Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speedplay Walkable vs Standard Cleats

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 02:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

For Speedplay users -->who have actually used the walkable cleats<-- what are your thoughts? Worth it?

I see some online retailers bundling Zero Stainless pedals with walkable cleats.

For example, Competitive is asking $199 for Zero Stainless and $214 for a bundle which includes the same pedals + walkable cleats. Seems like a no-brainer but I can get the pedals by themselves for $162 from the UK.

Is it worth the extra $52 to get the cleats? Are they that much more comfortable walking?

I have a friend who loves them but wanted to get a bigger sample size.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-15-16 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 02:06 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You can buy walkable cleat covers from China for $5
Old 08-15-16, 02:06 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you're walking in your cleats, you're doing it wrong.

But seriously, I have these for when I know I'm going to need to walk more than just from the car to the bike (used with regular shoes):

And these in my back pocket for coffee / potty breaks (fit over cleats):

Last edited by velociraptor; 08-15-16 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 03:04 PM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
I'd get them from the UK for $162. That's a good stainless price. I haven't used the new walkable cleats and still use the old version.

I've used the Zeros for a long time and never used cleat covers. I walk on them when necessary and eventually they get trashed. Then I get new cleats and start again. They don't get trashed easily and you quickly find out what surfaces you need to be more cautious.
Old 08-15-16, 03:10 PM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walkable. Protect cleats from walking wear. Don't have to take them off to ride. Easily replaceable.

Keep on Kovers Z 3 for Speedplay Zero or Light Action Cleats Cover New Improved | eBay
Old 08-15-16, 03:38 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
I'd get them from the UK for $162. That's a good stainless price. I haven't used the new walkable cleats and still use the old version.

I've used the Zeros for a long time and never used cleat covers. I walk on them when necessary and eventually they get trashed. Then I get new cleats and start again. They don't get trashed easily and you quickly find out what surfaces you need to be more cautious.
this is what I do. I've never had a problem walking with Speedplay cleats, but I'm not a klutz.
Old 08-15-16, 03:40 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Have any of you actually used the walkable cleats?

With all due respect, the question was for those with experience using the product.
Old 08-15-16, 03:42 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I use the snap on rubber covers... at home they save the wood floors, and when out at stop / destination they save the cleats from the brick and concrete.

I do find they are lumpy in the pocket.
Old 08-15-16, 03:49 PM
jcheechov

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding Zeros for about 15,000 miles. The cleat parts that touch the ground wear out, then the mounting screws. Even with careful use. The Zero Walkables eliminate this wear, and you don't need to fit the covers on & off. I was skeptical until a friend told me about his experience with them. I think they will pay for the difference by not needing to replace the cleat frame and screws as often. So far the SP covers have stayed in place with 'zero' issues. And you won't sound like a tap dancer at Starbucks any more
Old 08-15-16, 03:57 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Instead of getting the pedals/walkable set for $215, why not just get the set for $162 from the UK and a set of walkable replacement cleats for $55 ($217 total)? Then you have a back-up set of cleats to use in the future or on a second set of shoes.

Haven't used the walkables myself, but intend to spend the extra $15 when my current cleats need replacing.
Old 08-15-16, 04:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Instead of getting the pedals/walkable set for $215, why not just get the set for $162 from the UK and a set of walkable replacement cleats for $55 ($217 total)? Then you have a back-up set of cleats to use in the future or on a second set of shoes.

Haven't used the walkables myself, but intend to spend the extra $15 when my current cleats need replacing.
I was thinking the same thing.

I could sell the standard cleats to some of the guys on this thread.
Old 08-15-16, 04:05 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
FWIW, I see that Merlin currently has the stainless at $151.86 with free shipping.
Old 08-15-16, 04:15 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by WhyFi
FWIW, I see that Merlin currently has the stainless at $151.86 with free shipping.
Thanks for this.
Old 08-15-16, 04:33 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by snidely
Walkable. Protect cleats from walking wear. Don't have to take them off to ride. Easily replaceable.

Keep on Kovers Z 3 for Speedplay Zero or Light Action Cleats Cover New Improved | eBay
+1 These work great, or at least they do for the X-series of the same brand. If you're an Amazon fan, you can get these there too
https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Kovers-S...MD4G68MWNJS9KA
Old 08-15-16, 04:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Thread seems somewhat resolved, so hopefully this isn't viewed as too off topic, but has anyone successfully found anyone selling Zeros online (at better than MSRP) with spindles other than the stock length (I want the 1/8" longer spindles in stainless)? I've only found the spindles sold separately, with some sellers at over $100 for just a pair of spindles, which is pretty ridiculous IMO, as I'd think most of the cost in manufacturing is the base or the cleat.
Old 08-15-16, 04:53 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Thread seems somewhat resolved, so hopefully this isn't viewed as too off topic, but has anyone successfully found anyone selling Zeros online (at better than MSRP) with spindles other than the stock length (I want the 1/8" longer spindles in stainless)? I've only found the spindles sold separately, with some sellers at over $100 for just a pair of spindles, which is pretty ridiculous IMO, as I'd think most of the cost in manufacturing is the base or the cleat.
Aftermarket Replacement Titanium spindle set; the site has 3 different lengths:
Titanium Spindles, Speedplay Titanium, Zero Bowties, Ti Pedal Parts

No personal experience with their products and/or affiliation.

Edit: US$35 per pair.

Last edited by 1nterceptor; 08-15-16 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added price
Old 08-15-16, 04:57 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
+1 These work great, or at least they do for the X-series of the same brand. If you're an Amazon fan, you can get these there too
https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Kovers-S...MD4G68MWNJS9KA
I used to be a big keep on kover fan but at $20-$25 a pop it irritates me when they pop off (and I lose them) after a week on the bike. Also, the new angled looking version squeaks on my shoes/pedals, not sure why.

I bought the new walkable cleats this time around - the cover is very nicely integrated into the cleat and it's the same as buying the cleat and a keep on kover anyway, so why not.

I do like the extra traction the covers provide, whether keep on or speedplay and it definitely keeps your cleats from wearing out as fast. Either one is significantly more convenient than carrying around little cafe covers.
Old 08-15-16, 04:59 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Aftermarket Replacement Titanium spindle set; the site has 3 different lengths:
Titanium Spindles, Speedplay Titanium, Zero Bowties, Ti Pedal Parts

No personal experience with their products and/or affiliation.

Edit: US$35 per pair.
Yeah, I'm aware of those.. That means adding $35 to cost of a set and having 2 spindles I have no use for, and, Speedplay only rates their own titanium spindles up to a 185lb rider. going longer and with a relatively unknown manufacturer..?
Old 08-15-16, 05:56 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I used to be a big keep on kover fan but at $20-$25 a pop it irritates me when they pop off (and I lose them) after a week on the bike. Also, the new angled looking version squeaks on my shoes/pedals, not sure why.

I bought the new walkable cleats this time around - the cover is very nicely integrated into the cleat and it's the same as buying the cleat and a keep on kover anyway, so why not.

I do like the extra traction the covers provide, whether keep on or speedplay and it definitely keeps your cleats from wearing out as fast. Either one is significantly more convenient than carrying around little cafe covers.
Yea...I presently have two Left Keep-On-Kovers and no right ones. That doesn't factor in the 3rd set that suffered a similar fate that I binned.

Strongly thinking about walkable-cleats and Zeros, to replace my Xs.
Old 08-15-16, 06:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Yea...I presently have two Left Keep-On-Kovers and no right ones. That doesn't factor in the 3rd set that suffered a similar fate that I binned.

Strongly thinking about walkable-cleats and Zeros, to replace my Xs.
Strange in that my experience is that I still (after almost a year) have to exert a good amount of pull on mine to pull them off (usually for spraying on some teflon).
Old 08-15-16, 07:03 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have been a Speedplay Zero users for years, and years.
For years and years, I carried caps in my jersey pocket for walking into coffee places, stores etc.

I have just switched to Speedplay Zero Walkables.

Love at first ride.
Never gonna go back to caps.
Old 08-15-16, 07:04 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Have any of you actually used the walkable cleats?

With all due respect, the question was for those with experience using the product.
With all due respect, the standard cleat is walkable, unless the user is a klutz.
Old 08-15-16, 07:07 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
With all due respect, the standard cleat is walkable, unless the user is a klutz.
You risk mucking up your floor or other people's floors. You also muck up the clear potentially on concrete or in campgrounds
Old 08-15-16, 07:08 PM
sbxx1985 

Speedplay is notoriously hostile, which is probably why that aftermarket spindle link is in Canada. He probably gets a cease and desist letter soon enough.

I'd buy the chromoly version from the UK or ebay and buy bow ties and spindles from 1nterceptor's link. It's titanium. I doubt it would fail over 185lbs, but at 200lbs, it probably makes more sense to stay with the Speedplay factory stuff and their rating.

I like this part.
Contact Toronto Cycles, Privacy Policy, Store Hours, About Us
Old 08-15-16, 07:13 PM
sbxx1985 

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
You risk mucking up your floor or other people's floors.
I'm not usually in other peoples' houses when I'm riding and I take my shoes off before going into my house. I have new floors.

My wife rides SPDs. She also takes her shoes off. We have new floors. I'm not worried about concrete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.