Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Velotoze Inside Shoes?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Velotoze Inside Shoes?

Old 01-09-21, 01:04 PM
debenhoh

Bikes: 2021 Giant Contend AR1; Giant Escape Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Velotoze Inside Shoes?

Has anyone out there tried using Velotoze (or similar tight-fitting neoprene shoe covers) inside their shoes, like an extra pair of socks? I've used simple plastic bags for a couple winters and they work pretty well for keeping my feet dry and warm without a need for shoe covers, but they're a bit of a hassle to use since they obviously aren't designed to the shape of a foot or shoe.
Old 01-09-21, 03:38 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
LOL , not me , i have been using these scuba socks over my shoes , with emergency blankets over usb powered heating elements !
Old 01-09-21, 07:53 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I have a pair of Pearl iZumi covers. Frankly I’ve never been completely satisfied with the fit and performance of them. I had some others that I never really liked either. What I find myself continuing to resort to is plastic bags OVER my cycling shoes, and then a pair of thin close-fitting plain black dress socks over the bag to neaten it up. I use LOOK pedals so this setup is thin enough for the cleat to still click into the pedal. Other cleat/pedal systems might require a hole in the sock/bag. I usually go through a couple pair of socks per winter. I just got some Velotoze for Xmas. I used them one time, and other than how difficult they are to get on...they were OK. Second use...one of them ripped completely in half putting it on. Hopefully that was just a bad cover that slipped through QA. Company is replacing them for no charge, and I’m waiting for them to arrive. But I’m not completely optimistic and have a feeling I’ll be going back to plastic bags and socks.

Dan
Old 01-09-21, 08:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by debenhoh
Has anyone out there tried using Velotoze (or similar tight-fitting neoprene shoe covers) inside their shoes, like an extra pair of socks? I've used simple plastic bags for a couple winters and they work pretty well for keeping my feet dry and warm without a need for shoe covers, but they're a bit of a hassle to use since they obviously aren't designed to the shape of a foot or shoe.
You can up the warmth of plastic bags a lot by using two, one against your bare foot, then socks, then a second bag and a thin stretchy sock over all. (Black old man's calf/knee socks work really well.) This keeps the socks dry and all of their insulating value. Your feet will be very wet but it is a snug warm wetsuit wet. (The key - no homes in that inside bag! I shake air into the bags, seal with my fingers and see if I can squeeze out air before I put it on. On dry days, small holes in the outside bag aren't a very big deal.)

I have to confess that my 45North Fastercatts are more comfortable, warmer and far easier to put on but they are $200 and SPD so no help on my road bikes.
Old 01-09-21, 10:33 PM
debenhoh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks to all of you. I've got a few new ideas to try - I never would have thought of scuba socks.
Old 01-09-21, 11:19 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

In my post above I also wanted to say that I’ve tried the plastic bag INSIDE my shoes...and like mentioned above...your foot will really be wet (sweaty). That’s why I like the bags (or anything) on the outside of the shoe instead. Still blocks in the moisture/sweat but your foot doesn’t get nearly as wet.

Dan
Old 01-15-21, 08:25 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I use fleece socks and cut out the toe section to cover over the wool socks. They seem to doing the trick for now in -15C. However, if you pedal hard up a hill, you should warm up in no time.
Old 01-15-21, 08:42 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
you can use sealskinz socks and gloves for winter. They are totally wind and waterproof, thin and actually work.
They are stiff and you may not have room in your shoes, but worth a try if that's the way you want to go.
Old 01-17-21, 03:06 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
I use homemade tyvek liners inside of shoes. They’re breathable so less sweating but they keep the wind and cold out.
Old 01-17-21, 11:23 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by bikehoco
I use homemade tyvek liners inside of shoes.
Interesting. Did you use a pattern for this? Can you provide it if you did? If you didn’t...how’d you get the shape right? I’d like to try it out.

Dan
Old 01-18-21, 08:23 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Tyvek shoe liner
I use used envelopes, a little experimenting makes perfect. Keep in mind tyvek doesn’t stretch.

Last edited by bikehoco; 01-18-21 at 08:26 AM.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 01-21-21, 03:34 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

I’m done with Velotoze (the latex version anyway). One of the original pair I got for Xmas ripped while putting it on for only the second use. I contacted the company and at least they sent me a replacement pair at no charge. I just got back from a ride using the replacement pair and one of them ripped taking it off. I still have two un-ripped covers...but I don’t have faith they’ll last long.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-21-21 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 06:26 PM
debenhoh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the Velotoze update. I wondered about their durability after I watched a video of someone putting them on - I appreciate the real-world experience. I think I'll steer clear.
Old 01-21-21, 06:42 PM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I’m done with Velotoze (the latex version anyway). One of the original pair I got for Xmas ripped while putting it on for only the second use. I contacted the company and at least they sent me a replacement pair at no charge. I just got back from a ride using the replacement pair and one of them ripped taking it off. I still have two in-ripper cover...but I don’t have faith they’ll last long.

Dan
My experience as well. Worked great but ripped after a few rides.
Become reality to me
Old 02-02-21, 03:48 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I've used the neoprene in shoe toe covers made by TACX I think? I also have a no name pair off ebay that are actually better. The real ones cover a good half of my foot and are difficult to fit in shoes. The knock-off pair only cover my toes and fit better.
Old 02-02-21, 09:42 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

I’m done with Velotoze (the latex version anyway). One of the original pair I got for Xmas ripped while putting it on for only the second use. I contacted the company and at least they sent me a replacement pair at no charge. I just got back from a ride using the replacement pair and one of them ripped taking it off. I still have two un-ripped covers...but I don’t have faith they’ll last long.

Dan
FWIW...I contacted the company and informed them that the second pair ripped and that “I’m all done with Velotoze. I only wish that I could get a refund.” They apologized and refunded the original purchase price to my credit card.

Dan
Old 02-04-21, 04:03 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I tried a bunch of solutions with normal bike shoes, but eventually I just broke down and spent the money on some winter specific shoes.

Worth it.

I added some liners in the sole, and while my feet will still get a little chilly (I have bad circulation on a good day...) they are much improved even on longer rides.

https://www.amazon.com/Fizik-X5-Arti...s%2C216&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-04-21, 04:30 PM
debenhoh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting. Did you use a pattern for this? Can you provide it if you did? If you didn’t...how’d you get the shape right? I’d like to try it out.

Dan
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I tried a bunch of solutions with normal bike shoes, but eventually I just broke down and spent the money on some winter specific shoes.

Worth it.

I added some liners in the sole, and while my feet will still get a little chilly (I have bad circulation on a good day...) they are much improved even on longer rides.

https://www.amazon.com/Fizik-X5-Arti...s%2C216&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the ideas. I'm assuming you replaced the insoles that came with the shoes (with the Polar Felt ones), right?
And did those winter shoes fit about the same as your other shoes?
Dave
Old 02-04-21, 04:31 PM
debenhoh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry for confusion. Not sure why that double-quoted. Only meant to quote Notso-fastLane.
Old 02-05-21, 10:31 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
The Fizik fit about the same as my normal (I use MTB style shoes) size 44. First pass, I just slipped the Polar Felt into them. It works for me without being too tight, so I just wear them that way. I'm not sure how much more room there might be if I pulled the existing insoles out.

I got a screaming deal on the shoes (they supposedly were damaged, but I couldn't find so much as a scuff when they arrived). I was skeptical, but having worn them for 2 winters now, I'd gladly pay full price. I've had my Specialized MTB shoes since 2011 and they are still great, with only minor scuffing, and I'm not particularly easy on my shoes (not super hard on them either, but...) so if I have to pay $200 every 10-15 years for a pair of good shoes, I'm ok with that.
Old 02-05-21, 03:41 PM
debenhoh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
The Fizik fit about the same as my normal (I use MTB style shoes) size 44. First pass, I just slipped the Polar Felt into them. It works for me without being too tight, so I just wear them that way. I'm not sure how much more room there might be if I pulled the existing insoles out.

I got a screaming deal on the shoes (they supposedly were damaged, but I couldn't find so much as a scuff when they arrived). I was skeptical, but having worn them for 2 winters now, I'd gladly pay full price. I've had my Specialized MTB shoes since 2011 and they are still great, with only minor scuffing, and I'm not particularly easy on my shoes (not super hard on them either, but...) so if I have to pay $200 every 10-15 years for a pair of good shoes, I'm ok with that.
Thanks so much - very helpful. Heck, for warm toes, I'd probably pay $5/ride, much less $20/year! :-)
Likes For debenhoh:
Old 02-14-21, 09:15 AM
Billy Bones

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I use those plastic sleeves that newspapers come in....already sock-shaped! They're tough enough for 10 outings before they shred.

They're worth about 5-degrees F colder spin than socks alone...together with booties, I get out reliably at 32-degrees F, 25-degrees F in the sunlight.

Every couple of years I'll get my newspaper-reading to save a month's worth.
Old 02-14-21, 11:24 AM
xyz
Banned.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6072 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 712 Posts
Anyone ever tried wearing a couple of these under the normal sock?

https://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Ultra-D...87107175&psc=1
Old 02-14-21, 04:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz
Anyone ever tried wearing a couple of these under the normal sock?

https://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Ultra-D...87107175&psc=1
Silk socks. I'm willing to try them. They should be fairly durable, right?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-14-21, 05:00 PM
xyz
Banned.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6072 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Silk socks. I'm willing to try them. They should be fairly durable, right?
I've been wearing silk gloves under some plain vanilla Mechanix Gloves, seem to hold up pretty well. Been using the same pair for a couple hundred miles. They do NOT mix well with velcro, tears them up, but they hold up even then, doesn't actually tear them just pulls the material out in clumps. Those socks from amazon are $1.40 a pair, so even if they don't last you aren't out much.
Likes For xyz: