Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2018 Best Car for Bike Owners Megathread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2018 Best Car for Bike Owners Megathread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 05:27 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Lexus GX/ Toyota 4Runner
Old 02-01-18, 07:31 PM
Adonis72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The best car for a bike is a truck.
Old 02-01-18, 07:56 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I have a Mazda 5. Underpowered, but still fun to drive. I can put 1 56>, maybe 2 in the back without folding seats or removing wheels. Fold the rear seats and maybe 5 laying them down. With seats folded it will carry 4×6 sheets of plywood. I also have a Chevy Express 3500 extended frame van. 12 feet between the back door and the front safety cage. Open the cage door and you can haul 16ft boards or siding. Only seats 2 though.
Old 02-01-18, 09:29 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
While I disagree on the hassle of removing a thru axle wheel (I find it nearly as fast as a quick release, other than needing to first locate an appropriate hex key for my flush thru axles), I am curious if you manage to fit an assembled bike in the back of a Forester with the seats up. This is a HUGE deal to me because kids = car seats in the back row so even if I am not hauling the kids I need to deal with those seats. Removing and reinstalling those is far more hassle than even taking both wheels off a bike.
There must be a full-size SUV that can do that. Maybe a Yukon?

Got the same problem myself.

Dave
Old 02-01-18, 09:55 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
The best car for bike owners is not a car, but a small van.
Anything which requires pulling your bike apart is not ideal.
I know it only takes a moment to pull off a wheel or two, put in wheel bag etc, but this shouldn't be required for "the best car".
Laying a bike down is sort of ok if you only have one bike to carry, but two and you start looking for blankets, padding etc. Which also disqualifies it from "best car".
I have a Renault Kangoo which is extremely ugly and far from being the ultimate drive.
But because I can put my bike in complete and upright it is always my first choice (I have other cars and a stationwagon) for when I need to transport my bike.
Old 02-01-18, 11:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
While I disagree on the hassle of removing a thru axle wheel (I find it nearly as fast as a quick release, other than needing to first locate an appropriate hex key for my flush thru axles), I am curious if you manage to fit an assembled bike in the back of a Forester with the seats up. This is a HUGE deal to me because kids = car seats in the back row so even if I am not hauling the kids I need to deal with those seats. Removing and reinstalling those is far more hassle than even taking both wheels off a bike.
It is a 2015 Forester XT Touring Edition and I fold the seats down to carry a bike. I've never tried carrying a bike with the seats up but don't think I would want to try.

Understood and agree about car seats. I don't miss that, though having a daughter at a top 10 engineering school has its own set of challenges. It would be easier to bleed hydraulic brakes than deal with car seats.

For the record and just cause I love this pic... It is small compared to most SUV's.

Cohutta Mountains, North Georgia, on the way to ride gravel.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-01-18 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-01-18, 11:36 PM
timsmcm

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anything Subaru. I'm partial to the outback. So comfortable on long trips with great gas mileage. But also that thing will go off road like nobodys business. All wheel drive puts you at some places I like riding at but can't get to in 2 wheel drive.
Old 02-02-18, 10:25 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Full size pick up. Fits the bike without removing ANY thing from said bike plus all the camping gear for the trip if necessary.
Jon
Old 02-02-18, 10:36 AM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree on the pickups. Haul three car seats in the back of my F150, and all the cargo I need in the bed. I don't think you can beat that versatility, unless you are live in urban areas where driving a pickup is a hassle.
Old 02-02-18, 10:59 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
My 2002 Ford Escape - the smallest vehicle I could find that could hold the bike, inside, upright. I attached a fork mount to the spare wheel cover.
Old 02-02-18, 11:01 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Originally Posted by Jon T
Full size pick up. Fits the bike without removing ANY thing from said bike plus all the camping gear for the trip if necessary.
Jon
I'd still prefer a fork mount, and honestly when I was racing I didn't want my bicycle and other stuff on the outside of the vehicle.

In addition (only applies to some of us, but applies to me), a pickup is too big. Other places parking lots are created with girth for plus-sized pickups.
Old 02-02-18, 02:12 PM
Jon T

Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
I'd still prefer a fork mount, and honestly when I was racing I didn't want my bicycle and other stuff on the outside of the vehicle.

In addition (only applies to some of us, but applies to me), a pickup is too big. Other places parking lots are created with girth for plus-sized pickups.
Inside the bed isn't on the outside of the vehicle. I use the Topline ug2500 bike rack inside the bed. No disassembly required and it doesn't slide around. If I need to lock it I run a cable thru the tie down rings in the truck bed.
Jon
Old 02-02-18, 11:05 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'll start. Honda Element. Hands down. Seats fold up to the side. French doors open wide. Fits a full size Thermarest sleeping pad for camping out at Gravel races. They are in high demand and price is commensurate. My neighbor refers to hers as "my not for sale Honda Element."
Meh- the Element looks like the box it came in.

I'd rather go for a more upscale SUV ... I'd get both the utility for cycling and the comfort I want for day to day driving.
Old 02-03-18, 03:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,759 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
My truck will carry just about anything, including a bike in the back. And 5975 pounds more.
Thumbs up for the Bigfoot- there's a guy who knows his fiberglass RVs!
Old 02-03-18, 07:28 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Originally Posted by Jon T
Inside the bed isn't on the outside of the vehicle.
Tell that to the rain and the guy walking down the street when you stopped into the gas station, etc.
Old 02-03-18, 09:05 PM
Jon T

Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
Tell that to the rain and the guy walking down the street when you stopped into the gas station, etc.
I don't take my toys out in the rain and I pay at the pump. Nice try though.
Jon
Old 02-03-18, 09:41 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dean V
The best car for bike owners is not a car, but a small van.
Anything which requires pulling your bike apart is not ideal.
I know it only takes a moment to pull off a wheel or two, put in wheel bag etc, but this shouldn't be required for "the best car".
Laying a bike down is sort of ok if you only have one bike to carry, but two and you start looking for blankets, padding etc. Which also disqualifies it from "best car".
I have a Renault Kangoo which is extremely ugly and far from being the ultimate drive.
But because I can put my bike in complete and upright it is always my first choice (I have other cars and a stationwagon) for when I need to transport my bike.
Don't try to evade the question!
You're assuming that the bike owner would be satisfied with something other than a car, or at least that bike owners would have more than one vehicle at their disposal to meet their varying needs.
Clearly the most convenient vehicle to transport a cyclist and bike(s) is a high-roof Sprinter or the like. But that's not a car, and it's far from an ideal vehicle for bike owners to be driving around pretty much any other time - i.e., most of the time, when they don't need to be accompanied by a ride-able bike.
For some - especially those with more than one vehicle at their disposal - taking wheels off is a "deal breaker." OK, but like you say, they can't have a car then.
For me, and I suspect for a lot of others who would own only one vehicle, namely a proper car, being ugly and generally oversized is the "deal breaker," and taking the wheels off the bike is the right thing to do.