Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

650b x 30 tube help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

650b x 30 tube help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 11:33 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
650b x 30 tube help

My wife's Canyon bike came with Reynolds 650 b rims and 30mm Sahwalble tires. Never thought much of it until yesterday when she had a flat and I'm trying to find a replacement tube. Seems all the shops around here in North Central Fl only have MTN tubes or skinny road ones up to 20mm. I tried one of those but blew in short order. The MTN ones seem to be too big for the tires. Here's what the bike came with Schalble no 12G extra light tubes with the following markings 29/44-589/590. Any ideas of a tube size I can use or where I might find the correct ones? Thanks
Old 12-29-19, 11:45 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
Find a local shop that has a Quality Bicycle Parts account and ask them to order part #TU0500 , a Zipp 584x25 PV tube. This is the closest I find quickly. Doesn't Schwalbe offer a tube? You might have to go to overseas. Andy
Old 12-29-19, 11:49 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Find a local shop that has a Quality Bicycle Parts account and ask them to order part #TU0500 , a Zipp 584x25 PV tube. This is the closest I find quickly. Doesn't Schwalbe offer a tube? You might have to go to overseas. Andy
Can't find the correct one listed on the Schwalbe USA site. Your correct I might need to go overseas. I do have a message into Schwalbe hope to hear back next week. The other problem is the valve stem needs to be at 48mm to clear the areo rim. I'll check out the Zipp tube most fo the shops are closed around here until Tues. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-29-19, 01:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

The Zipp Tangente butyl tubes are designed to meet the needs of a new era of road riding that includes adventures aboard wider tires. The tube’s 0.60mm thickness is optimized for durability.
37mm valve stem length
Lightweight aluminum valve body with removable Presta valve core
For use with Zipp Tangente Aluminum Knurled Valve Extender
0.60mm thick to optimize durability
When installing Zipp Tangente tubes (37mm valve stem) on Zipp wheels, the following valve extender is recommended: PU9911, 27mm (1 gram) for 303 model wheels
PU9912, 41mm (2 g.) for 404 models
PU9913, 65mm (4 g.) for 808 models
PU9914, 91mm (6 g.) for 1080 models
Weight: 90g

As copied from the QBP site.

So was this bike a US market one? if so then then the company has some obligation to keep their customers riding WRT the #1 problem bikes get, a flat tire. If the tube size was a common one then the rest of the industry will cover this need. If not a common one then the company might want to consider what their customers will be left with after their inevitable flat. Andy
Old 12-29-19, 02:08 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
My wife's Canyon bike came with Reynolds 650 b rims and 30mm Sahwalble tires. Never thought much of it until yesterday when she had a flat and I'm trying to find a replacement tube. Seems all the shops around here in North Central Fl only have MTN tubes or skinny road ones up to 20mm. I tried one of those but blew in short order. The MTN ones seem to be too big for the tires. Here's what the bike came with Schalble no 12G extra light tubes with the following markings 29/44-589/590. Any ideas of a tube size I can use or where I might find the correct ones? Thanks
Not sure where you are north central FL but.... If you are near Bunnell FL, try the Bicycle Doctor on US 1, here is their website, note they are closed on Mondays so give them a call on Tuesday. Tell him Joe The Bike Man sent you. Tony (the owner) is a great guy

https://yourbicycledoctor.com/

Not familiar with those rims, is that a Presta or SCHRADER valve?

here is one I found on ebay 650 x 28/32c with a presta 48mm valve https://www.ebay.com/itm/PANARACER-B...QXrvB-4tMfXXAw

Last edited by JoeTBM; 12-29-19 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added info on tube from ebay
Old 12-29-19, 08:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

I agree with Joe that a 650c (ISO 571) will likely work. Andy
Old 12-30-19, 03:45 AM
DowneasTTer

Thanks for all you guys help. Should be able to find a shop open here in the Ocala area today. Then try out something. It's was kinda of a bummer yesterday pm as the weather was SO perfect for a ride here on the Withlacoochee. Sunny and in the 70's..... Ah the joy of living in FL this time of year. Again thanks for the responses.
Old 12-30-19, 08:07 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
If you are in Ocala, there are several bike shops in Gainesville that aren't that far from you and might be worth calling. Be aware that the 650B wheel is also known as 27.5" and they may recognize them by that name.