Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Long Distance Cyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ Long Distance Cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 07:37 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
In case some have not seen this ..... Posted by Machka 3/24 .....

Rowan and I will not be cycling this weekend.

I explain why here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/20242446-post11602.html
OMG ... I'm just reading this. I'm so sorry!

Hoping for a complete and quick recovery. His conditioning should be a factor in his favor.

Old 03-29-18, 08:35 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biker395

Hoping for a complete and quick recovery. His conditioning should be a factor in his favor.
I just saw this as well. as others have said, prayers for his complete recovery
Old 03-31-18, 06:31 PM
Crewchief911

Bikes: Cannondale SR400

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was riding 40-60 miles on Saturdays,and Sundays until this year. Every year I ride my "birthday", 68 the first year, 69, then 70, 71, and this year 72 (+ a few getting back to my car). First chance I get, now that the weather is warming up, I'm looking to do my first century. Don't know why I've waited this long to do one...
Old 03-31-18, 08:03 PM
dicktill

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Rowan update: Progress is slow ... he's not ready to wake yet.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. They are much appreciated!

All the best to both of you!
Old 04-02-18, 05:43 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sorry that I just now saw this thread. I've done a fair number of randonees and ultra-distance events, and belong to both RUSA and the UMCA (or as it's now called ... WUCA).

In addition, I'm the event director for an ultra distance event here in Maryland, in which all proceeds go to a charity that helps homelesss schoolkids. We have:

* * 3-hour challenge - i.e. how many miles can you ride in 3 hours
Mason Dixon 3-Hour - Maryland Endurance Challenge

* * 6-hour challenge - i.e. how many miles can you ride in 6 hours - which is on the UMCA/WUCA calendar
Free-State 6-Hour - Maryland Endurance Challenge

* * 12-hour challenge - i.e. how many miles can you ride in 12 hours. This is actually the World UltraCycling Assocition's (WUCA's) National Championship 12-Hour Race - though probably 70% of the riders will just ride it as a fun endurance ride rather than competing for national glory.
National 12-Hour Championship Race - Maryland Endurance Challenge

Interestingly - at last year's event, we gave away pretty good prizes to the top 3 finishers in all 3 races, men and women. The donor for those prizes was Monton Sportswear - who contacted me here, on www.bikeforums.net!
Old 04-02-18, 05:47 PM
DGlenday

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I haven't read all posts on this thread yet - will do so tonight - so this topic may have already been covered.

Several years ago, I did the Michigan National 24-Hour Challenge. (It turned out to be a 19.5 hour challenge, because the course was closed for some time due to heavy thunderstorms.) In that 19.5 hours I did 300 miles, and was convinced I'd be on the podium in my age group.

Not even close!

The overall winner was a twenty-something. Almost all of the next 10-or-more positions were won by geezers in my age group.

interesting...
Old 04-02-18, 05:52 PM
DGlenday

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
In case some have not seen this ..... Posted by Machka 3/24 .....

Rowan and I will not be cycling this weekend.

I explain why here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/20242446-post11602.html
OMG - that will teach me to read a thread in full before posting!

Charlene, I'm so sorry to read about Rowan's accident. I'm sending many prayers and positive thoughts for a full recovery.
Old 04-04-18, 09:01 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
59 y/o. I do at least one century a year and many rides between 50 and 80 miles. Have never tried a double century. Did a double metric once.
Old 04-04-18, 09:03 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just read about Rowan. Wow. You both have my thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-04-18, 05:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395

Another OMG. If tears could help, take mine, Machka.
Old 04-05-18, 10:22 AM
Mister Blister

Bikes: Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Felt F90

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm training for a double century by my 70th birthday and I have decided to incorporate "Long Slow Distance" into my training blocks as outlined in "Maximum Overload for Cyclists" by DeVore & Wallack. Although the text of the book is more than clear on what they mean by SLOW there is nothing about what is meant by LONG. I understand, from the book, the theory on how this is good as a form of active recovery but I don't want to over do it, is 2 hours too little? Or is 4 hours too much? If anyone utilizes this form of training I would welcome your thoughts and opinions.
Old 04-05-18, 06:13 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Blister
I'm training for a double century by my 70th birthday and I have decided to incorporate "Long Slow Distance" into my training blocks as outlined in "Maximum Overload for Cyclists" by DeVore & Wallack. Although the text of the book is more than clear on what they mean by SLOW there is nothing about what is meant by LONG. I understand, from the book, the theory on how this is good as a form of active recovery but I don't want to over do it, is 2 hours too little? Or is 4 hours too much? If anyone utilizes this form of training I would welcome your thoughts and opinions.
I have never utilized a "devised form of training" for my bicycling endeavors. Today was 50 miles at a slow pace in 3:16 due to wind and still tired from Tuesday's ride that was a faster pace day of 103 miles in 5:43. Have the 167 mile Cross Florida ride this Sunday with group riding looking for 4:30/4:45 for first 100 miles then finish up next 67 miles at slower pace in 3:45+/-. I just go out and ride how I feel for what ever distance I feel like. If you are interested in minimum time/maximum speed then a coach might be advisable in addition to research.

IMO, 2 hours is too little and 4 hours is not enough continual saddle time for a double in a day. BUT THEN what do I know ....

Good LUCK
Old 04-07-18, 08:49 AM
Mister Blister

Bikes: Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Felt F90

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, OldTryGuy, for the response. One problem with doing LSD training, at least for me, is Cardio Creep. As The ride progresses and my HR creeps up ever so slightly over time, I need to reduce my velocity to stay inside that 7 BPM margin, After several minutes more my speed gets down to 8 or 9 MPH. Presumably after a few more hours speed is reduced to the point where I'm doing a track stand. Seems to be ok for a shorted recovery ride but impractical as a longer training ride.
Old 04-07-18, 09:08 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@Mister Blister - 7 bpm is an unusually small spread for an endurance ride. Mine are usually around 115-145 bpm, and I only hit the higher end when it’s hot and I’m skimping on hydration. Cardiac creep is real, but it shouldn’t effect you that much.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-07-18, 10:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Blister
I'm training for a double century by my 70th birthday and I have decided to incorporate "Long Slow Distance" into my training blocks as outlined in "Maximum Overloadfor Cyclists" by DeVore & Wallack.

Although the text of the book is more than clear on what they meanby SLOW there is nothing about what is meant by LONG. I understand, from the book, the theory on how this is good as a form of active recovery but I don't want to over do it, is 2 hours too little? Or is 4 hours too much?

If anyone utilizes this form of training I would welcome your thoughts and opinions.
I have never utilized a "devised form of training" for my bicycling endeavors. Today was 50 miles at a slow pace in 3:16 due to wind and still tired from Tuesday's ride that was a faster pace day of 103 miles in 5:43

I just go out and ride how I feel for what ever distance I feel like. If you are interested in minimum time/maximum speed then a coach might be advisable in addition to research.

IMO, 2 hours is too little and 4 hours is not enough continual saddle time fo ra double in a day. BUT THEN what do I know ....

Good LUCK
Originally Posted by MisterBlister
Thanks, OldTryGuy, for the response. One problem with doing LSD training, at least for me, is Cardio Creep.

As The ride progresses and my HR creeps up ever so slightly over time, I need to reduce my velocity to stay inside that 7 BPM margin.

After several minutes more my speed gets down to 8 or 9 MPH. Presumably after a few more hours speed is reduced to the point where I'm doing a track stand. Seems to be ok for a shorted recovery ride but impractical as a longer training ride.
Originally Posted by revchuck
@Mister Blister - 7 bpm is an unusually small spread for an endurance ride. Mine are usually around 115-145 bpm, and I only hit the higher end when it’s hot and I’m skimping on hydration.
Originally Posted by revchuck
]@Mister Blister - 7 bpm is an unusually small spread for an endurance ride. Mine are usually around 115-145 bpm, and I only hit the higher end when it’s hot and I’m skimping on hydration.

Cardiac creep is real, but it shouldn’t effect you that much.
@Mister Blister, I’m not sure what your “7 BPM margin" is; it seems pretty precise considering the variation in heart rate with exertion, as described by @revchuck.

When I’m considering a century ride, my training is via daily commuting with a long Saturday ride following a 10-week schedule (link) based on mileage, that was published years ago in Bicycling Magazine.

To guide my intensity of riding, I have devised a personal form of training, based on Relative Perceived Exertion:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m a 40+ year cyclist and I ride mainly for fitness. During nearly all of my 40 cycling years, my training has been by mileage.

This year though, I decided to go for speed (intensity), and I use the semi-quantitative,standardized, but personally relavant system of (Borg’s) Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE), [link] with my own particular adaptation…. I use cadence to chose gears to maintain my desired exertion.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The RPE scale ranges from 6 to 17, with descriptions of the intensity. Multiply the RPE by 10 is the approximate heart rate. Jim's scale is the equivalent on a 0 to 100 scale, easier to think about:

RPE = 6, resting... Jim's scale = 10 to 20%

RPE = 7, very, very light... Jim's scale = 20 to 30%

RPE = 9, very light... Jim's scale = 30 to 40%

11, fairly light...50% (my usual happy-go-lucky pace without thinking about it)

13, somewhat hard...60% (I have to focus to maintain)

15, hard...70% (I start breathing hard at about 30 seconds)

17, very hard (lactate threshold; breakpoint between hard but steady
breathing and labored with gasping)...80% (my predicted max HR)

19, very, very hard...90 to 100%.
My basic training is to ride at my RPE of 50% for six miles to warm up, then cruise at an RPE of 60%, and do intervals (on hills) at 70%.

I try to change gears to maintain a cadence of about 85-90 rpm on flats and rolling hills, and about 60 to 80 rpm on harder hills, to maintain my RPE. Shift up to higher gears as the cadence rises, and shift down as the RPE increases.
FWIW.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-07-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-08-18, 05:47 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Just seen this thread - I don't often look at 50+.
I'm 66, like long distance cycling, try to ride at least 1000kms a month. I do about 3 metric centuries a month, and 1 imperial every 2 months. Many 200kms also, one 270kms race on dirt roads; my longest was 365kms in 14hrs (with the help of a strong tailwind...).