Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replacement of the Garmin edge 1000

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Replacement of the Garmin edge 1000

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 10:52 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I have a 2010 Edge 800, which works fine plugged into an external battery. I use a charging cable. They don't have the data wires in them, just the charging wires. I've been doing this for so long I don't remember if regular USB cables work or not. I put the external battery pack in my little toptube bag.
Old 07-18-17, 12:05 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I have a 2010 Edge 800, which works fine plugged into an external battery. I use a charging cable. They don't have the data wires in them, just the charging wires. I've been doing this for so long I don't remember if regular USB cables work or not. I put the external battery pack in my little toptube bag.
Normal USB cables work just fine (I don't own any charging only cables).
Old 07-18-17, 12:40 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I waited a long time for the Edge 1000 replacement. I gave up and went with an 820 and I'm glad I did. It has all the features of the 1000 (and then some) and it offers a much smaller footprint. Plus, the charge port is even more accessible for my auxiliary battery.

I'm probably returning my 820.

Advertised 15 hour battery life is only possible in battery save mode which turns the screen off.
I didn't buy a $400 GPS to ride around with the screen off.

4.5 hours is the actual runtime if you need to monitor effort throughout the ride.

-Tim-
Old 07-18-17, 01:15 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm probably returning my 820.

Advertised 15 hour battery life is only possible in battery save mode which turns the screen off.
I didn't buy a $400 GPS to ride around with the screen off.

4.5 hours is the actual runtime if you need to monitor effort throughout the ride.

-Tim-
I read that earlier in the thread, Tim. My experience is very different than that. In automatic brightness mode (display light always on) with HR, power meter, and phone all connected, and with 1s sampling, I still have about 30% battery life left at the end of a 5- or 6-hour ride. I did one 8-hour ride without auxiliary battery and still had power at the end of the day. I do between three and six 5-hour rides every month. If I didn't get enough battery life from my 820 to easily cover 5 hours, I wouldn't be happy.

I wonder if you got a bad battery.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 07-18-17 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 01:24 PM
wallrat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 520 and just did a 12 hour day. I turned brightness to 0% and it lasted the entire time. I think I ended the day with a 5% charge. I was constantly scrolling the screen, partially out of boredom, but also to check the elevation and map. It lasted longer than I expected.
Old 07-18-17, 05:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Man, I was just looking at the Fenix 5 for my wife...she was talking about the apple watch but I think something like the Fenix might work better for her.

honestly, if I were to do it again I would get something like the Fenix provided the GPS accuracy was alright when mountain biking under tree cover. The edge 1000 seems good for that, the 500 wasn't that great.
Here's a picture of mine from a trail run last month. I'd never been on most of the section of trail I ran. Didn't have cell reception for 50+ miles before I got here.

If I'm in the drops or on the hoods, I can kind of roll my wrist enough to see the watch. It's mostly doing hill repeats where I want a constant eye on my power output that I miss using an Edge.

It nailed this and every trail junction, the creek crossings, etc.
Old 07-19-17, 02:20 AM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Not sure why you are keeping the model of your Edge such a secret.

The ancient 800 charges just fine with general cables and general chargers.

I believe that early firmware on the 800 prevented the charging.
No secret. It's a 500. Per my earlier post, I bought it in 2014, when the 520 was being introduced. Per multiple posts in this forum the 520 had multiple software glitches. My mistake - I believed those posts, and bought the older model.

Originally Posted by xodondum
if you stop to replace the batteries doesn't that kill the route? so you need to reprogram?
Good question - and fortunately, the answer is no. The eTrex keeps the route.

I've used it on several 24-hour rides, and when the AAs died, I simply replaced them - and the eTrex kept on working as if there was no interruption. It's inconvenient, but it works.

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Really? I used my Garmin Edge 1000 with an external battery for the 2015 Dirty Kanza 200 -- 18+ hours worth -- and it worked great. Still had charge left to spare.
Originally Posted by bonz50
non-standard wiring?? I've always used standard USB->mini-USB cables and they have always worked perfect. I've never tried an external battery but the wiring shouldn't be any different. sounds like another issue I'd be lookin at
From what I've read so far, it seems that perhaps just the 500 has non-standard USB wiring. See this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dista...ong-rides.html

The 500 definitely does not continue to work while it's being charged with a normal mini-USB cable. I tried it. It simply changes over to "Charging" mode, and does not record while in that mode. Per my reading it was supposed to work with some cross-over wiring, and the Gomadic I bought was supposed to address the problem. Sadly, my Gomadic did not work - and I was not able to record the last 40 miles of a 300 mile race.

So back to my original question, and (to some extent) the original poster's question: How long would the battery last on a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt? (Perhaps that's a question for a different thread?)
Old 07-19-17, 06:30 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
No secret. It's a 500. Per my earlier post, I bought it in 2014, when the 520 was being introduced. Per multiple posts in this forum the 520 had multiple software glitches. My mistake - I believed those posts, and bought the older model.
You didn't mention the model and implied that the charging issue was general to all Edges.

The 520 was announced 7/2015 (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/...-edge-520.html).
The 510 was announced 1/2013 (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/...th-review.html).
Old 07-19-17, 12:50 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I retuned the 520 and got the 510 for the touchscreen, which I love. I get 12-14 hours out of it. I am looking at the 820 and 1000 though will wait till I see what Garmin comes out with in the next cycle. It has to at least go 8 hours for me to switch.