Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When you realize your 5 min max power is less than a pros 3 hour max power

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When you realize your 5 min max power is less than a pros 3 hour max power

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-21, 04:43 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
it some times hurts when you try to go on what is for me a huge sprint going bawls out dying for say 100-200 yards and see you never broke 30mph.....
as i watch pro's doing 40mph in groups.
If you're in a group doing 40 mph you don't need to sprint...
Old 01-22-21, 11:11 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Ancohuma was the sleepless enterprise. Other stuff here and there. Nothing overly impressive.

Had a ****ty seizure 3 years ago, a bunch of other super-unlucky life occurrences. Trying to bike my way back to returning to Bolivia in a few years. We'll see.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 01-23-21, 12:07 AM
allepunta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
Relax, they have access to the best medical chemistry and fresh blood on the side.
might well be... but you can dope a donkey, will never become a race horse...
Old 01-23-21, 12:11 AM
allepunta

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
why would you use a powermeter anyway...like I read in another forum once "it is like hiring an accountant to tell you how poor you are"
Likes For allepunta:
Old 01-23-21, 01:32 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I've learned there's a big difference between regional/domestic pros, and Tour pros. I've ridden with Tour pros that are 10 years into retirement and they are still absolute beasts, just unreal. They take KOMs without even thinking about it, just messing around on a group ride.
Old 01-23-21, 11:24 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
This guy has the whole road racer persona lifestyle down. I'm still riding steel bikes so I don't have to worry about being shunned. In fact as the pack zips by me I don't think they can see me. Didn't know about Strava until this video. Laughed the whole time as he instructed us on how to game the KOM system. I'll probably have to look for a road out in the middle of Nevada, maybe Hwy 50 east of Eureka, NV. for my KOM skills to shine. Maybe I'll just ignore Strava and just keep riding bicycle anyway without it. That's more like it. Takes too long to cycle to the middle of Nevada.
Old 01-23-21, 11:57 PM
shrimp123

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
so you are all telling me that i should be paid as much pros are paid in 3hours, for just pedaling for 5minutes?
kewl. get me some greens.
Old 01-24-21, 01:21 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Buddy of mine would drag his bike out mid summer and go on a ride with me, his first of the year and I'd have three thousand miles by then. I couldn't drop him to save my life. And he was maybe possibly a cat 2 roadie back in the day.

Genetics ain't fair.
Old 01-24-21, 08:23 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
That video is both pretty funny and very true once you realize it's backwards hat Dylan. I like Dylan's channel in general.

Every road KOM in my area was set on a day with a huge tailwind favoring the rider, often with a leadout. Or, you'll pull up the ride that had the KOM and the rider did a five mile warmup, hammered a 2 minute segment and then did a five mile warm down. It's eyerolling. Still, 47 year old guys like me can get into the top ten and occasionally set the KOM on regular group rides if we make an effort. It's attainable. The average road segment around here may have 500-1,000 unique riders on the leaderboard.

Mountain biking is a different story. There's very little singletrack mountain biking in my area (Chicago suburbs) and the trails that are available are both heavily traveled and used for races. As a result the singletrack KOMs in my area are really fast and often set by very talented / professional riders on a race day. If I get into the top 200 on those segments, I consider that a good effort for me. This reflects both the speed of the KOM and my general lack of offroad skill. There are 3,000-5,000 unique riders on all of these singletrack leaderboards.

"Strava racing" is easy to roll your eyes at. There are certainly people that take this meaningless "competition" among non-competitors way too seriously. On the other hand, going for a segment can add some serious zip to your workouts and help you break plateaus. Maybe you care about that, maybe you don't. I think the whole thing is fun as long as you don't take it too seriously.

Last edited by Hiro11; 01-24-21 at 08:31 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 01-25-21, 07:46 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Buddy of mine would drag his bike out mid summer and go on a ride with me, his first of the year and I'd have three thousand miles by then. I couldn't drop him to save my life. And he was maybe possibly a cat 2 roadie back in the day.

Genetics ain't fair.
Life and genetics can seem unfair. I road raced in the early 70's while based in a mountainous area. There was always the casual rider who would come out on a ride and keep up or kill us on the mountains. Humble pie is handed out by receding rear wheels. My third year racing a 14 yr old kid and his dad showed up and started riding with us. The kid and his dad were shortly showing everyone how to go up mountains. His name was Greg Lemond. Though Greg was a USCF Jr racer at the time I never bested him on any hill climb. The difference between superior and ordinary athletic gifts is a chasm as big as the Grand Canyon. Train train train and still slower than the best. So if you woke up this morning feeling good what more is there.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 01-25-21, 08:50 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
You would think the gaps would widen the shorter a duration you can get. So, take that down from 5min for yourself down to just 1min. What can you do for a minute, and how long can they do it?

Avg Cat 5 racer would be like, what? 500w for a minute?

In the prime of the dope era, pretty sure when Lance weighed a bit more they estimated that hill climb time trial in the tour to have been done in the upper upper 400's for like 25min. What was the estimate? 495? For 25min. That's like fake funny math right there! But, it isn't. The Zwift Alp is a hair shorter than the real life climb finish. If it's taken me 54min at 3.5w/kg and he did it about twice as fast..........yup, that'd be 7w/kg for him. At 7 at the time he was about 70kg. 7x70 = 490w. Whoa. That's what I weigh now, 70kg. I could only do 490 for maybe a minute and pocket change. Dude did it for 25min.

25x longer than what local yokels could do for a minute.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-25-21, 09:19 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
This isn't just a cycling thing.

In my early 20's, I was running sub 1:30 half marathons and 10k around 40.

I tested myself a few times to see what my mile time was. It was right around 5 minutes. Never under but I think I could have with dedicated work.

So at my best, all out, my best single mile was 25-30 seconds slower than a single mile from an olympic marathoner.

Keeps you humble

​​​​​​
Old 01-25-21, 09:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
You would think the gaps would widen the shorter a duration you can get. So, take that down from 5min for yourself down to just 1min. What can you do for a minute, and how long can they do it?

Avg Cat 5 racer would be like, what? 500w for a minute?

In the prime of the dope era, pretty sure when Lance weighed a bit more they estimated that hill climb time trial in the tour to have been done in the upper upper 400's for like 25min. What was the estimate? 495? For 25min. That's like fake funny math right there! But, it isn't. The Zwift Alp is a hair shorter than the real life climb finish. If it's taken me 54min at 3.5w/kg and he did it about twice as fast..........yup, that'd be 7w/kg for him. At 7 at the time he was about 70kg. 7x70 = 490w. Whoa. That's what I weigh now, 70kg. I could only do 490 for maybe a minute and pocket change. Dude did it for 25min.

25x longer than what local yokels could do for a minute.
GCN did the video on how long individuals could hold the power from Wiggin's hour record, which was ~440w. The schmoe off the street didn't last one minute, Ollie almost made it to 4 minutes and Conor did 46 minutes. That's a pretty stark demonstration of the difference that training and genetics can make.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-25-21, 10:06 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I had to look, historically, my longest time at 440W is about 15 seconds. For an hour, I'm better than half Wiggin's 440w, but not a lot better. This is a generous serving of humble pie!
Old 01-25-21, 10:19 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I had to look, historically, my longest time at 440W is about 15 seconds. For an hour, I'm better than half Wiggin's 440w, but not a lot better. This is a generous serving of humble pie!
For me, at least, 440w is in a weird no-man's land - there's just not much reason to stay there for long unless you're ungodly strong. I bet that you could hold it much longer that 15sec if you were trying, though. Looking at my 2020 data, I managed ~90 sec on a couple occasions, both of which were short hills of about that duration (I'm a heavy guy [for road cycling] that likes to get little hills over with asap).
Old 01-25-21, 10:38 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by WhyFi
GCN did the video on how long individuals could hold the power from Wiggin's hour record, which was ~440w. The schmoe off the street didn't last one minute, Ollie almost made it to 4 minutes and Conor did 46 minutes. That's a pretty stark demonstration of the difference that training and genetics can make.
For that video, what doesn't do Wiggins justice is how much power you lose going from sitting upright like Conor did versus being scrunched down in that aero position! And that excludes the pain of riding the rivet of a TT/pursuit saddle and the shoulder/neck/arm pain of an hour down there. 440w for 45min is stellar no matter what.

You can train on a TT or pursuit bike all you want, the hip angle and shoulder shrug make it so you will always make less power than the road bike.

If you put Conor into that same position Wiggins was in relative to his body geometry........I'd wager a full pint of good beer he couldn't leave the 300's for the hour. Unless Conor rides a TT bike about 50% of the time, it wouldn't surprise me if he was down a lot more than that.

They're figuring with modern aero setups somebody like Campanaerts made under 400w for his hour record. Wiggins was a big dude.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-25-21, 10:40 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

For me, at least, 440w is in a weird no-man's land - there's just not much reason to stay there for long unless you're ungodly strong. I bet that you could hold it much longer that 15sec if you were trying, though. Looking at my 2020 data, I managed ~90 sec on a couple occasions, both of which were short hills of about that duration (I'm a heavy guy [for road cycling] that likes to get little hills over with asap).
Agreed, as an endurance rider, I don't do a lot of high power-short duration riding. I might try to hold 440w as long as I can after I get my pain cave put back together ... we've had a painter working in our basement for the last week, it'll be great suffering in a freshly painted pain cave!
Old 01-25-21, 10:47 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
If you put Conor into that same position Wiggins was in relative to his body geometry........I'd wager a full pint of good beer he couldn't leave the 300's for the hour. Unless Conor rides a TT bike about 50% of the time, it wouldn't surprise me if he was down a lot more than that.
I seem to remember them mentioning that Conor was a member of the time trial team when he was riding professionally, though, so that beer might be in peril.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-25-21, 11:51 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I seem to remember them mentioning that Conor was a member of the time trial team when he was riding professionally, though, so that beer might be in peril.
It'd be worth the loss of a beer just to see it in person. Not over internet, but like one of your buds makes a bet and guts themselves trying.

Here's a challenge I thought of:
If Covid calms down, I told our team mates I'd put a beer on the line to attempt the "Campanaerts ftp test" paceline challenge. They're on road bikes, I'm on full TT kit. Goal is you have 20min to drop the others. They can't rotate. Decide ahead of time the order of riders. They also can't pass and then surge/recover. Choo choo train losing the caboose, then the dining car, then the passenger cabin........I get a beer from each person dropped.

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-25-21, 12:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a couple KOMs that will probably never be broken because the roads don't exist any more. That's the secret. Find a road that they're about to tear up to build a new mall, go ride it, post it, never worry about it being taken.
Old 01-28-21, 10:47 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I have a couple KOMs that will probably never be broken because the roads don't exist any more. That's the secret. Find a road that they're about to tear up to build a new mall, go ride it, post it, never worry about it being taken.
After seeing Free Solo I realized a winning strategy would be too spend a year studying one of the stupid fast curvy dangerous descent segments around here, learning every inch, then (this is critical) having no concern whatsoever for death, do it.

One difference, though, for him any mistake would be fatal. No chance of paralysis or other survivable but life changing outcome.
Old 01-29-21, 09:54 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I fell like this belongs in this thread too

Old 01-31-21, 08:08 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
my best ride was when i was tanked up on vodka. there was a really steep climb that i used to use the lowest gear on the 30 lb stumpjumper that i had and it was still tough! (Mora Drive in Los Altos hills for anyone in that area)

well on this day i stuck it in the big ring with a 16 on the back and just sprinted up the thing like a mad man.

never put out nearly as much power since then. 15 seconds of pro fame. well actually it was like 45 seconds to the top.

there might have been some cocaine involved also but i can not remember.

pro racing puts enormous strain on your knees, hips, back, your body was only designed to take so much and your joints have maybe 10 million revolutions available per body. so would you rather burn those joints up in 4 years as a pro or enjoy riding till your 100? i do not think that many pros ride bikes for fun after they retire, maybe i am wrong but it seems illogical that they would want to do something that represents pain memories stored up in the cerebral vortex.

Last edited by cjenrick; 01-31-21 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-31-21, 08:32 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by cjenrick
pro racing puts enormous strain on your knees, hips, back, your body was only designed to take so much and your joints have maybe 10 million revolutions available per body. so would you rather burn those joints up in 4 years as a pro or enjoy riding till your 100? i do not think that many pros ride bikes for fun after they retire, maybe i am wrong but it seems illogical that they would want to do something that represents pain memories stored up in the cerebral vortex.
Old 01-31-21, 08:59 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
That's the first Dylan Johnson video I turned off after a few minutes because of the overall d!ckishness.

Then I realized he was doing Backward Hat Dylan. I missed the entire intent.

Not one of his best videos anyway. Backward Hat Dylan is best in small doses as a counterpoint to Dylan's usual solid videos based on evidence.

BTW, even in "failing" his most recent Everesting attempt, Phil Gaimon was still cranking out more climbing power for four hours than I can hold for 10 minutes on our puny 2%-5% hillettes. He bailed out before finishing so the support crew of volunteers wasn't waiting for 7-8 hours for a hopeless attempt at breaking the record. Phil's fails are better than my best day ever. There's a perverse comfort in that.

Monday I walked 10 miles home from my immunology appointment after buying a new pair of walking shoes. That was a mistake -- the toe box was a bit tight with the thick socks I wore. I can modify the insole to make 'em work. But the final two miles was painful.

The main lesson was: I spent a little more than 3 hours walking continuously, two miles in some pain, and realized I do not have the tenacity or pain tolerance to tackle Everesting, a 7-8 hour commitment for the strongest men and women, more like a 12 hour commitment for me.
climbing power does translate to every aspect of cycling , he is fast up a hill , thats about it !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.