Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Power meters

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 05:43 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Good. So for Wed, you plan on 60 min at 250W (or whatever somebody makes up thinking that makes them fitter) and turn around at 30 min regardless how far you go.
But Wed AM - you do not feel so good. Do you - train to plan, or adjust?
Those that train to plan I am arguing do not improve.
Those that train to RPE improve more.

The PM does record power improvement, but the whole point is speed (I think), so why not measure that?

HR is a better reflection of RPE/how you feel. An elevated morning HR says your are fatigued.
Take your BP sitting and standing. If you see it drop when standing, you are fatigued or dehydrated.

train to speed? What? You’re not thinking clearly. So many things effect speed. The bike you’re riding. The tires. The tire pressure. The road conditions. The weather. Especially wind. That’s EXACTLY why you don’t train to speed. Power is far more reliable metric than speed.

training to power is not blindly tossing out all other factors and blindly training to power. If I wake up and feel fine and have a power based workout I will follow it. If I’m feeling particularly fatigued or something I will adjust the plan.
Old 02-14-21, 06:35 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Can't buy Powertap, SRAM is not going to sell them anymore....
Used, used, used. $200-400 bucks all over the place.
Old 02-14-21, 06:37 AM
rubiksoval

On this forum - yes. Cam Wurf, T Finney have it in video. So I can mention them.
Congrats on choosing two people (and one that doesn't even race anymore) out of a pool of tens, if not hundreds, of thousands.

You're arguing just to argue. It's completely pointless.
Old 02-14-21, 06:38 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Compared to "upstream" meters, a PowerTap will read lower more often than it reads higher, but not always. If power meters were a little more accurate, PowerTaps would always read lower.
Yes. But yours doesn't?

Because mine do.
Old 02-14-21, 06:44 AM
rubiksoval

Show me the pro who publishes they use that power number to determine how hard to work. That is training to power. Their might be some, I can't find them.
Who's published recently?

Thibault Pinot and Marcel Kittel? Yep.

Then, of course, you have examples of guys training by power going back two to three decades with Basso, Armstrong, and Riis.

And of course, you know this. That you can only come up with two guy (and I'm pretty sure Phinney's video said racing/time trialing with power, not training) is enough to show how misguided your futile attempts are.

You're very familiar with Roy Knickman, right?

Seth Davidson: Have power meters helped or hurt bike racing?

Roy Knickman: It has definitely helped. It’s a double-edged sword. Training has changed in ability to quantify because heart rate is so sloppy. Being more accurate allows you to do more work and being able to see when you were overworking. More quality work is more adaptation.

Thanks for playing.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 02-14-21 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-14-21, 07:12 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Power2max. No complaints. I never use it to train. In fact, the data go directly to my wife, who only tells me how much peanut butter and cottage cheese to buy for next week.
Old 02-14-21, 12:17 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Used, used, used. $200-400 bucks all over the place.

Yep, you are correct on the used, I meant to say new sales....

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-15-21 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-14-21, 12:44 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I have a 2017 Quarq DZero Carbon on one bike and a 2019 Giant Power Pro (which is a rebadged Pioneer unit, I believe) on another bike. The Quarq is spider-based, the Giant has two strain guages on the crankarms themselves.

I personally love training with power meters. Power meter data combined with heart rate data provides a fairly conclusive measure of overall fitness and how hard a particular workout was.

The Quarq has been absolutely bulletproof, connects instantly to my headunit and the battery lasts a very long time. It doesn't have a rechargeable battery and replacing the battery is apparently a bit of a pain due to the fiddly cover, but I haven't had to do it yet. Great product.

The Giant has a rechargeable battery but... it sucked when I first got it. Initially, the Giant had tons of lost connections and constant battery drain. I had the charge the damned thing before every ride. Sometimes I just couldn't get it to connect to my head unit as I was headed out the door. Also, I couldn't update the firmware as the unreliable Bluetooth connection caused failures mid-update. The Power Pro was driving me nuts back then. Thankfully after about three months of ownership, I finally got the firmware on the Giant updated without it bombing out. That first update made the connection a lot more reliable but the battery drain issue persisted. Subsequent firmware updates have fixed that problems, the Giant unit now holds a charge for months and connects reliably. Now I really like the Power Pro, it's as foolproof as the Quarq at this point. The 2021 version of the Power Pro has a different appearance but is apparently identical inside. Now that it's reliable, Giant including the Power Pro for free on many models is a great bargain that few are matching at this point.

Last edited by Hiro11; 02-14-21 at 01:00 PM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 02-14-21, 02:09 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
train to speed? What? You’re not thinking clearly.
I think it's call drunk trolling...
Old 02-14-21, 03:28 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Power2max. No complaints.
I have one minor complaint about my Power2Max -- it uses a fairly uncommon battery size that isn't stocked in many stores.
Old 02-14-21, 04:53 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
And of course, you know this. That you can only come up with two guy (and I'm pretty sure Phinney's video said racing/time trialing with power, not training) is enough to show how misguided your futile attempts are.

You're very familiar with Roy Knickman, right?
I think you know how well I know him - right? I would expect you might find us agreeing.

As there are too many posts to respond to, I'll start from somewhat the beginning.

I like PMs, I have them on my bikes and my kid's bikes. I like hub meters because I do not think they are useful for racing and they better measure the whole system - after friction etc., although there is tire and wheel loss, they are the closest to power to the pavement you can get now.

My point of not training to power is that trying to adjust effort to a power number has the rider working too hard, or not hard enough. The point of training is to fatigue and then recover. How much fatigue and how long to recover are not things a PM tells the athlete.

Morning resting HR, blood pressure, and feel are better indicators than meeting a power number. A PM does not tell you about fatigue or recovery – just power.

A PM is useful for :
1 Optimizing position by trying to hold a speed at the least amount of power. Power may go down in some positions where speed goes up. Those of certain sizes lose power in regulated positions (UCI TT).

2 Seeing relative power of opponents vs yours over time slices and if racing, act on that. This assumes you have opponents, if not skip.
For example a cycling buddy of my kid can hit 2,000W. But how many times can he do that and how long can he hold 1,200W. Knowing that helps know how to ride against that person.

3 In cases where a known route is being repeated it can be a guide to effort especially when weather is added as an unknown.

4 A recorded power and power/time that coaches can use to devise training methods to fill gaps.

5 Recording total actual work done

6 Seeing progression of training over time - you can get that from speed and races instead.

Not useful for finding what effort you should do to meet a number on the PM.

In a ITT, if it is anything but consistent you have to deal with aero drag and hills. More power should be applied up the hill and less descending as the aero resistance is exponential to speed. How much more power? That is an art. The both year Kona bike section records were set without Wurf looking at a PM, so he said in a video.

Not useful for fatiging the body/training to a number. On any given day you can do more, or less than another day. Try too hard to meet a number and you over train. Follow a number when you could have done more and you left too much on the table.

Not useful for raceing with the rare exception of being alone on a realatively consistant situation. Part of that art is knowing how you feel and what you can do - and when to ignore the numbers.
Old 02-14-21, 05:00 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
The point of training is to fatigue and then recover.
No, the point of training is to overload the system to produce desired adaptations. Fatigue doesn't necessarily indicate overload. Recovery from fatigue doesn't necessarily produce desired adaptations. Training with a power meter, if applied properly, can tell a rider that the correct overload is being generated.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 02-14-21, 05:08 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
train to speed? What? You’re not thinking clearly. So many things effect speed. The bike you’re riding. The tires. The tire pressure. The road conditions. The weather. Especially wind. That’s EXACTLY why you don’t train to speed. Power is far more reliable metric than speed....
What is the goal? I assumed it was more speed, not more power. Even so, for more power I might not use a PM to achieve that.
You are correct, so many things affect speed. If the goal is to be faster, why not focus on that? The most aero position for a 6' rider is likely not the most powerful (if regulated by UCI/USAC rules). So when new rules come down, seems to make more sense to find how to deal with going faster with those constraints.
Old 02-14-21, 06:30 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
You should use them for tuning position and equipment, so from that standpoint - I guess it is training. If the team manager or coach likes to see them for progression - OK.

But they should not be used for racing and should not be used for increasing fitness unless they are somehow a modivator. A HRM is a better tool for that.
I agree with your first sentence, but why should you not also use them for measuring and regulating your training effort? If there is a better tool, what is it?
Old 02-14-21, 07:48 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Wow has this thread gone off the rails. A simple question turned into a circular debate about the value (or lack of) of using power for training, racing, washing underwear, disciplining small children, and committing lewd acts with houseplants.

So. To answer your question - both of my bikes are equipped with crank based power meters, Quarq brand. It's the more expensive way to go since you can't swap them out easily or quickly, but they are highly reliable and accurate. They provide power measurement for both legs since the strain is measured at the axle. My oldest one I bought in 2013 and it is still on my training / rainy day bike and works fine. Batteries last a very long time - I think I change them out every nine to twelve month whether they need it our not and have never had one go dead on a ride. They just work. Get on the bike, don't forget your computer, and evaluate your power when you get home with any number of great tracking tools. I have used a PowerTap hub and it was OK - wired though, so equally inconvenient. Wireless is the way to go there! I also tried a Stages power meter (left crank arm) and it didn't seem to give as consistent of a reading - but that was while I worked with my coach on a new program and he was doing serious number crunching. Just on my own it would have been sufficient. Get what fits your needs (and budget) and USE THE DATA! It will help you improve or meet the goals you set.

As far as whether or not you "need" a power meter? Power does not lie. Some days you go out and feel like you can crush the world and your power reads what you are able to put down on the road. Some days you go out feeling kind of meh? and notice that you just can't keep the numbers up. You can be deep into a training bloc and notice that your numbers keep going down even though you feel like you are putting everything into it. Or you can be on a day where you just feel good and realize you're pushing huge number and think "damn - I'm doing this?" Your body reacts differently depending on stress. HR, breathing, perceived exertion, sweating, body heat - are all variable depending on your conditions, mental state, health. But power is a measurement of what you are capable of sustaining. I've had days where I felt like sheep dung run over by a pack of wolves, but rode off the front of a group. I've also had days where I felt pretty OK but watched the pack leave me behind and nothing and no one could get any more power out of me. It's also the ideal measuring stick, because the better and stronger you get, the higher the sustained numbers go. My max HR was 172 six months ago getting healthy from a knee injury and my FTP was 264. My max HR today is 172 and my FTP is 286. I don't know of ANY accurate test of your ability to maintain power output based on heart rate, but FTP tests are an all you can eat buffet of methods.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 02-14-21, 08:23 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
My power meter helps my Marriage, it’s another cycling indulgence she supports! I have had various power meters for over 10 years, never raced, trained formally or ever approached cycling in a competitive way. I just like riding bikes, bike technology, equipment, its a hobby which we enjoy. There are lot of scolds hiding behind keyboards on this forum telling people they know the exact threshold between necessity and indulgent waste. To someone from the economic bottom 80% of the world everything being discussed is frivolous luxury.
Old 02-14-21, 08:28 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
No, the point of training is to overload the system to produce desired adaptations. Fatigue doesn't necessarily indicate overload. Recovery from fatigue doesn't necessarily produce desired adaptations. Training with a power meter, if applied properly, can tell a rider that the correct overload is being generated.
Indeed. If I have a workout - a HIIT workout - and I want to do X intervals for Y length at Z% of my FTP and I can't meet my Z% (not a set # but a range) then I'll stop doing the intervals even if I haven't done all I've planned. To continue on will just pile up fatigue without generating the adaptations I want.
Old 02-15-21, 06:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I have one minor complaint about my Power2Max -- it uses a fairly uncommon battery size that isn't stocked in many stores.
2450? Are they rare? I’ve only had the gizmo since July, but I’ve bought two batteries at my local military commissary, where shopping can be an almost Soviet experience.
Old 02-15-21, 08:32 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I'm a PM newbie, about 6 months in with a pair of Garmin Vector 3. Prior to getting them I was using SPD pedals and I wanted to start using road cleats and get a new pair of shoes anyway.

Having the Garmins coupled with an Edge 530 is great, I chose pedal based PMs for the ease of moving from one bike to the other.

I do some interval training inside with Zwift so having PMs outside is helping me to keep from going too hard on the hills. I'm never going to be anything other than a recreational rider but I want to be a good recreational rider. I have more money spent on my Garmin computer and PM pedals than my bike. Some might think that crazy but when I get ready to upgrade my bike it will be a simple thing to move the head unit and PMs to the new.
Old 02-15-21, 02:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
2450? Are they rare? I’ve only had the gizmo since July, but I’ve bought two batteries at my local military commissary, where shopping can be an almost Soviet experience.
Mine uses 2450N batteries. Not a common size, and I think only one manufacturer (Renata) produces them.
Old 02-15-21, 02:36 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Mine uses 2450N batteries. Not a common size, and I think only one manufacturer (Renata) produces them.
Ah, the first generation, the one that eats batteries? Someone else here has one of those and only premium, Swiss-made, Renata batteries will fit it.
Old 02-15-21, 03:01 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Thanks Hiro!
Old 02-15-21, 03:03 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by tgenec86
Wow has this thread gone off the rails. A simple question turned into a circular debate about the value (or lack of) of using power for training, racing, washing underwear, disciplining small children, and committing lewd acts with houseplants.

So. To answer your question - both of my bikes are equipped with crank based power meters, Quarq brand. It's the more expensive way to go since you can't swap them out easily or quickly, but they are highly reliable and accurate. They provide power measurement for both legs since the strain is measured at the axle. My oldest one I bought in 2013 and it is still on my training / rainy day bike and works fine. Batteries last a very long time - I think I change them out every nine to twelve month whether they need it our not and have never had one go dead on a ride. They just work. Get on the bike, don't forget your computer, and evaluate your power when you get home with any number of great tracking tools. I have used a PowerTap hub and it was OK - wired though, so equally inconvenient. Wireless is the way to go there! I also tried a Stages power meter (left crank arm) and it didn't seem to give as consistent of a reading - but that was while I worked with my coach on a new program and he was doing serious number crunching. Just on my own it would have been sufficient. Get what fits your needs (and budget) and USE THE DATA! It will help you improve or meet the goals you set.

As far as whether or not you "need" a power meter? Power does not lie. Some days you go out and feel like you can crush the world and your power reads what you are able to put down on the road. Some days you go out feeling kind of meh? and notice that you just can't keep the numbers up. You can be deep into a training bloc and notice that your numbers keep going down even though you feel like you are putting everything into it. Or you can be on a day where you just feel good and realize you're pushing huge number and think "damn - I'm doing this?" Your body reacts differently depending on stress. HR, breathing, perceived exertion, sweating, body heat - are all variable depending on your conditions, mental state, health. But power is a measurement of what you are capable of sustaining. I've had days where I felt like sheep dung run over by a pack of wolves, but rode off the front of a group. I've also had days where I felt pretty OK but watched the pack leave me behind and nothing and no one could get any more power out of me. It's also the ideal measuring stick, because the better and stronger you get, the higher the sustained numbers go. My max HR was 172 six months ago getting healthy from a knee injury and my FTP was 264. My max HR today is 172 and my FTP is 286. I don't know of ANY accurate test of your ability to maintain power output based on heart rate, but FTP tests are an all you can eat buffet of methods.
Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-15-21, 04:01 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I am new to power meters, I recently got the Stages left crank (only) meter. Why did I get that one? It was the cheapest. It has been reasonably consistent for me if I compare power vs time on different runs of the same Strava segment for example. I am sure it is not as good as what the pros are using, but I don't think an amateur like me needs anything more.

I think tgenec86 hit it on the head why a power meter is an awesome thing. I have learned a ton about what is good and bad about my biking style by watching what power I am putting out. Just to give one example, I found I seriously backed off on the power right at the crest of the hill, as in 300W to 100W. I knew I was backing off a bit, but 300 to 100?? Now I try to even it out a bit. Another example: power across a sprint. I found I was over-exerting at the start of sprints and then not having enough for the final push. One more example: consistency. thought I was keeping relatively steady power, but found when I got distracted (by about anything) my power could drop a huge amount, way more than I had thought. Also it is possible to see how different stroke styles affect the power output. etc etc.

Last edited by scottfsmith; 02-15-21 at 04:17 PM.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 02-15-21, 10:57 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I've experienced similar to you. There's some point, especially, after a hard effort where you back off to "easy" but with legs still a bit toasted it can be hard to really determine what power you're putting out when maybe what you want is to push over the top and get your speed back up.

Sprinting? What's that? I have no sprint. 290W FTP and I've never cracked 1,000 Watts. Strava says my highest was 952 for a few seconds and 841 for 5 when I saw a light changing red. I'll take your word for it on over-exerting early, though.

I see my power drop when distracted, too. Most notably on Zwift since I can't fall off or hit anything. Watching TV and get caught up in the show - power drop. Talk to wife - power drop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.