Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cleaning your drivetrain.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-23-20, 12:12 PM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

Can you use brake cleaner instead of a degreaser soap? Let it dry overnight and lube the next day?
Old 08-23-20, 01:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Sure but it will remove all the lube, even the lube inside the rollers.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-23-20, 01:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Using brake cleaner has never occurred to me.

Wd40 in tough to reach spots with grime, then let soak while prepping the rest and wash off. Spray bottle with some soapy water covering everything, then brush caked on areas and wash off. Dry the bike. Lube the chain and call it good.

It takes not even 10min and is quite simple so I haven't thought of shortcuts before.
Old 08-23-20, 01:13 PM
Univega

Originally Posted by GlennR
Sure but it will remove all the lube, even the lube inside the rollers.
But if you re-lube the next day (I have Tri-Flow) inside the rollers is where it counts. Which is why I wipe off the excess on the outside of the chain.
Old 08-23-20, 01:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
I brake parts clean the chain when I remove it from the bicycle. The BPC can negatively impact other areas if enough of a concentrated amount of the spray comes in contact with those other unwanted areas.
It works better on the chain if you wipe the chain down prior to spraying with the BPC. I've found that I use approximately 25% less of it compared to not prepping the chain with a wipe.
Old 08-23-20, 02:04 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
I use the spray cleaner from Auto Zone.
https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-p...4oz/209578_0_0

Remove chain (using quick link) about every 60-90days, fill a little cup up with the cleaner and dunk for 10min or so, then use air compressor around 40#s and dry and relube with some synthetic dry wax. Seems to work like a charm. When i have the chain off, i spray some a micro fiber and gear floss with the cleaner and wipe down the sprockets and derailleur sprockets...

Any comments on my process guys? would hate to be doing something harmful and just not know it yet...

JAG
Old 08-23-20, 02:45 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
I just throw my Roubaix up on my Park Tool stand in the driveway, fill one of my Meguiar's car wash buckets with car wash soap. Blast the drivetrain with Simple Green, scrub with nylon brush. Let it soak a bit, hose it off, wash the bike with car wash soap. I use a microfiber towel, plus a soft brush on the wheels, and a cone-shaped brush in hard to reach areas (but never brushed on the frame or fork). Blast dry with my electric leaf blower, including my stand, then a microfiber with some Griot's Garage quick detail spray on the frame, lube the chain, done.

What I've found is that no bike-specific stuff is needed, other than lube. I wash my bike every couple hundred miles. If it gets done on a regular basis, Simple Green is more than enough to get the cassette, jockey wheels, chain, etc. sparkling clean. I just make sure to spray the drivetrain first, on a dry bike, then I get my hose set up and fill my wash bucket. That gives the Simple Green a few minutes to dwell, and do its job.

Path of least resistance IMO. Use the least aggressive thing possible to get the job done. Simple Green won't hurt your paint, hubs, or the environment.

I've been detailing cars (my own, not professionally) since I was a kid, so I just use that experience and apply it to bikes. I'll even use a mild paint polish and hand-polish the frame once in a while, then apply a synthetic sealant.

I also have the mindset that a clean chain is as important as a lubed chain. This is from my sport motorcycling days, when I used to ride a Triumph Speed Triple through the mountains and canyons of SoCal. I remember seeing online 20K mile tests where sealed chains with regular lube lasted barely longer than a chain that was kept clean, but never lubed at all.

If you're going to use brake cleaner, make darn sure it's non-chlorinated.
Likes For SVTNate:
Old 08-23-20, 02:46 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Univega
But if you re-lube the next day (I have Tri-Flow) inside the rollers is where it counts. Which is why I wipe off the excess on the outside of the chain.
I take my chain off every 1000 miles or so and put it in a heated ultrasonic parts washer with some Dawn dish soap. I then rinse it off and use a air compressor to blow off most of the water. i then hang it for a day and then oil each roller one at a time.

I get about 3000 miles until it needs to be replaced.

Excessive... yes it is. But drivetrain parts are expensive and I already had everything I use.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-23-20, 02:55 PM
sirjag

Originally Posted by SVTNate

If you're going to use brake cleaner, make darn sure it's non-chlorinated.

This is a health concern or something else sir? The auto Zone stuff is non chlorinated, i actually scratched my head at that...didnt see any other bottles advertising chlorine...

JAG
Old 08-23-20, 03:07 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by sirjag
This is a health concern or something else sir? The auto Zone stuff is non chlorinated, i actually scratched my head at that...didnt see any other bottles advertising chlorine...

JAG
You can get both chlorinated and non chlorinated at most parts stores depending on your locale.
https://www.berrymanproducts.com/chl...brake-cleaner/
Old 08-23-20, 03:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
chlorinated degrades rubber faster, & bleaches plastics [size=13px]aggressively[/size].
Old 08-23-20, 03:50 PM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Chlorinated brake cleaner can also ruin painted and bake-on finishes.

Luckily, at most big auto supply chains, or Wal Mart, etc. if you randomly pick up some brake cleaner, most likely it'll be non-chlorinated.

Just make sure.
Old 08-23-20, 03:58 PM
sirjag

Thanks guys!
Old 08-23-20, 04:54 PM
Univega

Originally Posted by sirjag

JAG
Think ozone layer too.
Old 08-23-20, 06:25 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
For a final touch after cleaning my bike and drying it I spray Lemon Pledge on a rag and wipe down the frame. Nice and shiny and has a lemony smell
Likes For frogman:
Old 08-23-20, 09:58 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
For a final touch after cleaning my bike and drying it I spray Lemon Pledge on a rag and wipe down the frame. Nice and shiny and has a lemony smell
I do pretty much the same thing on my bike. Only I use Pledge multi-surface. Leaves a nice shine and smell too.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-24-20, 04:51 AM
Univega

Back to the chain and clusters..... So nobody has a real reason it can't be used, I used to use WD40 to clean, wipe dry and then add Tri-Flow the next day. Let it sit a bit and then wipe off the excess.

If not using car soap and water, detailing spray like Zaino Z-6 (https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-6.html) works good on the frame. After all, I have it for the car. Non-greasy.
Old 08-24-20, 09:30 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Brake cleaner can also mess up your paint, I wouldn't use it on my bike, maybe if the chain was off the bike, that's about it. But as another poster mentioned, I've never had issues just using Simple Green on the drivetrain. Altho, I also don't let anything get caked up on my bike, so even my deep cleans are pretty easy.
Old 08-24-20, 11:02 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I have no idea what's in brake cleaner, but would be really leery of spraying it around carbon fiber.

I just remove the chain and cassette and soak them in bike-specific degreaser for 10 minutes or so, scrub and rinse. I like the stuff from Pedro's.
The rest of the bike and drivetrain get cleaned with soapy water and a sponge. If there's a lot of grime on the derailleur pulley wheels or chain rings, I'll scrub them with a brush and then rinse everything off with a hose.

I haven't used Pledge yet, but might give that a try. My glossy finish on my bike gets smudges on it really easy, so maybe this will help.
Old 08-24-20, 11:14 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Plastic, rubber, carbon fiber, polished aluminum, paint.... I wouldn't want to learn the hard way that brake cleaner stains or etches those surfaces.

I have several tools with plastic handles that have spots on them from brake cleaner. I keep waiting for the spots to wear off but they never do. I think it etches the surface.
Old 08-24-20, 01:13 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
So, about the use of brake cleaner on bike parts; here's the Wikipedia entry on composition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_cleaner#Composition

"Chlorinated brake cleaners (often sold as non-flammable) use organochlorides like tetrachloroethylene.[2] Historically 1,1,1-Trichloroethane was used, sometimes together with Tetrachloroethylene. it was phased out due to its ozone-depleting nature.[3]Non-chlorinated brake cleaners use hydrocarbons as a main component; it will either be a low boiling aliphatic compounds or higher boiling hydrocarbon mixtures are used. aromatics like benzene, toluene or xylene may also be used.[4] The hydrocarbons used are sometimes made by hydrogenation from naphtha. The lipophilic Liquids dissolve fat-soluble lubricants or oils. Some products also contain polar solvents such as ethanol, methanol, isopropanol, and acetone in order to dissolve non-lipophilic substances. Many formulations are incompatible with various materials, especially plastics."

That last sentence would make me think carefully about how I'm using brake cleaner around a carbon fiber frame. The resins used to make the CF bikes are a type of plastic, so I would make damn sure not to contaminate my bike frame with brake cleaner. I would be especially cautious around critical areas of the frame, i.e. seat stays and chain stays. Otherwise, if you want to clean your chain with brake cleaner, go nuts with it and see what happens. You can always buy a new chain if you prematurely wear yours out.
Old 08-25-20, 07:25 PM
T.W.O.
two wheels only

Bikes: A bunch, ranging from a '60s Carlton Flyer to a 2015 S-Works Tarmac

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
If I need to do a quick chain cleaning, I'll use a Park chain cleaning tool and mineral spirits, dry the chain and lube with Boeshield T-9. More often than not though, I'll pull the chain and put it in a jar of mineral spirits and then put the jar in an ultrasonic cleaner and let it run for an hour or so. After that, wipe the chain dry and give it a second cleaning in Dawn dish soap and water, then dry and lube with Boeshield T-9. That is a bit more than most people would consider reasonable but I believe that a clean chain greatly extends the life of your drive train and new chain rings are not cheap! If the cassette cogs, chain rings and derailleur jockey wheels are looking cruddy pull them and either clean by hand or in the ultrasonic.
Likes For T.W.O.:
Old 08-25-20, 11:59 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Univega
Can you use brake cleaner instead of a degreaser soap? Let it dry overnight and lube the next day?
easiest thing to use is dish soap cheap and easy

after dish soap to completely strip the chain use lamp oil or gasoline , that will take everything off for a deep clean

last you can dry clean your bike with coconut oil or shea butter and a micro fiber rag

if you just want to clean chain the bike , a hard bristle dish brush and wd10 lube will take most of the grit and old lube off.
Old 08-26-20, 09:28 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
easiest thing to use is dish soap cheap and easy

after dish soap to completely strip the chain use lamp oil or gasoline , that will take everything off for a deep clean

last you can dry clean your bike with coconut oil or shea butter and a micro fiber rag

if you just want to clean chain the bike , a hard bristle dish brush and wd10 lube will take most of the grit and old lube off.
I have no idea why someone would use gasoline as a cleaning product. I'm sure it works great, but there are much safer and less toxic alternatives.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-26-20, 09:36 AM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mineral spirits and a park chain cleaner,paint brush on the cassette and other parts, Catch the mineral spirits and store in a container the solids will settle into the bottom of the container and clean on top but a little dis colored but fine to reuse, parts won't rust went using mineral spirits. The wife makes sure I have plenty around the house she uses it all the time for things on her shoes or just to get stickers off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.