Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why Do Rich People Love Endurance Sports?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why Do Rich People Love Endurance Sports?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 10:03 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
I never thought that cycling was an endurance sport, or a sport at all. For me it is a recreational activity. When I go out for a 20 mile ride, I'm not enduring anything nor am I in a competition. Racing is a sport, and long distance racing is an endurance sport, but not simply cycling for pleasure. As for what rich people, whatever "rich" means here, I haven't noticed that extremely wealthy people have any special interest in endurance activities.
I guess it depends on the context -- and your perspective?
Old 04-25-19, 10:28 AM
InOmaha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
So, to be "successful" I have to work long hours, treat social activities as "business networking opportunities," and stop mowing my own lawn.

I guess I'm happy being less-than-successful, and not being a stressed-out, overworked d*****bag.
That's great. Not everyone can do it. And we still need someone to mow the grass and clean the toilets.

To be highly successful you may or may not need to work harder and integrate more business into your personal lifestyle. But your chances of being successful go way up when you do. I spent 4 years working without a day off. Not a single day in 4 years that I didn't log in at least 2 hours on the project and I was on call 24 hours a day for that entire duration. It was still easier then doing something like opening a small business like my brother.

I got up every weekday at 4:30 am to ride my bike 22 miles before getting ready and starting work by 6:30am for my 9 to 10 hour workday. On weekends, vacations, or holidays, I got up, worked 2 hours, and made everyone breakfast. The trade off was a flexible schedule that allowed me to be a part of my children's lives and activities. After their activities and homework, I skipped TV at night and worked some more if I needed.

My wife reads books and I research and learn things on the internet that interest me, fix things, do my own gardening, and build things in my shop. Bikes, cars, cameras, guns, welding, fixing, landscaping, gardening, etc. Since I waste a lot of time on those sort of activities, I'm not as successful as the people in my neighborhood that pay others to do things for them and spend time/money on networking activities like golf or charity events. It's a simple fact, and there is no reason for me to feel anything negative towards other people for doing things differently. It's my choice. However, I only got this job because of networking as it was never posted; so I did manage to teach myself enough of that skill over time to benefit from it.

I grew up on a farm and working sunrise to sunset, with no such thing as a weekend, vacation, or holiday was normal for me. Animals don't know it's Saturday or care if it's Christmas. That's also why I have a shop, tinker, and get my hands dirty.

The nice thing about riding at 5am are the sunrises and limited traffic on MUPs and roads.

The same thing that made me get up and ride alone for 150 miles a week, is the same thing that makes me work long hours for promotions and bonuses.

Last edited by InOmaha; 04-25-19 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-25-19, 10:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha
That's great. Not everyone can do it. And we still need someone to mow the grass and clean the toilets.

To be highly successful you may or may not need to work harder and integrate more business into your personal lifestyle. But your chances of being successful go way up when you do.
You're misunderstanding me, and perhaps I wasn't clear. You and I have different definitions of "success."

I don't measure my success and happiness through my career advancement, earnings, or such things. The rat race holds little appeal for me; after all, even if you win it, you're still a rat.
Old 04-25-19, 05:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You don't have to be a white collar worker or be super wealthy to do endurance training and to participate in endurance events. It's not that expensive.
Old 04-25-19, 07:57 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You don't have to be a white collar worker or be super wealthy to do endurance training and to participate in endurance events. It's not that expensive.
But that's just the point, isn't it?

That might be true from your perspective. But for others, every dollar counts. And although you might feel its necessary, others may have obligations and family that may disagree or see it as an indulgence, selfishness, or worse, a total waste of valuable resources.

Now we're back where we started: wealthy people (or just people with more liquid income) don't have these issues.

As to the subject of success. I measure it as have a goal and achieving that goal. If your goal is to run a marathon, you don't need to win the race, just cross the finish line and you will have been successful.
Old 04-26-19, 02:53 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Go run the Cedro Peak 45 miler in Tijeras NM, there is a tequila shot table 1 mike from the finish line. The Durango Double trail section has free beer at the mid point as well as 2 beers waiting at the finish line. Don’t know of any cycling like that...but when I find it I will be there.
do it in a country or state where cannabis is legal have stops every 10 miles for a beer, a shot, or a joint? that would be an interesting century lol
also i bet nascar crowd would be more interested.

Last edited by phile; 04-26-19 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 10:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I have news for the author of that article...

$75,000/year household income isn't rich.

Neither is $126,000/year.

-Tim-
75K household income is in the top 40%
126K household income is in the top 20%

Sure, not everyone will consider being in the top 20% to be rich, i would think that anyone with perspective could recognize that a household in the top 20% within one of the wealthiest countries in the world is quite well off. Quite well off. Focusing on $126 household income not qualifying as 'rich' seems to miss the point a bit.
Old 04-29-19, 11:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by aclinjury
in addition to everything said in here, rich middle-aged men also tend to avoid the "stick and ball" sports because these sports usually require:
1. skills
2. getting physical contact
3. having to compete younger and more aggressive guys

The middle-aged men like to play something that requires a lot of solitary practices but with little skills. Basically it's partly a "feel good" competition. That's why they give out "finisher medals".
perhaps they avoid 'stick and ball' sports in middle-age because their bodies dont allow for it as much. See your #2 and #3 , but not #1 . I would definitely disagree with your generalization that they like to play things with little skill.
Also- there are over 40 leagues for softball, soccer, basketball, etc. That removes your #3 and levels out #2 so its moot.

And when did determination/effort/discipline stop being a skill? Solitary practices like triathlons, endurance cycling, etc are all based on discipline for training, effort, and determination.

I played competitive baseball all thru my childhood in addition to other travel sports too. I used to play competitive softball(the epitome of your 'stick and ball' comment) as a younger adult and gave it up because it simply wasnt interesting any longer. What I saw though was in general, the conditioning of the average competitive softball player is laughable compared to the average triathlete or endurance cyclist. Adult softball, even at competitive levels, requires very little skill. It requires hand-eye coordination and little more.
Old 04-29-19, 02:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I always thought that things like golf, polo,sailing, horse riding are a rich men's sport, while cycling and other endurance events are poor men's sport.
Admittedly I dont know a lot of triathletes(people who actually do multiple events over multiple years), but of the dozen or so that I have met or do know- nobody is hurting financially.

Why cant all the activities you list as well as cycling and endurance be viewed as activities enjoyed by financially secure(rich included) people?
Old 04-30-19, 10:40 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Very rich and wealthy people don't ride bicycles and they don't like anything that involves physical effort.
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Golf?
Exactly.