Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi help please

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 06:23 PM
Tautatis

Bikes: Miyata 912|Raleigh Super Course & MK II|Trek 830(Original Owner)/610/520/510/420/310|Jamis Coda 2011|Fuji Monterrey & Tourer|Shogun CroMo 500 & 600|1987 Bianchi Sport SX & Ltd|Mossberg VM-1, 1980 Mercian Olympic| Takara Olympic| Bridgestone RB-2|

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Hi , it's been a month now and I have been working steadily along on the Bianchi . Paint is done , Krylon Satin Jade and Krylon Crystal Clear coat . I have all the stickers but the paint needs to dry more before I put them on . I'm using some of the parts that came with the bike , most notable change is the brakes . They are Tektro double pivot , the Modolo Sporting single pivots just weren't doing anything for me plus I had the Tektros so on they went . For the bars and stem I'm using 26.4 Cinelle , the bike came with 3TTT 26 . I still might use the 3TTT and they are nice but I would have to get a shorter stem . The bottom bracket was a learning experience for sure , first it's Offmega and a had pitted spindle . I could not find a replacement spindle , according to Sheldon the Offmega is different from Campy and I didn't really want to buy new cups and all as I wasn't really sure what to get . I did know the spin is 116mm the BB shell is 70mm and the spin is asymmetrical , so I did something I thought I would never do , I reground the spindle . I could not believe it , it came out nice . First I put the spin in my little hobby lathe , chuck one end live center in the other , then I bought a cone shaped cylinder grinding stone for my Dremel , the key with the cone is that you can adjust the diameter with the cone to fit the radius of the spin . After I got the pits out I wrapped sand paper around a drill shank that fit the radius and polished .
Some little embellishments you might notice .. The fender mounts are gone and I made a little cup mount for the rear brake . For the fork there wasn't enough thickness to counter sink for the recess nut so I left it proud I hope you like my bike so far and thanks for looking .
mw

IMG_0292 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0298 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0312 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0303 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0316 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0310 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_0317 by mark westi, on Flickr
Congrats. The bike looks great. Show us more pictures when completely done. Great job and I like it!!!
Old 04-06-19, 06:37 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
That looks great. You've done a really nice job with it.
Old 04-06-19, 07:01 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Thanks so much you guys . @Tautatis & @76SLT . @CroMo Mike . If I ever get a spray booth I know I could get rid of the orange peel . I told mswesti "when the stickers go on it's gonna pop".

Last edited by markwesti; 04-08-19 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-25-19, 03:54 PM
markwesti

Almost done , I need to get the wheelset built and a new saddle . That is going to take a bit so I thought I'd show you what I have done . Paint and decals are done , I'm pretty sure you don't wan't me putting on your cals I think I got at least one on straight . The block black Bianchi DT & ST decals are not correct for this 84' Alloro but they are what I think looks good and I don't think they actually came on a older Bianchi . The signature Edwardo Bianchi decal I got from a really cool guy that lives in the Ukraine . The Alloro decal I had made up by a local sign Co.
I changed the brake calipers to Campy Victory and put Tektro pads that are fully adjustable . RD is Nuovo Record , jockey wheel cages are a little wonky but I got them fairly straight . When I first got this bike it had a 120mm stem I knew that no way was that gonna' work , got a 60mm and the fit is good . Thanks for reading , here are some pics.
PS Thanks to Bianchi Girl for Identifying 84' Alloro and T-Mar for the heads up on the tubing type .

IMG_0345 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0336 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0349 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0352 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0348 by mark westi, on Flickr
Likes For markwesti:
Old 05-25-19, 05:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Almost done , I need to get the wheelset built and a new saddle . That is going to take a bit so I thought I'd show you what I have done . Paint and decals are done , I'm pretty sure you don't wan't me putting on your cals I think I got at least one on straight . The block black Bianchi DT & ST decals are not correct for this 84' Alloro but they are what I think looks good and I don't think they actually came on a older Bianchi . The signature Edwardo Bianchi decal I got from a really cool guy that lives in the Ukraine . The Alloro decal I had made up by a local sign Co.
I changed the brake calipers to Campy Victory and put Tektro pads that are fully adjustable . RD is Nuovo Record , jockey wheel cages are a little wonky but I got them fairly straight . When I first got this bike it had a 120mm stem I knew that no way was that gonna' work , got a 60mm and the fit is good . Thanks for reading , here are some pics.
PS Thanks to Bianchi Girl for Identifying 84' Alloro and T-Mar for the heads up on the tubing type .

IMG_0345 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0336 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0349 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0352 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_0348 by mark westi, on Flickr
Looks great and I suspect you are in this very right so well done.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-26-19, 09:25 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Great job on the restoration! I have a similar project, an 83 Nuova Racing that I am finishing up. I am curious on how you polished out the shift levers? Was it a polishing compound?
Likes For Thalia949:
Old 05-27-19, 11:58 AM
markwesti

Originally Posted by Thalia949
Great job on the restoration! I have a similar project, an 83 Nuova Racing that I am finishing up. I am curious on how you polished out the shift levers? Was it a polishing compound?
Thanks for the nod Thalia . For the shifters (everything) I used Mothers Mag polish . There is no anodize on the levers so they polish out easy . With all this old stuff the ano . is usually pretty cloudy so I just sand it off and do the Mothers .
Looking forward to seeing your 83' Nuovo Racing .
M.
Old 05-27-19, 03:23 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Mothers Mag - will give it a try.

Once mime is complete I will get some pictures posted.
Likes For Thalia949: