Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Colorado Finale!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The Colorado Finale!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-17, 08:52 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
The Colorado Finale!!!

Two weeks and 900+ miles of Colorado climbs and descents done!! It was very enjoyable as always but I'm ready to head back to NC to see family. Tents, mobile showers and portajohns have been my friends but I'm ready to tell them goodbye.

Nice 75 miler today from Monte Vista to Pagosa Springs over Wolf Creek Pass again. Being a NC State Wolfpacker it's fitting I climbed Wolf Creek on Day 1 and also Day 14.

I felt puny after riding a couple hours this morning (slight headwinds and slight uphill) and stopped at a store for a Coke. Wouldn't you know the first bottle I'd pull out of the cooler had the name "Smith" on it. I'm sure my very good company friend "Snuffy" Smith would have loved to have ridden his bike in Colorado if he was still with us. I suspect he was helping me get my tired legs back up that long hill today. 58 is way too young to die....

I was having another good ride but flatted again just a few miles from the finish. I had picked up a wire from steel belted tire and it was really hard to remove it from the tire. A nice lady with a portable compressor stopped and pumped my tire up with a new tube.

I hope you've enjoyed following along and seeing some photos from out West!

m

Last edited by jppe; 06-24-17 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-24-17, 09:42 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love your posts, Jppe. Having now done RtR and BTC back to back, I'd like to hear your impressions of the two rides (aside from the obvious differences in routes). And I'm sorry you're not sticking around for the Double Triple Bypass :-)
Old 06-24-17, 11:48 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
great ride, thanks for posting
Old 06-25-17, 12:03 AM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a ride! I used to go to CO every summer and mountain bike. We're going up again in August but we're not taking bikes this trip, we're taking the Jeep and 4 wheeling.
Old 06-25-17, 09:31 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
@jppe
i've been following but not commenting, thank you for taking the time to update us on your most marvelous adventures.

it's posts like yours that keep me inspired to ride 100+ miles per week and live some of my dream rides through your (and others) posts.
Old 06-25-17, 01:21 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Well done Jppe. Thanks for the pics.
Old 06-27-17, 06:16 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by nmichell
Love your posts, Jppe. Having now done RtR and BTC back to back, I'd like to hear your impressions of the two rides (aside from the obvious differences in routes). And I'm sorry you're not sticking around for the Double Triple Bypass :-)
I talked to a few folks from Ft Collins/Loveland......one of my favorite places in CO. I love what they've done to the downtown area.

Impressions of the two rides: Both have very good routes overall. Both are well supported, well marked and you generally feel pretty safe out on the road. RTR has a LOT more participants right now and in my opinion is a better value, you get a little more for what you spend-that's because they have some great cash flow from sponsors. RTR has lots of entertainment, shuttles that will take you around as needed and makes things a little simpler.Just ore energy.

But you also have a lot more people so there are more lines, more riders on the road, competition for spots at restaurants etc. BTC is extremely well supported, maybe a touch more challenging from a riding standpoint (longer distances) but smaller crowds. This year there were only a little over 300 riders on BTC. I don't think they can continue the tour unless they get more riders though. The rest stop food at BTC is incredibly better than RTR........RTR had gone to vendors at rest stops which is fine, just a different model. Finishing where you start like BTC does has it's advantages as well. Does this help?
Old 06-27-17, 06:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Surprised to see BTC is only 300. I did the ride in '99, there were something like 1200. It was then very well supported and organized.

Only slip up was they forget to double check that a campground in Creede was open, it wasn't and resulted in the town residents, all 300 of them, opening their doors and yards for folks to camp, literally all over town. Big party that night !.

Only comment on BTC vs. RTR, is I believe RTR is point to point ?, where as BTC is a loop, which makes it a bit easier to get too and from, logistically.

Congrats though, jppe, though after last years TransAm, nothing you do surprises me.
Old 06-27-17, 10:24 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Jppe, I'm also surprised to hear BTC is that small -- I hope they can keep going. I'm glad to hear both events were well run.
Old 06-28-17, 05:54 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Good job Joe, very nice series of reports on your adventure this year. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-28-17, 09:29 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
That looks so great .... Next year!