Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Eccentric bb maintainence

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 01:54 PM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

Having recently returned from a 5 day trail/gravel bit of everything ride our tandem developed a decent creak coming from the front end somewhere. On returning I thoroughly washed and lubed the bike(it was mud encrusted) the creak started on the first ride after that, I suspect my pedals but am aware of all the other likely culprits. I thought I would take the opportunity to strip out the ebb and clean all the interfaces, its a wedge type with a single cap screw that tightens the wedge the frame is alloy, is grease all that is required inside the shell and on all the mating surfaces or is there another product thats recommended also the wedge cap screw has no listed to torque setting I have always just nipped it reasonably tight and it hasnt moved but wonder if anyone has a number. Ive added a couple of pictures purely to inspire anyone coming to the shaky isles to ride the alps2ocean trail a superb experience..

Last edited by headasunder; 04-30-19 at 02:08 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 05-01-19, 02:10 AM
headasunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
I pulled out the ebb this afternoon the square taper inside it was knackered, replaced and greased everything biggish ride scheduled for tomorrow so heres hoping.
Old 05-02-19, 08:10 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I can’t help with the number but glad I clicked on the thread. What a picture - well done.
Old 05-02-19, 11:24 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
I can’t help with the number but glad I clicked on the thread. What a picture - well done.
Looks like a good trip. Where was this?

Anyone with a wedge EBB would benefit from this:

Don't take a hammer to the bolt to un-wedge it. Your EBB will probably have an access hole on the opposite side which will allow you to thread another bolt in from the other side. The best way to do this is loosen the bolt in the EBB, then introduce the second bolt on the other side before removing the original EBB bolt. Run the new bolt through a washer (or one or two stacked cone wrenches - the holes are perfect) and into the EBB. The idea is to catch the threads with the new bolt as the original bolt unscrews. I recommend this so that the barrel nut inside the EBB doesn't shift, preventing the new bolt from engaging the hole and threads. Once the new bolt has engaged the threads, you may remove the original bolt. Then tighten down the new bolt you installed (with grease on head and threads) to dislodge the wedge. This works great for wedges that have been in a long time and/or without adequate or disappeared grease.

I just had to mention this because I've seen enough recommendations to "hit it really hard with a hammer," which I consider bad advice and a great way to bend the wedge bolt and do all sorts of damage to the EBB and BB shell and environs.

My $0.02
Old 05-03-19, 04:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Might be another place for the grease with grit in it AKA carbon paste ..
around the eccentric so it won't get stuck, the grease part , but the grit bite keeps it from rotating
so you don't have to tighten it so hard, in the frame..
Old 05-03-19, 06:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I use marine anti-seize on mine.