Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is this tire safe?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is this tire safe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 04:30 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Is this tire safe?

After my ride, I was doing my usual post ride inspection of the bike and noticed this cut in the tire. I know this is super subjective and it's

super hard to tell from a pic but I wanted to see what you all thought about it. The cut is into the sidewall a bit. It's a Conti GP5000TL, no sealant came out so it didn't puncture the tire. What do you guys think?
Old 10-06-20, 04:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
If the tire itself is not bulging at the cut when the tire is at your riding pressure then I wouldn't be concerned. Do you even have air in that?
Old 10-06-20, 04:51 PM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by Iride01
If the tire itself is not bulging at the cut when the tire is at your riding pressure then I wouldn't be concerned. Do you even have air in that?
Yea it was at 90 psi when I started my ride today so I bet right there its 85psi? So yes it is inflated.
Old 10-06-20, 05:00 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Look at that area from the Inside of the tire.
Might need a patch of some kind for safety.

Old 10-06-20, 05:13 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I'd take a look on the inside of the tire but otherwise would superglue it and run it.
Likes For oris:
Old 10-06-20, 06:30 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by oris
I'd take a look on the inside of the tire but otherwise would superglue it and run it.
Is this a good fix for a cut in a tire? I ask because I have a much bigger cut in my rear tire. I just noticed it a few days ago. Not sure when I got it, but I've been riding on it with no problems. Should I try superglue in the gash as a repair?
Old 10-06-20, 07:01 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Originally Posted by Random11
Is this a good fix for a cut in a tire? I ask because I have a much bigger cut in my rear tire. I just noticed it a few days ago. Not sure when I got it, but I've been riding on it with no problems. Should I try superglue in the gash as a repair?
The super glue thing is something I learned from here for closing up superficial tire cuts. However if you're able to see threads or the carcass reinforcement from the cut, I'd replace it.
Old 10-06-20, 07:06 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by oris
However if you're able to see threads or the carcass reinforcement from the cut, I'd replace it.
Like this?
Old 10-06-20, 08:25 PM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by GlennR
Like this?
That’s the tube sticking out I assume?
Old 10-06-20, 08:32 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
After my ride, I was doing my usual post ride inspection of the bike and noticed this cut in the tire. I know this is super subjective and it's

super hard to tell from a pic but I wanted to see what you all thought about it. The cut is into the sidewall a bit. It's a Conti GP5000TL, no sealant came out so it didn't puncture the tire. What do you guys think?
i am not familiar with what i assume is a tubeless tire but i see what appears to be a shard of something protruding through the tire, there is a shadow of something just below the conti tread thing and then i see what i think is the other end near where you began and ended your red circle.

-scott
Old 10-06-20, 08:50 PM
oris
I like speed

That doesn't look right. I'd replace it as you shouldn't see anything protruding.

Generally it's still OK if it's inflated, a clean cut on the tread/rubber with nothing protruding or visible cords/threads.
Old 10-06-20, 09:00 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
My safety is worth more than the cost of a new tire. I would toss and replace!
Old 10-06-20, 10:24 PM
TonyMTL

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To all those talking about safety... I have questions for you, I have a hard time picturing something bad happening. I mean I have had my fair share of flats and punctures and cuts etc, and every time it happened the only thing I’ve had happen was a popping sensation and a quick decrease in speed, and then handling issues by which I was going so slowly that I could just apply brakes and put my feet on the ground. Did anyone here ever get seriously injured from a sudden flat? I’m very curious because I personally don’t know anyone who did, please share your experience. For the record; I’m sure it can happen, say in a high speed situation down a hill doing sharp turns next to a cliff or oncoming traffic, but I personally never put myself in such a situation to begin with, and any time I lose more that 15psi pressure in my tyres, I notice it right away and slow down immediately to check it out.

More « on topic » now; I’ve had a cut in my sidewall for about 1800km now and I can see the Inner reinforcement « threading » through it (I assume it’s reinforcement threading, it looks like white thread.)However being in the sidewall there are very little chances of it causing a catastrophic failure, before it does the cut will stretch, then once it stretches the threading will have to stretch and give out and then when you can actually see broken thread that’s when there’s a risk of having the tube bulge out a bit and pop. The cut has not gotten any bigger since I made it, either. Looks exactly the same.

Last edited by TonyMTL; 10-06-20 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 01:25 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyMTL
To all those talking about safety... I have questions for you, I have a hard time picturing something bad happening. I mean I have had my fair share of flats and punctures and cuts etc, and every time it happened the only thing I’ve had happen was a popping sensation and a quick decrease in speed, and then handling issues by which I was going so slowly that I could just apply brakes and put my feet on the ground. Did anyone here ever get seriously injured from a sudden flat? I’m very curious because I personally don’t know anyone who did, please share your experience. For the record; I’m sure it can happen, say in a high speed situation down a hill doing sharp turns next to a cliff or oncoming traffic, but I personally never put myself in such a situation to begin with, and any time I lose more that 15psi pressure in my tyres, I notice it right away and slow down immediately to check it out.

More « on topic » now; I’ve had a cut in my sidewall for about 1800km now and I can see the Inner reinforcement « threading » through it (I assume it’s reinforcement threading, it looks like white thread.)However being in the sidewall there are very little chances of it causing a catastrophic failure, before it does the cut will stretch, then once it stretches the threading will have to stretch and give out and then when you can actually see broken thread that’s when there’s a risk of having the tube bulge out a bit and pop. The cut has not gotten any bigger since I made it, either. Looks exactly the same.
i frequently descend down a steep hill at high speed (35mph+) with sharp turns and a cliff off to the left then on the right when about 2/3 down. not replacing it would give me something to think about on the way down i'm sure.
Old 10-07-20, 03:20 PM
TonyMTL

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i frequently descend down a steep hill at high speed (35mph+) with sharp turns and a cliff off to the left then on the right when about 2/3 down. not replacing it would give me something to think about on the way down i'm sure.
I would probably feel the same if that was my case, in all honesty. I’m probably too scared to even attempt riding like that (and I don’t race so I guess it works out for me!)
Old 10-07-20, 08:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
For the OP's tire.

If there is imprinted tread on the tire.

And the cut itself is not deeper than the imprinted tread, then I wouldn't give it a second thought.

JUST RIDE AND ENJOY
Old 10-08-20, 12:25 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I'd throw that out.
Old 10-08-20, 03:25 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
If the cords are not visible when spreading the cut, and there's not damage visible inside, I'd deem it safe to ride. But it's your decision.

A while ago I posted a picture of a cut in my tire asking for a similar question. It was mostly deemed unsafe as the inner tube was visible (but not bulging through the hole). Anyway, I stuck a tire patch on the inside of the tire, and plugged the 2.5mm hole with a bit of the patch kit glue and a piece of rubber.

I finally threw the tire last weekend when I found irrepairable damage on it (at another place), after riding it for 2500km like this.

I took my chances, and it worked out. But keep in mind that a damaged tire can blowout and cause you to fall, so make sure the cords are ok and there's zero tire deformation when inflated.
Old 10-10-20, 07:45 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I'd ride it. It doesn't look like the casing is damaged, and the rubber is just there for traction. A small superficial cut in the outer rubber doesn't matter, but I'd also inspect it with a good light, magnifier, and tweezers. But chances are good it's from running over a sharp edge rather than something pointy embedding itself in the casing.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 10-10-20, 08:37 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4382 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,864 Posts

I wouldn't ride that tire. When sidewalls do fail, they can be hard to boot (though I have managed - thank you Park Tool). I wouldn't want to be stuck out on the road with a tire I couldn't fix.
And I can't think of any story about somebody being injured or going down owing to a flat.
Old 10-10-20, 09:39 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I wouldn't ride that tire. When sidewalls do fail, they can be hard to boot (though I have managed - thank you Park Tool). I wouldn't want to be stuck out on the road with a tire I couldn't fix.
And I can't think of any story about somebody being injured or going down owing to a flat.
I suppose it depends on how much of the sidewall remains.

I've blown the sidewall off the bead... well, I guess twice. What a pain.

The first time was on a 20x3 trailer tire. I got a 20x2.x thornproof tube. Pumped it up and the tube gave me enough support for the last 20 miles or so of my ride. No boot.

The second one was a 700x23 tire, with a bike that had barely enough clearance for perhaps a tight fit of 700x25. So, I stuffed all could find into and around the tire to give it some support, and managed to make it another 20 or so miles to the nearest shop just before it closed. But, the bulge was a major issue.

In this case, I really don't know what caused the blowout. The tire was brand new. I think 75 miles into the first ride. Probably some vulnerability in the tire itself. Plus, I mounted the tire in the cool evening the night before, and put the pressure to about 110 or so PSI. Then it was a hot afternoon the next day when it blew. So, perhaps slightly overpressure.

I would be tempted to try a boot on one of the tires above. But, so far I've only had moderate success with long-term use of boots, usually eventually wearing through.
Old 10-10-20, 10:17 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4382 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,864 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I suppose it depends on how much of the sidewall remains.

I've blown the sidewall off the bead... well, I guess twice. What a pain.

The first time was on a 20x3 trailer tire. I got a 20x2.x thornproof tube. Pumped it up and the tube gave me enough support for the last 20 miles or so of my ride. No boot.

The second one was a 700x23 tire, with a bike that had barely enough clearance for perhaps a tight fit of 700x25. So, I stuffed all could find into and around the tire to give it some support, and managed to make it another 20 or so miles to the nearest shop just before it closed. But, the bulge was a major issue.

In this case, I really don't know what caused the blowout. The tire was brand new. I think 75 miles into the first ride. Probably some vulnerability in the tire itself. Plus, I mounted the tire in the cool evening the night before, and put the pressure to about 110 or so PSI. Then it was a hot afternoon the next day when it blew. So, perhaps slightly overpressure.

I would be tempted to try a boot on one of the tires above. But, so far I've only had moderate success with long-term use of boots, usually eventually wearing through.
Looks like a GP4000? Lots of anecdotes about their sidewall failures This too was a brand new tire. That's a tire boot underneath, holding it together.
Old 10-10-20, 11:38 PM
CliffordK

Looks like a GP4000? Lots of anecdotes about their sidewall failures This too was a brand new tire. That's a tire boot underneath, holding it together.
I didn't realize the GP's didn't have the cross-hatch pattern on the sidewalls which I'm convinced is primarily cosmetic.

Right brand, wrong tire. You can see the "S..LL" in the photo.

Conti Gator Hardshell. And, as I mentioned, mounted the day before, first 75 miles.

Stripped the bead off... which means one has to wrap whatever one uses for a boot under one, or both of the beads, and around to the outside of the tire. And, in this case, bulging was still a problem. I managed to adjust the dropouts enough to move tire a bit away from the bad side, then by pulling the skewer back,it keep the hub from pulling imperceptibly forward and rubbing.

The shop I stopped at recommended carrying gorilla tape the next time, but I never seem to have any in my bag.
Old 10-10-20, 11:39 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

You need to unmount the tyre and inspect it from the inside as well, except if its obvious its cut all the way through. Then just bin it.
Old 10-12-20, 02:11 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Fine... ride it.

Originally Posted by GlennR
Replace

Keep an eye on it but if you have the $ and don't care then buy a new one.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Kill that with fire.

Kill that with fire after the tire boot gets you home.

Likes For Psimet2001: