Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don’t upgrade your bike buy New one video

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-18-21, 11:34 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts

I always buy a good frame bike and then upgrade the parts as I have the money.

Thia video suggest’s that it’s better to buy a whole new bike than to upgrade. What are your thoughts.
Old 02-18-21, 12:19 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser

Thia video suggest’s that it’s better to buy a whole new bike than to upgrade. What are your thoughts.
I think that guy watched this video and decided to make one of his own: Same title even.
Old 02-18-21, 12:22 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Ed, I don't think that this is earth-shattering news. Buying a compromise bike and then spending more to upgrade it incrementally is dumb. I know because I've done it.

My last four builds have been frame first, and components hand selected. But, of course, I get what I want that way.

This assumes that you can actually find a complete bike that you'd want in your size right now. Good luck with that.
Frames can still be found if you know where to look. So...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 02-18-21, 06:46 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
Another video that thinks people are too stupid to make their own choices. I personally have not built up a bike from parts but I can see the logic behind it; especially if you have something very specific in mind that isn't offered by the major brands.

Will it cost you more? Probably and it's highly likely that the people that do it, know that.
Old 02-18-21, 07:19 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
I'm not giving the video any clicks.

It's almost always a better deal to buy a bike as a package deal. Often for tier 1 or 2 groupsets it's like buying the groupset at retail & getting a free frame & having it pre-assembled to boot.

Smart money then sells the frame set to offset the cost & puts the groupset on whatever happens to be their favorite bike.

It's not an unheard of strategy: "I ride a 58 & I want an Ultegra groupset...Oh, look! A size 47 with Ultegra on sale. Oh happy days!"

It's how Mrs. Base2 got her Salsa frameset.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-18-21, 07:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts

Whether it’s better to upgrade or not depends. If you buy a bike from one of the big manufacturers and then try to upgrade it to the next level bike, that’s a fool’s errand. In that case it’s better to just buy the next level bike. You probably should have done that to begin with.

But if the bike is something special, that changes the calculus. If the bike is rare or no longer made or made by a small frame maker etc., it is worth upgrading parts. All 8 of my bikes and 4 of my wife’s 5 bikes and several of the bikes my daughter owns have all be upgraded. Sometimes they are upgraded to the point where then don’t resemble the original bike nor have any of the original parts (). It’s not the cheapest way to go but I end up with bikes that I want with components I want.

The advice I give my wheel building class people is that if you want to build a wheel that you can buy, just buy the wheel. But if you want something special, build it yourself. Same applies to bicycles.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-18-21, 08:18 PM
Mickey2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like mentioned, I assume most (so called) upgrades are building or fixup projects of a bike or frame we already have. Finding parts at a good price happens often enough. Gears are worn down, rims, cranks, pedals... few things lasts that long. Those who work on their own bikes and search for good parts have a wider selection. That said, the guy in the video has a fair point. It can be ideal to find a new bike at a good price. If we have a bike we like a lot, we are more likely to replace parts with better parts. Commuting and riding all winter, I have bought bikes at bargain prices just for the purpose, I know they will likely not last that long before they need major upkeep. Bikes that take a lot of abuse and are easily replaced have this advantage.

Last edited by Mickey2; 02-19-21 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-19-21, 06:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
There's a big depends on what makes sense to do. If a stock bike model has everything you want, nothing less or more, then it makes sense to just buy that. OTOH, if it has one thing you want, but a lot of 'upgraded' stuff you don't need or care about, then it may well make sense to upgrade a lower tier bike.

For example, say you want a CF Domane with Di2 electronic shifting. The lowest tiered model I believe is the SL7 for $6500. In theory you could opt for 105-equipped SL5 for $3130 and just get a Di2 upgrade kit for ~$1k (?) and save close to $2500.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-19-21, 07:58 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
The more I ride and know what works for me, the less I care about "upgrades" but what will enhance "my" cycling experience.

For example, I switched to a GRX crankset on a 1999 crit bike to help with climbing and give me a user friendly cassette.
Old 02-19-21, 08:03 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
My dilemma, as I approach my 75th birthday, is how to celebrate. My inclination was to either buy a "dream" bike or upgrade one of my existing bikes. Not going to upgrade my GURU Sidero (steel) since I've done that over the years. So.....my CAAD 12. First, I love this bike. It fits me perfectly and I ride it well. I also just love looking at it. It's all 105 so I thought about Ultegra or maybe a couple Dura Ace pieces. Should I forgo that upgrade and just buy a new Ultegra CAAD? Well, the CAAD 12 is no longer made and the new CAAD 13 geometry is different. And, it's heavier. Basically what it has come down to for me is I don't really want to lose my CAAD 12 and I don't really need to buy, say, upgraded shifters. It looks like my celebration is going to be a weekend trip to ride somewhere new and fun. Feeling very fortunate right now.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 02-19-21, 08:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
What are your thoughts.
I think it isnt as simple as a good or bad decision that applies to all situations. Sometimes its financially bad to upgrade. Sometimes its financially good to upgrade. Sometimes a hobby isnt only about the cost of things and you buy stuff in spite of it being the more expensive option.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-19-21, 10:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
First of all you have to decide what advantage an upgrade or a new bike will give you that you dont have now.

THEN and most important of all can you hide the costs of either from your wife.
Old 02-19-21, 10:49 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
For example, say you want a CF Domane with Di2 electronic shifting. The lowest tiered model I believe is the SL7 for $6500. In theory you could opt for 105-equipped SL5 for $3130 and just get a Di2 upgrade kit for ~$1k (?) and save close to $2500.
If there were more competition in bike parts I could see someone putting electronic shifting on a 105 equivalent group set and make a killing.

I actually own a Domane SL5 and I would have loved if it had come with Di2.
Old 02-19-21, 10:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Get the bike you want from the get go if you aren't super choosy and want certain parts but don't mind others go for the bike that has those certain parts. Otherwise don't bother upgrading is expensive as you are buying parts you don't want along with the parts you do want and while having a good parts bin I think it important you may not want to do that right away.

I like building frame up because I choose what I want to go on it and make it work well for me. It is going to cost more than buying a complete bike but it ensures I get what I want. Otherwise I will buy the bike closest to what I want and swap parts as needed or keep it what it is because it is pretty darn close.
Old 02-19-21, 11:52 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
The question here is how really experienced the rider is? I see tons of people run out and buy that super deluxe road bike with dreams and asperations of cycling across the country. Only to realize that cycling is hard work and quit after only a season or two. Then they go to sell it and they are shocked that it's worth nothing compared to what they paid. Buying the cheap beginner road bike in this scenario is way better and way cheaper. Most new cyclists are not going to benefit from the extra gearing anyways.

And there's other things you can upgrade other then the group set that vastly improves the cycling experience. For example the seat, brake levers, peddles, wheels, brakes etc. All of which you can keep the original parts around for when you sell the old bike. And bring to the next upgraded bike.
Likes For cbrstar:
Old 02-19-21, 03:35 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
The question here is how really experienced the rider is? I see tons of people run out and buy that super deluxe road bike with dreams and asperations of cycling across the country. Only to realize that cycling is hard work and quit after only a season or two. Then they go to sell it and they are shocked that it's worth nothing compared to what they paid. Buying the cheap beginner road bike in this scenario is way better and way cheaper. Most new cyclists are not going to benefit from the extra gearing anyways.

And there's other things you can upgrade other then the group set that vastly improves the cycling experience. For example the seat, brake levers, peddles, wheels, brakes etc. All of which you can keep the original parts around for when you sell the old bike. And bring to the next upgraded bike.
Yes, in that scenario, buying the cheaper bike is the better bet. If that buyer gets a bike with Sora/Tiagra level parts, for $1000ish, it will be more than good enough to decide if they actually like cycling.

That buyer should not then expect to cost-effectively put a Di2/AXS/hydraulics group onto that same frame. If they ride enough that they find themselves in the market for a fancy bike, they would be better off trading in/keeping the $1,000 bike as a winter bike/indoor trainer, and buying a new $4-5,000 bike.
Old 02-19-21, 04:33 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Yes, in that scenario, buying the cheaper bike is the better bet. If that buyer gets a bike with Sora/Tiagra level parts, for $1000ish, it will be more than good enough to decide if they actually like cycling.

That buyer should not then expect to cost-effectively put a Di2/AXS/hydraulics group onto that same frame. If they ride enough that they find themselves in the market for a fancy bike, they would be better off trading in/keeping the $1,000 bike as a winter bike/indoor trainer, and buying a new $4-5,000 bike.
Except for the impossibility of making a rim braked bike into a disc-braked bike, they absolutely could cost-effectively put Di2 or AXS on such a bike. Using the Specialized Allez, which was the highlighted bike in the OP's video. The highest end disc Allez is 105 and has MSRP of $2300. Adding a Di2 conversion kit brings it to ~$3300.

The alternative nearest neighbor (disc + Di2 race geo) is the the Tarmac SL7 Expert at $5500 ? If you're happy with rim brake the Allez Elite w/105 is $1500; add Di2 and you have a $2500 bike.

If working with 9 or 10 speed $1k bike, you'd be adding $2k for the full Di2 Ultegra kit, but even so, then you're still at $3K instead of $5500
Old 02-19-21, 04:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have this issue that slows me down when I think of getting a new bike. My arms. Fit. I was 6'1/2" and have been shrinking the past couple of decades but my inseam is unchanged and long. My reach, fingertip to fingertip is over 6'2" even after shortening my already narrow shoulder width a full inch with collarbone breaks. So to be comfortable on a bike, I need a really long reach despite my short torso. (With the classic elbow to seat nose, I need handlebars 4-5" past my long fingertips.)

Years ago I wrote a Fortran program that I could input the published geometry of a prospective frame and it would output the stem I needed and the weight balance between the wheels. (I was looking into a ti bike; having ridden a Merlin MTB 10 years before and having my eyes opened to "this is it! Just make it a road bike". The result? There were no stock frames out there that would give me optimal weight balance and good downhill handling and not require a custom stem. A $4000 class "B" fit? Nah.

Since then I have had two customs ti's built. Love the rides! Getting a new, much lighter, much faster, much sexier bike and having to settle for the "B" fit? Still, nah. I might resurrect that program and run it on the new stuff. Every once in a while a truly fitting bike comes along. My My 1976 Fuji Pro I raced. An early '80s Univega Competition with the same seat angle and top tube. (My first ti is patterned after it but with the BB kicked up for 175s.) The rest? I have used stems of 140, 150, 155, 175 and two of 180 cms.
Old 02-19-21, 04:55 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
When I was working on the sales floor, I found that most entry-level riders had a totally unrealistic understanding of price and value. A video like that is probably a good thing to help drive home that it's better to "buy once, cry once."
Old 02-20-21, 06:16 AM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Frame size and bike fit is number one. If the bike don't fit right it doesn't matter how good or bad the components are.
Old 02-20-21, 09:39 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
First: the title of this thread is misleading. He's not saying "forget upgrading, go buy a new bike", he is saying "spend more upfront to get a better bike, it's worth it". These are two different things.

Originally Posted by Rolla
When I was working on the sales floor, I found that most entry-level riders had a totally unrealistic understanding of price and value. A video like that is probably a good thing to help drive home that it's better to "buy once, cry once."
I watched the video and I think this was his point. He's taking the perspective of a bike shop employee. Most people coming into bike shops are not enthusiasts like those on this forum. I'm sure people come into bike shops all the time thinking that $800 will get them a top-end road bike. Just talking them into the $1,000 entry level road bike is probably tough. If they end up cycling, they'll inevitably want to upgrade their $1,000 bike and he'll have to explain why that's either a bad idea or not possible. Those are the people he's talking to.

Speaking personally as an enthusiast, for the past 25 years I've (almost) always bought Ultegra / XT / Chorus / Force level bikes. As I approach 50, I've realized that I'm only going to buy Dura Ace / Super Record / AXS Red / XTR whatever the next top end stuff is stuff from here on out. I'm also done buying major brand bikes. I'm going the high end domestic Moots/Seven/Firefly/whoever custom route from here on. These are all emotional and even irrational decisions. I know that Dura Ace / Super Record is almost certainly not worth it over the second level groups. I also know that Trek/Giant/Specialized make some great bikes. Still, I'm starting to realize that life is short. I love cycling, it means a lot to me and is an intrinsic part or my personality. I'm not going to be buying too many more bikes, each bike I do buy needs to be special. I can afford these bikes without being financially irresponsible. Also, to me it's better than buying a boat or Porsche or whatever.

Last edited by Hiro11; 02-20-21 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 02-20-21, 09:57 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I have this issue that slows me down when I think of getting a new bike. My arms. Fit.
I guess my issue is that I’m cheap and easily pleased by a bike that works and fits. Plus, my riding is so much on dusty or muddy trails that I’d rather trash a cheap, old frame. Also, I like to try out different things and have ended up with bikes that suit my preferences but aren’t readily available as a new bike.

That said, I think that video makes a good point in the case of an entry level road bike. Of course, my viewpoint isn’t particularly relevant: I ride SS so moving from 2x8 to 2x11 sounds like a downgrade. 😀

Otto
Old 02-20-21, 10:01 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts

It depends.

When I wore out discontinued small parts in my 1997 Campagnolo Chorus shifters, upgrading my titanium Litespeed to 10 speed Record Titanium cost $3000 less than buying a new bike equipped with Chorus.

Conversely, with the steep OEM discounts you can buy a generic bicycle from bikesdirect for not much more than a Shimano groupset.

OTOH, $300 on a used or take-off groups won't buy anything complete worth riding.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-20-21 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-20-21, 11:40 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Except for the impossibility of making a rim braked bike into a disc-braked bike, they absolutely could cost-effectively put Di2 or AXS on such a bike. Using the Specialized Allez, which was the highlighted bike in the OP's video. The highest end disc Allez is 105 and has MSRP of $2300. Adding a Di2 conversion kit brings it to ~$3300.

The alternative nearest neighbor (disc + Di2 race geo) is the the Tarmac SL7 Expert at $5500 ? If you're happy with rim brake the Allez Elite w/105 is $1500; add Di2 and you have a $2500 bike.

If working with 9 or 10 speed $1k bike, you'd be adding $2k for the full Di2 Ultegra kit, but even so, then you're still at $3K instead of $5500
Ok, that can be done, but it’s not exactly like for like.

A Synapse Carbon disc is $2400 for Tiagra, versus $4400 for Di2. I’m not seeing a Di2 kit for $1000, but even if you can get that, you still need to add a new cassette, chain, and possibly wheels to the shopping list, and then you do have to allow for the fact the rest of your finishing kit (bars, cranks, brakes) is lower end than if you just bought the expensive bike.

Also, I just watched the video in the OP, and he’s discussing the upgrade from Sora to 105. That jump is typically well under $500 in MSRP, but the upgrade process would likely cost more, and certainly run into problems along the way for an inexperienced mechanic.

I think the core takeaway there is, if you’re new to cycling and you can stretch to 105 level up front, do. And the bit that he doesn’t say is, if you’re new to cycling and don’t know how long you’re going to continue at it, don’t spend more than 105.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.