Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-16, 04:20 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nice steady 50mi out and back to watch a friend destroy the Collegiate A's in their championship event. She lapped the field solo in a 50 minute crit a day after placing 6th/P/1/2/3 in a 65 mile road race. 19 years old. She just picked up a CycleSmart coach and a CX sponsorship. One to watch.
Old 04-24-16, 08:09 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11400 Post(s)
Liked 4,749 Times in 2,764 Posts
That flat sucks, @Heathpack. Knowing how much you enjoy new adventures, it bites that folks can't see that.

Glad you had a nice ride today.
Old 04-24-16, 08:36 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Was told to just go have fun for 2 hours so I did a loop I hadn't done in a while.
33 miles with 3,000' gain.

IF 0.83
TSS 145

A good week of work; TSS 795
Old 04-24-16, 09:25 PM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Nice ride today, around 50 miles/3500 ft climbing. This was a JRA for me, which really hit the spot. The only agenda item was some high tempo climbing. The main climb was 9 miles, not steep (~ 3%), and I just put it into gear and pedaled away on my power target for 40 minutes. It was repetitive & mindless and just very calming. Beautiful day & great company. Huge calorie deficit too- 1770 cal burned on only 375 cal consumed. I was dragging at the end though- big unexpected headwind on our descent back into town. Had I realized we'd have the wind, I would have eaten a little more.
Funny - very similar to my ride today too! I was prescribed 30 minutes of Z3, and 4 hours total. I set out and it was windy and cool and looked like rain...but as soon as I got the Z3 done, the clouds parted, the wind died, and it was a glorious April afternoon...and not much traffic around, either. It was a very pleasant ride, one of the nicest in recent memory....just what the Dr ordered after a few days of hard intervals.
Old 04-25-16, 08:28 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Off day today. Yesterday was a strength exercise, and the body was, as it usually is, early in the morning, hard to get started. Once it did, nice! Coach's strength training regimen is fun, and it's not as easy as it sounds.

Sorry I haven't been on here more. If I:

1) Did more rides in groups
2) Was racing more

...I would be.

Last edited by sarals; 04-25-16 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 03:13 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I've got a full weekend of racing planned for the end of this week. A TT Saturday, followed by a team clinic, then a crit Sunday (maybe two races). Then, on Monday, I go to Shreveport for four days. Two travelling, and two in the simulator for training and checkrides. I'll be home for only a week before I travel again, this time to Florida for a family gathering. Somehow I'll squeeze in training and maybe even a race.

This has been such a weird season for me so far. I've done very little racing, and the diet I did really threw things asunder. The diet is over with, and I've seen the form is still there, or at least I can get to it when I need it. However, the lack of continuity in my schedule has been frustrating. It's fun to read about everyone's races and training, but not being able to participate at my end has just sucked. Things aren't looking up at work, either. It's looking like the schedule isn't going to get any better any time soon. I hate to write this season off already, but I've missed races and am going to miss races I had counted on doing. If you read frustration and worse in my posts, well...that's the reason.
Old 04-25-16, 07:38 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Dang, Sara, I wish Shreveport weren't 200 miles each way or I could take you to dinner.

Yesterday was supposed to be the last recovery ride of the recovery from Tucson but I couldn't do it, had to do a couple of hours at endurance pace instead. Today was six Stomps (seated full-power accelerations from 8-10 mph in the 52-13) bracketed by seven minutes at threshold for warmup and cooldown. The Stomps were supposed to be ten seconds long; I did the first three that way but did 15 seconds for the fourth and fifth and 20 seconds on the last one...almost saw stars after that last one. It was kinda fun.

TNW tomorrow. The kids still drop me eventually, but they have to work longer and harder now.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-25-16, 09:43 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First time on the track tonight. Did a women's "track taster" session - mini intro class. It was super fun! I got to the blue line. There were so many participants (30+) I didn't get to ride much. Might have to take a certification class and try it some more.
Old 04-25-16, 11:57 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Chuck, darn it!!

valygrl, are you in the area?
Old 04-26-16, 06:32 AM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sarals - I'll be in the bay area Wed-Sun, working in Marin during the week, Mt. Hamilton Challenge Saturday, riding with sister on Sunday. I can't find your races on the NCNA calendar, where should I look? I doubt I can connect due to a tight schedule... but would try if the times/places make sense.
Old 04-26-16, 08:37 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Annoyed with myself because I mis-read my schedule and did tomorrows workout today. Some tough intervals, and I missed every one. Of course my chances of making the targets would be increased by doing the workout after two days of rest, like I was supposed to, instead of one like I did.

Then I finished my intervals and realized I had 15 minutes left- obviously I neglected to write down some part of the workout as well. Guessed and did the right thing with that 15 minutes. So at least that's something.

In my defense, I had a chaotic day at work yesterday.
Old 04-26-16, 08:37 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by valygrl
First time on the track tonight. Did a women's "track taster" session - mini intro class. It was super fun! I got to the blue line. There were so many participants (30+) I didn't get to ride much. Might have to take a certification class and try it some more.
Old 04-26-16, 01:17 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Sarals - I'll be in the bay area Wed-Sun, working in Marin during the week, Mt. Hamilton Challenge Saturday, riding with sister on Sunday. I can't find your races on the NCNA calendar, where should I look? I doubt I can connect due to a tight schedule... but would try if the times/places make sense.
I am not sure which race she is doing on Sunday but Saturday is the Beat the Clock Time Trial Series that is held on Canada Road south of Highway 92. Pen Velo Racing/Summit Bicycles » Beat the Clock TT Series

It is not a sanctioned race but is run as a training TT. Registration closes sometime during the week check the website - no day of. They have both aero and Merckx divisions. 9.7 mile out and back flat to rolling terrain starting at 7AM riders off every 30 seconds. Aero riders off first but if you let them know you want to go early Merckx, I am sure it is not a problem. My wife is racing aero ITT and with three other women in a TTT later.
Old 04-26-16, 02:35 PM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks!
Old 04-26-16, 02:54 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Hermes beat me to the punch on the Beat the Clock. My team hosts it. MEA will be there!

The crit is the Salinas Juniors Crit on the NCNCA Calendar for May 1st. It's not restricted to juniors, though. The women's field is always (at least from my experience) tiny, like no more than 6, and it's always combined and in the afternoon when the onshore winds have come up. Yes, like that CCCX race you did last year! I do the men's M55+, although this year the 55+ and 45+ 1/2/3/4 fields are combined. I'll do it anyway!

I hope I get to see you!
Old 04-26-16, 10:00 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Been doing TTTs for many years. For our district championship, I raced with the same two guys since 2008. We have had a variety of "4th teammates" over the years. This year was going to be the usual drill. We found someone who races a bit, but not a lot, and who has never done a TTT before. This past Sunday was our first practice (practice more than training) on one of the local industrial park crit courses. We were about 8 miles into the session, riding at a moderate pace. Todd was leading James, our new guy, was second, Greg was third, and I was fourth as we entered turn 4. James stood up coming out of the corner to try to close a gap that opened up and he hit a Bott's Dot and went down. Greg and I were in the aero bars. Greg hit James (or his bike) and I swerved to miss Greg.

Greg has two fractures in his scapula and a separated shoulder. James broke his clavicle into two pieces.

Crashing in races is bad. For me, crashing during training rides is worse.

Todd and I are thinking we need to find two women to do a mixed TTT instead of our planned Men 220+ team. (Just in case you are unfamiliar, 220 is the combined age of all teammates -- average 55 years-old.) No age group for mixed, team has to be two women and two men.

Heathpack is interested. I will be at the velodrome on Thursday to see if I can find another woman who wants to try this.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 04-27-16, 07:44 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch. Best to your friends.
Old 04-27-16, 08:25 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@Cleave, hope your friends are feeling better soon.

I think I'm going to bow out. It would be fun but looking at logistics, there's no way I could sail over to Catalina Friday as planned & get to Lake Los Angeles by 7am Sat. So I'd have to let everybody sail over without me and then take the ferry over Sat pm. So I'd miss half the trip. We have friends coming from New Orleans for that weekend, and I really don't want to miss half the time we have to spend together.

Too bad @sarals cannot come pick me up with her helicopter- that would make it work.

If you guys get desperate, I'm willing to revisit logistics. But for now, Id say it's best to see who else is interested.
Old 04-27-16, 08:40 AM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow cleave that sucks. Good job avoiding the crash.
Old 04-27-16, 08:47 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Today was an interesting workout for me: a one-hour threshold interval followed by 10 min "flat out". This was a logistical conundrum- figure out a stretch of road where you can ride for 70 min continuously starting at 4:45am, not hit a light or stop sign, not get creamed by a commuter, not too dark (because my TT lighting is not as good as my road bike's), ok to ride solo as a woman in the dark, and with good cell reception in case there's a need. Took me a while to figure something out and I settled on a course that had 12 turns. I even had to consult my route-planning guru, lol, who at one point said "70 minutes is a long interval". Tell me about it.

Anyway, it went well, didn't seem that hard. I missed the 100% by a bit and I figure I lost maybe 3 watts off my average with the 12 turns, factoring that in, I'm going to call it 98%. You might ask: if it didn't seem so hard, why did I miss my target at all? Good question, I don't know. Laziness perhaps.

The "flat out" interval worked out to be 107%, that could have been harder too, I was strugling to breathe but not dizzy or nauseous and I did not max out my HR.

Still it was a respectable workout and an interesting thing to do. I was thinking afterward how different it feels to ride at threshold after spending so much time over threshold of late. By comparison, threshold now feels like a comfortable place to be, comparatively speaking.

Last edited by Heathpack; 04-27-16 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-27-16, 08:52 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Oh yeah, and I hit mile 2000 on the TT bike this morning. I love that bike. Totally glad I got it.
Old 04-27-16, 09:20 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11400 Post(s)
Liked 4,749 Times in 2,764 Posts
Holy crap, Cleave. I'm sorry to hear this. It's good you survived, and good thoughts for the those that are injured.
Old 04-27-16, 11:16 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Holy carp @Cleave. Well wishes to your friends.
Old 04-27-16, 11:54 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
@Cleave I saw that on Facebook. Glad you dodged the bullet. Good luck.
Old 04-27-16, 12:31 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Way to stay upright Cleave.

Can't figure out why SoCal schedule the state TTT on top of Nats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.