Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

The option to delete a thread is gone?

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 06-12-20, 09:26 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 196 Posts

Has anyone else noticed this? Must be a recent change. And a ridiculous one at that.
Old 06-15-20, 09:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Might depend on who you are.
Private site, arbitrary by definition.
Old 06-15-20, 09:17 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 924 Posts
Wish someone would delete this thread.
Old 06-15-20, 09:32 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
What can you do when your dreams come true, and it's not quite like you planned? What have you done to be losing the one you held it so tight in your hand, well... Time passes and you must move on. Half the distance takes you twice as long. So you keep on singing for the sake of the song. After the thread is gone. After the thread is gone.

Old 06-15-20, 09:54 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
The delete button is in the infinite loop of the seller's un-unsealable box and can never be recovered without imminent implosion of the logarithmic marzelvanes protecting the Federation-Klingon Neutral Zone.

-Kurt

Old 06-15-20, 10:15 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 349 Posts
Oh. Now I know.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 06-15-20 at 10:38 PM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 06-16-20, 06:16 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
I don't recall that anyone other than a moderator could delete a thread.
Old 06-16-20, 06:19 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Previously as long as you started a thread you could also delete it.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 06-16-20, 06:20 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
Previously as long as you started a thread you could also delete it.
Even after someone else had posted in it?
Old 06-16-20, 06:21 AM
Wileyone 

Even after someone else had posted in it?
Yep.
Old 06-16-20, 06:24 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to User Assistance.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-16-20, 06:37 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts
It's the cognate to Google, by default, keeping every piece of email you ever sent or received through them, even after you delete it -- and including it in the "storage" of that account.

For several years I've subscribed to both the BOB and 650B group mailing lists. Eventually they had to migrate to Google Groups after Yahoo terminated that aspect of their business (I even remember when it was a Usenet-based thing). I handled this through a Gmail account, filtering it all into an "On My Mac" mailbox for reading, and then throwing it all away when I'd gone through the most recent posts -- or so I believed. I noticed that the Archive folder in IMAP for that account were getting alarmingly large, and realized that Google had been keeping all the BOB-like mail messages, notwithstanding my deletion of them -- my non-paid Google storage was just about exhausted. So I sat down to try to delete the stuff, which had grown to about 100,000 emails between the two lists. If I deleted it from the Archive (which is where Google keeps "all mail", and to which I had paid about zero attention in the past), then it just went to Trash, which had to be emptied again to really get rid of it. Normally, deleting a whole raft of email in Apple Mail takes only a moment -- but this seemed to be going on for hours -- and I realized that it was simply crashing Mail. Eventually, I found a "fix" for this online -- Gmail settings that will (apparently, at least from the user/account point of view) erase them following the mail client's lead. But it was sobering to realize that "delete" or "trash" does not mean "erase" to Google; it's just another "label" (which is Google's version of a "folder" -- they don't really have folders, so you can't just delete a folder with all its contents.

Nothing you ever did on the internet ever goes away (despite the difficulty of finding it again when you want to), and it seems that our (or Big Brother's) propensity for keeping every piece of crap has no practical limitation, in terms of data storage.
Old 06-16-20, 06:39 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Ah, see what I mean? Big Brother has moved to contain dissent and deflect user knowledge of what's really going on behind the curtain.
Old 06-16-20, 06:46 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Well, it was handy so I could correct glaring typos in thread titles. Simply delete and repost.

As a paying member, you can still delete replies to posts.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 06-16-20, 07:01 AM
Wileyone 

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Why was this option dropped?
Old 06-16-20, 07:47 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
I'm just a moderator here. Asking in the C&V forum is not where this kind of post should be made so I moved the thread to the proper place.

Those decisions, if this really is the case, are made by the corporate Admin Staff. Maybe IBJoel can shed some light here.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-16-20, 08:06 AM
Wileyone 

Personally I think it should be reinstated.

A paid member should have the right to remove his or her posts/threads as they see fit.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 06-16-20, 08:31 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
So we ran into the problem of users mass-deleting their own threads. This can cause database issues, infringes on the replies in the thread, and can delete useful information (as BikeForums should be doing), so should not have been enabled in the first place. It essentially grants mod powers to non-mods. However, the ability to edit your own posts should remain and it's easy to ask a mod or myself for a quick title fix.
Likes For IBJoel:
Old 06-16-20, 08:42 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by IBJoel
So we ran into the problem of users mass-deleting their own threads. This can cause database issues, infringes on the replies in the thread, and can delete useful information (as BikeForums should be doing), so should not have been enabled in the first place. It essentially grants mod powers to non-mods. ....

....*feeling overwhelming urge to post "Power To the People !!" meme. Must....resist...*
Old 06-16-20, 08:43 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
Has anyone else noticed this? Must be a recent change. And a ridiculous one at that.
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
It's the cognate to Google, by default, keeping every piece of email you ever sent or received through them, even after you delete it -- and including it in the "storage" of that account...

Nothing you ever did on the internet ever goes away (despite the difficulty of finding it again when you want to), and it seems that our (or Big Brother's) propensity for keeping every piece of crap has no practical limitation, in terms of data storage.
On a Living Car Free thread was a dust-up about deleting threads with (others') past posts.
Originally Posted by Machka
You're right, I did start a thread like that.
You're also right that you could not find it.
I deleted it.
Originally Posted by Roody
I contributed to that thread, my thoughts and ideas that I took some time to type out. How dare you delete the thread without permission of those who contributed?

I think this is outrageous. You have no right! How were you able to even do that?
Originally Posted by winston63
I've got to admit I find it very surprising that a thread starter can delete a thread…

To be honest I'm not all that comfortable with the thought that a thread starter can just delete someone's contribution at will.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So if may pose this question, What is the value or utility to you of looking up old posts/threads? I would assume that any useful information would be utilized soon after reading.

Early on after joining Bike Forums I copied and filed a few posts for their content and style, but not for years.
...you do realise that everything you post here is temporary, right? I've been here long enough for there to be several server changes during which time posts were lost. And it won't be long before this forum disappears entirely ... say, maybe, 5 years or 10 years.

If you think what you typed had some "Voice of God" like value, you should have saved a copy of it..
Comments on a forum, like life, are merely temporary. Like Rowan says ... discussions here are like those which might occur in a pub. They aren't doctoral theses.

However, if there are comments I make which I think I might use again, I save them in a file. Then I copy and paste them into threads as desired….
Originally Posted by cooker
I too am shocked that an OP can delete a thread. Sometimes I consult past threads for research I or others have previously done on some topic under discussion; and sometimes I see posts that are very well written and thought out and I would go as far as saying they are literary contributions that deserve to be archived for posterity…
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
When old posts/threads are looked up and commented on by one poster, it gives another poster on LCF an opportunity to bellyache about referencing so-called zombie threads.

Such earnest complaints are always entertaining.
˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-16-20 at 10:22 AM. Reason: addeed quote by Charles Wahl
Old 06-16-20, 08:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
˄˄˄˄

I have previously posted:
…I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist..
(from a now-closed thread) I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue..

Personally for me, as a diversion, it’s challenging to arrange the quotes, and to find them in prior threads. I think it’s a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic.
...So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic [or read another subscriber's good one], written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it.

A further challenge then becomes finding the post…
Old 06-16-20, 02:46 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Despite my diatribe above, I don't see why the initiator of a discussion should have any right to delete the thread. It seems reasonable to me that a forum participant should be able to delete their own posts, but not the entire discussion. Plus, they shouldn't be able to delete quotations from or references to their posts. It's sort of like an author selling books, and then wanting to burn all of them. Too late for that; it's out there.
Old 06-16-20, 03:36 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
As many of you may know, I maintain C&V serial number databases as an aid to decrypting serial number formats and aiding members in identifying the year and manufacturer of their bicycles. Part of those databases is a link to the original post. Once a member deletes a thread or post, it corrupts the link and all the other links and references associated with that thread. This had made it difficult to go back and find specific information for members. I'd like to see a "placeholder" to retain the location of deleted posts and threads. It would simply replace the deleted text with "Text deleted by author".
Old 06-17-20, 12:56 AM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 706 Posts
The delete option should only be made available in the sale section.

Item posted, sold, shipped, delivered, thread closed and deleted
Old 06-17-20, 03:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
That’s how I remember things. Can’t wait for an Admin. to address the question.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.