and now that I am older I never see younger folks!
'Disc brakes' came on 1950s Schwinn cantilevered models so I hardly call it 'new'. They have a brake arm just like the rear, a 'pork chop' if you would.

The coffee shop downtown that used to be an LBS (same guy) has some boards about Col. Pope's new industry, 'pedal pushers' and a bike safety fair in New York City c. 1976. Some lucky girl about my age had the most excellent whitewalls ever on her purple banana seat bike.

The 'pedal pushers' were all seniors and there were a lot of them in the picture.

Last edited by Rollfast; 05-26-19 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-26-19, 06:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
My carefully crafted, deeply considered response to the scenarios you presented -

At first glance, they assume it's an old Walmart bike (which it surely is not) and pass judgement my way without giving it a closer look. I've had a bike shop mechanic do that and turn my bike away from service.

Who cares, screw them!

Make passing jokes/comments at my expense. Like the time someone I met went into a full rant about how trash the biopace on my bike are, without warranting any such discussion. Yes, it's universally ridiculed, but it works for me and I haven't had any problems with it, thanks.

Who cares, screw them!

I must be stupid for putting so much money into this, about $500 dollars in parts and service. Oh boy, if saving money was my priority. then I wouldn't be into mountain biking. It's about having fun, no idea why this is such a sticking point. If you want to do it and can afford it, do it, right? It's like telling the folks who like to supercharge their Honda Civics to save up for a Bugatti haha.

Who cares, screw them!

"Don't do X or Y, you won't get the value out of it." This makes me smile, as if I'm some scrapper trying to refurbish bikes to resell.

Who cares, screw them!

"Don't bother doing X, save up for another bike." I don't need the newest and shiniest carbon bike at the moment. This thing has lit a spark of joy in me for mountain biking and backpacking, and I'll buy the newest YT Jeffsy when I feel like my skills have progressed to deserve having one.

Who cares, screw them!
That's what the hippies said, after meeting the Doobie Bros. Somehow stuff got done anyway.
Old 05-26-19, 06:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I show up on various old steel bikes, and people look, nod, maybe smile.
They do not shy away in pacelines, because if I feel good, I do it right.

I show up on a new steel bike and they sometimes ask about it.
Because it's modern, generally they want to know if it's steel, aluminum, and where it was made.

I show up on a Y-Foil and they look genuinely confused.
What, a fat man can't ride a "carbon sort-of-a bike?"
They remain polite, i.e. they laugh at me quietly, because I can come across as a bit mean.

Most of them look down on me and my bike. I'm 5'6"
Some of them look over at me, because there are other short people around.
When my KG-196 arrives, I'll Look at them, and I'll smile.
I just tell them I joined a forums site with a bunch of old men willing to give me stuff for next to nothing and try to do the same for others. Works.
Old 05-26-19, 06:48 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I enjoyed DS9...it was a great rip off of Babylon 5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZfgWdsppVM
Aren't they all just a ripoff of all the ripoff TV westerns that came before anyway? Seriously, circle the wagons, we have static Klingons.
Old 05-26-19, 07:40 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Aren't they all just a ripoff of all the ripoff TV westerns that came before anyway? Seriously, circle the wagons, we have static Klingons.
A: no.
Old 06-02-19, 08:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

So they don't have Gabby Hayes.
Old 06-03-19, 03:41 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
So they don't have Gabby Hayes.
Yes. Except his name's Garak.

(Or is it Quark?)

(Or is it Scotty?)

(Or is it C3PO?)

(Or is it Neelix?)

(Or is it Mollari?)
Old 06-03-19, 08:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,353 Times in 7,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere

Regarding the CO2 vs. pump debate, I ride in a rural area, so there is the occasional loose dog. A frame pump has lot more reach than a CO2 canister should I need to defend myself.
...but with pressurized gas you can shoot paint balls.
Likes For 3alarmer: