Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Asian Serial Number Guide

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Asian Serial Number Guide

Old 10-10-18, 07:19 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts

Component date codes all 84/85 and serial # jibes with Maruishi for 1985.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 10-31-18, 01:23 PM
Sanz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. may you help me identify my friend's serial number frame
1. located on a straight bottom bracket and there are 2 ellipse holes Y5M85031285 / YSM85031285
and is on the top right head tube E5 E5
and head tube left top down 73 61
then there is a hole holder for the road bike shifters left and right on the frame

example of the shape of a bottom bracket hole

2.there is a straight bottom bracket M23751
there are 3 small round holes forming a triangle. and there are also serials in the drop-out chainstay but I don't know. then the road bike shift holder left and right are bolt pivots

Is this one of the Peugeot and Bridgestone or the other
Please help. Thanks
Old 11-05-18, 10:09 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
85 Raleigh: 4L5R081 N (Taiwan)

87 Centurion: N6N7989

88 Centuiron: N7S5606
Old 11-27-18, 04:33 AM
willowillowillo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anybody can tell me what DRT1946 in a tsunoda tristar means?
Old 11-29-18, 07:07 PM
jboisleduc

Bikes: Elvish/B. Carré circa 1970, Shimano Norta Aero 1981, Shimano Aero AX 1981

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Many of you will be aware of my penchant for collecting and analyzing serial numbers. This guide compiles the results of a decade of data collection of pre-1990 Asian serial numbers.
Damm! thats a useful tool! THX T-Mar!
Old 12-03-18, 10:59 PM
carlycarlcarl

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on a serial number P3024249, which is located vertically on the non-drive side of the seat tube. The bike has 1989 Maillard hubs laced to rigida rims, was I'm guessing full Suntour Superbe Pro derailleurs, Sugino Maxy cranks and a Sugino hidden seat post clamp bolt.
Old 12-04-18, 10:27 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by carlycarlcarl
Hi all. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on a serial number P3024249, which is located vertically on the non-drive side of the seat tube. The bike has 1989 Maillard hubs laced to rigida rims, was I'm guessing full Suntour Superbe Pro derailleurs, Sugino Maxy cranks and a Sugino hidden seat post clamp bolt.
This could be reverse engineered several ways. Assuming it is Asian and the 'P' is the company identifier, it could be Pacific, a Taiwanese manufacturer, and the frame date would be February 1983. Pacific is best known for manufacturing some Lotus models during this period, so that would be one of my leading candidates, pending pictures. The component mix suggests that the bicycle has been extensively modified. Maxy cranks would be anachronistic with 1989 hubs and much lower level than Superbe Pro components. If you remove the forks, there may be a date code and/or manufacturer's stamp on the steerer tube. That could increase our confidence in the age and country of origin.
Old 12-04-18, 02:27 PM
carlycarlcarl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This could be reverse engineered several ways. Assuming it is Asian and the 'P' is the company identifier, it could be Pacific, a Taiwanese manufacturer, and the frame date would be February 1983. Pacific is best known for manufacturing some Lotus models during this period, so that would be one of my leading candidates, pending pictures. The component mix suggests that the bicycle has been extensively modified. Maxy cranks would be anachronistic with 1989 hubs and much lower level than Superbe Pro components. If you remove the forks, there may be a date code and/or manufacturer's stamp on the steerer tube. That could increase our confidence in the age and country of origin.
thanks for that. Will do some more digging and get some photos
Old 12-09-18, 07:17 PM
carlycarlcarl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are photos. Hope they're clear enough to help. The paint job is awful https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Wv?usp=sharing
Old 12-10-18, 11:23 AM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Steve Bauer brand; Whistler model Serial Number FN6xxxx

Identifying Details: has "Tange 900 CR-MO Double Butted Tubes" and "Made in Japan" stickers. Appears to be mid-late 1980s with cantilever brake bosses (front and rear) and braze-ons for low-rider rack on front fork (which has Tange Mangeloy 2001 sticker). Otherwise, I am not the first owner and I am not confident that other parts are all original, but it has Suzue Sealed Bearing Hubs, freewheel, Shimano DT shifters (rear indexed), Tange headset, SR stem, Sakae Randnner Road Champion handlebars.

Does not appear to follow the pattern for Yamaguchi. My guess is that "6" in SN could represent year of production (1986) but is missing characters to be either Fuji or Nissan, and apparent year indicates that it is not Maruishi or Miyata. Tsunodo not eliminated, because no information.

I am inclined to believe that this is a 1986 production, given cantilevers and touring style, but otherwise I have found no information. Ideas?
Old 12-11-18, 06:40 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Random Tandem
Steve Bauer brand; Whistler model Serial Number FN6xxxx....I am inclined to believe that this is a 1986 production, given cantilevers and touring style, but otherwise I have found no information. Ideas?

Yes, it could be a 1986, as the Steve Bauer brand goes back that far. I should be able to narrow down the era from pictures, as the Steve Bauer models went through three distinct graphics styles during the late 1980s to early 1990s. Once we narrow that down, we will have a better idea which components are likely to be OEM and can then resort to component date codes.
Old 12-11-18, 10:30 AM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Thanks, T-Mar, for this reply and the incredibly extensive information that this thread represents, I have attached photos of my Steve Bauer

Sorry about the picture quality - I need to get better lighting for photos I am taking during the dark season here in Vancouver.

-Will
Old 12-11-18, 12:44 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Random Tandem
... I have attached photos of my Steve Bauer.Sorry about the picture quality - I need to get better lighting for photos I am taking during the dark season here in Vancouver.

-Will

The monotone graphics are indicative of 1986-1987. The earliest evidence I have for the brand dates to 1986 and I went back and checked old advertisements to confirm that the graphics changed for 1988. Unfortunately, there were no examples specific to the Whistler, though it was mentioned in a 1986 advertisement.

Regarding components, the crankset looks era appropriate. The Shimano Z-series front derailluer was available during 1986-1987 and the rear Light Action derailleur appears to be a verison introduced in 1987. However, the derailleur appears to SIS compatible while the shift levers appear to be friction, so the rear derailleur may be a replacement. The brakes appear to be later Exage models and may not be OEM. I'd focus on the front derailleur and crankarms for date codes that may provide a clue to narrow down the model year.

BTW, no need to apologize for the photos. They're better than some I've had to rely upon and I'm well aware of the weather in Vancouver, with my son having attended UVic, across the Strait. At least your weather is mild, with average December temperatures being about 10F warmer than my neck of the woods.
Old 12-11-18, 01:18 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

The monotone graphics are indicative of 1986-1987. The earliest evidence I have for the brand dates to 1986 and I went back and checked old advertisements to confirm that the graphics changed for 1988. Unfortunately, there were no examples specific to the Whistler, though it was mentioned in a 1986 advertisement.

Regarding components, the crankset looks era appropriate. The Shimano Z-series front derailluer was available during 1986-1987 and the rear Light Action derailleur appears to be a verison introduced in 1987. However, the derailleur appears to SIS compatible while the shift levers appear to be friction, so the rear derailleur may be a replacement. The brakes appear to be later Exage models and may not be OEM. I'd focus on the front derailleur and crankarms for date codes that may provide a clue to narrow down the model year.
Your posting is the first mention I have seen regarding the Whistler model, which seems to me to be very nice ride. I have many touring bikes from the the 1970s and 1980s (mostly of Japanese manufacture) and this is one of my favourites.

The only components that I have replaced are the shift levers, which WERE 6 speed SIS and now ARE 7 speed SIS, along with changes to the rear freewheel and chain. These were replaced because the plastic teeth that engage them with the frame disintegrated and they ceased to function. I will look at the crankarms and FD to see what they reveal. I assume that the serial number FN6xxxx, since it does not follow one of the patterns in your guide is not helpful (other than the possibility that the "6" indicates 1986). Thanks again for all you do.

-Will

Last edited by Random Tandem; 12-11-18 at 02:25 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-11-18, 09:30 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

I was not able to see any codes on the FD, on account of it being really dirty, but I was able to see the code on the non-drive side crank arm (86C, presumably 1986 MAR) and easily access the codes on the brakes which are model BR-AT50 with date code KB27, which indicates that they were manufactured on 1986 FEB 27, which makes me think that they were probably original equipment for a 1986 or 1987 model. I will check on the FD when I can.

Last edited by Random Tandem; 12-11-18 at 10:02 PM. Reason: to add crank info
Old 01-17-19, 10:40 PM
AliH

Bikes: Mike Kowal Aravis Touring bike, 1952 Claud Butler Massed Start, 1959 Dawes Red feather, 1975 Carlton Criterium, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper, Bianchi Merlo MiniVelo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
Any idea what this might be? Found in a Cambodian bike warehouse where most bikes are second hand imported from Japan.It has been badly repainted but the lugs look like good quality - similar to my Bridgestone Eurasia. I can't find any markings on the frame and can't decipher what the serial number might be. It has a frame pump peg in the head tube and a chain hanger on the seat stay. Serial number appears to be J041168. It would require a lot of work, but I am not sure if it is worth it!

Old 01-18-19, 01:24 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by AliH
Any idea what this might be? Found in a Cambodian bike warehouse where most bikes are second hand imported from Japan.It has been badly repainted but the lugs look like good quality - similar to my Bridgestone Eurasia. I can't find any markings on the frame and can't decipher what the serial number might be. It has a frame pump peg in the head tube and a chain hanger on the seat stay. Serial number appears to be J041168. It would require a lot of work, but I am not sure if it is worth it!

The S/N format is consistent with Bridgestone. Head tube mounted pump pegs didn't start becoming popular until the late 1980s. Assuming Bridgestone, it could be 1990 but the Altus rear derailleur, if OEM, would point to 2000. Still, that might be a replacement derailleur as I definitely would not expect the Ambrosio rims on an Asian bicycle. What are the other major components?

Edit: Rear derailleur is circa 2000 Shimano Alvio, not Altus.

Last edited by T-Mar; 01-19-19 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 08:07 AM
AliH

Bikes: Mike Kowal Aravis Touring bike, 1952 Claud Butler Massed Start, 1959 Dawes Red feather, 1975 Carlton Criterium, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper, Bianchi Merlo MiniVelo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
The S/N format is consistent with Bridgestone. Head tube mounted pump pegs didn't start becoming popular until the late 1980s. Assuming Bridgestone, it could be 1990 but the Altus rear derailleur, if OEM, would point to 2000. Still, that might be a replacement derailleur as I definitely would not expect the Ambrosio rims on an Asian bicycle. What are the other major components?
It's a bit of a frankenbike - some 600, straight bars and some rapidfire shifters. No front mech.

On reflection - I am leaving it, but I think it is a Bridgestone. Stripped down, rebuilt (properly) and repainted, it would be a good bike.
Old 01-21-19, 12:38 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 110 Posts
Mystery Mixte

Hi folks,I just acquired a nice mixte frame set and am curious about the manufacturer. I know its nothing special, but it came with a nice V/O headset, an interesting Soma touring rack rated @ 55 lbs and a recent, nifty, translucent purple powder coat. I suspect that it is an Asian built bike boom product. My plan is to build it up for the dear as a replacement for her Trek "comfort" bike.Details:
  • Serial # on NDS rear dropout: Y003 80829
  • 123 stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket
  • ATAX, Made in France stem
  • Nice chrome fork
  • Lugged, but heavy frame (8.75#)
  • English threading
  • Straight steel seat post measures 25.0mm, but I suspect that it may have come with a 25.4 and the clamp has been crunched and/or there s some powder coat residue in the seat tube.
  • Stamped dropouts, only fork tips are threaded.
I’ll try to add pix soon. Any leads or info will be greatly appreciated.Thanks & regards,
Pix added. Sorry about the quality. Couldn't get details of serial #s.

Van

Last edited by Senior Ryder 00; 01-23-19 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Add pix
Old 01-28-19, 09:37 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
So based on the info in the first post, my Japanese made Peugeot Canyon Express lugged mountain bike is an Araya built frame... serial number is stamped on the seat tube near the BB on the non drive side: ARYG556273. This would translate as Araya built, July ‘85, sequential frame # 56273. Correct? It is a lovely frame and currently undergoing a transformation into a 26” wheeled touring bike...

Last edited by Smokinapankake; 01-28-19 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-19, 04:36 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
So based on the info in the first post, my Japanese made Peugeot Canyon Express lugged mountain bike is an Araya built frame... serial number is stamped on the seat tube near the BB on the non drive side: ARYG556273. This would translate as Araya built, July ‘85, sequential frame # 56273. Correct? It is a lovely frame and currently undergoing a transformation into a 26” wheeled touring bike...
Yes, your frame was manufactured by Araya of Japan in July 1985. Araya serial numbers have turned up on several other Peugeot ATBs of this era. While it was manufactured in 1985, it may possibly be a 1986 model, if Araya was building and stockpiling frames in advance of typical new model dates. You can identify the model year via the rear brake style and location. If it has cantilever brakes on the seat stays, it is the 1985 model. The 1986 model used a roller-cam brake mounted under the chain stays.
Old 01-28-19, 06:04 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
Cantilevers on the seat stays so deffo an 85... it’s at the powdercoaters now, should be back in a week or so. I posted a thread about it elsewhere in the C&V section under the title “Peugeot Canyon Express - heavy photos” several years ago. Thanks for the confirmation, I’ve wondered for several years now who made the frame. For what it’s worth, it’s sporting a decal at the BB on the seat tube: “guaranteed built with Ishiwata MTB double butted tubing”.

Last edited by Smokinapankake; 01-28-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 12:10 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00

Hi folks,I just acquired a nice mixte frame set and am curious about the manufacturer. I know its nothing special, but it came with a nice V/O headset, an interesting Soma touring rack rated @ 55 lbs and a recent, nifty, translucent purple powder coat. I suspect that it is an Asian built bike boom product. My plan is to build it up for the dear as a replacement for her Trek "comfort" bike.Details:
  • Serial # on NDS rear dropout: Y003 80829
  • 123 stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket
  • ATAX, Made in France stem
  • Nice chrome fork
  • Lugged, but heavy frame (8.75#)
  • English threading
  • Straight steel seat post measures 25.0mm, but I suspect that it may have come with a 25.4 and the clamp has been crunched and/or there s some powder coat residue in the seat tube.
  • Stamped dropouts, only fork tips are threaded.
I’ll try to add pix soon. Any leads or info will be greatly appreciated.Thanks & regards,
Pix added. Sorry about the quality. Couldn't get details of serial #s.

Van
Bump requesting any info!

Van
Old 02-02-19, 07:49 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Cantilevers on the seat stays so deffo an 85... it’s at the powdercoaters now, should be back in a week or so. I posted a thread about it elsewhere in the C&V section under the title “Peugeot Canyon Express - heavy photos” several years ago. Thanks for the confirmation, I’ve wondered for several years now who made the frame. For what it’s worth, it’s sporting a decal at the BB on the seat tube: “guaranteed built with Ishiwata MTB double butted tubing”.
Too bad I missed your original thread on this bicycle. I could have saved you years of wondering.
Old 02-02-19, 08:41 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Bump requesting any info!

Van

I believe what you have is a 1980 Peugeot UO19C Grand Sport. The serial number is consistent with a French manufactured Peugeot and is also supported by the presence of the Atax stem. This format came into use in the very late 1970s and your number would indicate March 1980 or March 1990. I'd expect internal brazing as opposed to lugs for the latter. The necked seat tube with cinch collar and head lug style are consistent with the 1980 mixte frames but I would have expected French threading. 25.0mm seat posts were also used on some Peugeot models.

In 1980 Peugeot offered two mixte model in the USA, the UO18 and UO19C. The former had braze-ons for a lighting system while the latter did not. Also the former used a fully painted fork while the latter had chromed bottoms. The lack of lighting system braze-ons and chrome fork on your frame point towards a UO19C which has had the original paint removed from the fork.

1980 catalogue page attached...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.