Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ben Page : The man who cycled across the frozen Arctic

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 11:13 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

The man who cycled across the frozen Arctic

Nell Lewis, CNN • Published 28th May 2018

(CNN) —"Ben Page set up the shot. He erected the tripod, attached the camera, pressed record.
Treading carefully to ensure his footprints in the snow were out of sight -- he got on his bike and cycled past the lens, eyes fixed on the vast untouched landscape ahead.
Page, aged 22 at the time, was in Yukon territory, the Canadian Arctic, on the most grueling section of a round-the-word cycle odyssey.
He had left the city of Whitehorse, and was roughly 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers) away from Tuktoyaktuk, the end of the American continent.
To get there he would have to cycle for 30 days along roads and frozen rivers, contending with snow storms, bitter winds, and temperatures as low as minus 40 Celsius (minus 40 Fahrenheit)....." article, here : https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/b...cle/index.html

Video, here : https://vimeo.com/252863313

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 05-28-18 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 07:39 PM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I wish I had it in me to do something like this, but alas nearly 60 and only happy to ride Australia now. If my years between 17 - 45 were not with the army, I think I would have travelled more extensively and done more cycle touring then I had done in my early years. It is a credit to these travellers whom get out of their comfort zone and do things like this. A well done video. Enjoyed it