Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ripped off Presta Tip with Hand Pump - bad technique/pump/tire?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ripped off Presta Tip with Hand Pump - bad technique/pump/tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 04:13 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Then there was something seriously wrong with the pump (pump leather in need of oiling or replacement most likely). I agree that you need to know the technique for using a Silca, but it's not difficult to get to 100 psi (though now that I've gone to wider tires I don't need to do that any more).

I'm curious as to why you think the Morph is superior to a Silca or Zefal. It's definitely not faster.
I used the Silca back in the 80s and trying to get 120 psi into my tubular tire with the Silca pump, the diameter of the tube was too big, thus I needed a lot of force to push the pump plunger. I did not have the arm strength to get enough force on it.

The Zefal is a smaller diameter tube, therefore it takes less force to push the pump plunger to pump each stroke to pump up a tire. But still you are pushing one hand towards the other hand to pump it, that is not an efficient use of muscle power.

And I prefer the Zefal chuck.

And ...

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I suppose it's because it's rather like a short floor pump, so you push down, against the ground..
Yup.

I did not discard my Zefals, still use two of them on two bikes. They work well enough for a road emergency, so I am not going to replace them when they still work. But if I was buying new, I would buy a mini-floor pump.

And, I am not in a hurry so if it takes a minute or two more to use a mini-floor pump that is easier to use, I will use the pump that is easier to use.
Old 06-05-18, 04:40 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I used the Silca back in the 80s and trying to get 120 psi into my tubular tire with the Silca pump, the diameter of the tube was too big, thus I needed a lot of force to push the pump plunger. I did not have the arm strength to get enough force on it.... But still you are pushing one hand towards the other hand to pump it, that is not an efficient use of muscle power.
Ah, I see. This sounds like a technique issue. There is a very specific technique to use with a Silca, and it involves placing the bike against a solid object so that you are not just "pushing one hand towards the other" but rather pushing towards a braced object, and also, the pushing arm gets locked against your body so you are using your entire body weight, not your arm strength to push those last important inches of the pump stroke. It does not take significant strength to get over 100 psi using this method. I've seen folks flail around with Silcas and Zefals who've never been shown the proper technique so I understand why you might have issues. However, when someone is shown the proper way to use one of these pumps it's like a lightbulb going on...i.e. "oh wow, it's easy now!" The Morph gets points here since there is no technique to learn.
Old 06-05-18, 04:45 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
I never damaged a valve using my zefal long pumps, but I have put a blister on my hand or finger having to hold the back of it to not move while pumping--dont recall the exact details, but all I know is that when I got a mini floor style one, the morph G, it was just so much easier as teh force is going down into the ground and your foot holds it still, and you dont have to fight with the end on the valve to avoid a mishap.

bottom line is that if you are someone who doesnt pay attention, or dont use common sense for not having the pumping action move the valve back and forth or whatever excessively, "regular" pumps CAN be problematic, while the mini floor types are just plain easier to use, and in my experience from having pumped tires to 100psi for decades using a zefal frame pump or similar, faster and easier on my arms too.
Old 06-05-18, 06:09 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Ah, I see. This sounds like a technique issue. There is a very specific technique to use with a Silca, and it involves placing the bike against a solid object so that you are not just "pushing one hand towards the other" but rather pushing towards a braced object, .....
Trying to brace the pump head in a way that was similar to your description so that I could try to get 120 psi is how I ruined a tubular tire when I damaged the stem. Call it technique if you want, bottom line is that I figured out what kind of pump to take on a trip.

The Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV strapped to the seat tube in the photo worked great, did not need to search for something to brace the bike against.

Old 06-06-18, 09:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Ah, I see. This sounds like a technique issue. There is a very specific technique to use with a Silca, and it involves placing the bike against a solid object so that you are not just "pushing one hand towards the other" but rather pushing towards a braced object, and also, the pushing arm gets locked against your body so you are using your entire body weight, not your arm strength to push those last important inches of the pump stroke. It does not take significant strength to get over 100 psi using this method. I've seen folks flail around with Silcas and Zefals who've never been shown the proper technique so I understand why you might have issues. However, when someone is shown the proper way to use one of these pumps it's like a lightbulb going on...i.e. "oh wow, it's easy now!" The Morph gets points here since there is no technique to learn.
Hold on there, Murgatroyd! I thought you said you could pump up the tire to pressure using the "valve stem at 12 o'clock, thumb wrapped over tire and index finger wrapped around the back of the head" as the "proper" technique. Now you are bracing the bike and pushing towards the braced object?

Been there. Done that. Ripped off the stem as a result. Got dents in my knees from bracing that stupid Zefal against my knee to try and avoid the problem.

Yes, the Morph type pumps get points for not needing any special technique to use them. That's the beauty of them. They are also already "braced"...against the ground...so you don't have to hold the bike, brace the stem so that you don't rip it off and pump. You can even lay the bike on the ground and pump it up.

Zefals, Silcas and other pumps were okay in their day...up to a point...but we have better pumps now*.

*My least favorite pump was a Zefal Mountain Double Shot. Most useless pump on the planet! The claim that you could pump up a tire to 160psi is wildly overstated. I could barely get 40 psi in it. If you want the pump, you can probably find it in South Park where I flung it off into the trees after it failed me for the 1000th time! You might have to dig for it, however. That was at least 20 years ago...maybe 30.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!