Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you ever Endo’d (gone over the bars) while braking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Have you ever Endo’d (gone over the bars) while braking?
Yes, once
26.47%
Yes, several times
10.29%
Just about every day
1.47%
Never
61.76%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 08:34 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

I did, twice that I remember, but it was quite a long time ago.

How about you? If you have, tell us your story, along with details on the bike and braking system in use.
Old 04-23-18, 09:02 AM
KCNEWF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early 2000's mountain bike. Rim brakes.

2nd braking system was a closed gate at the exit of a parking lot on flat terrain.

Endo'd over the bars and gate. Broke my left hand.
Old 04-23-18, 09:57 AM
Cross Creek

Bikes: 2013 Rivendell Sam, 1996 Bianchi Milano, 1994 Trek 820

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Only when my front wheel dropped into a drain cover with grating parallel to the street while I was trying to brake to avoid it with no room to go around. That was almost 40 yrs ago, and those grates were outlawed around here a long time ago. Luckily, I ended up covered in sandspurs to my right, rather than under passing traffic to my left.
Old 04-23-18, 10:11 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
while braking no
Old 04-23-18, 10:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've planted the front wheel while mountain biking several times (maybe half a dozen or so) and have flown over the bars. Once, I held on and planted while still clipped in, flipping the bike back over me. Another time I wound up with chain ring shark bite high up on my left inner thigh. How does that physically happen?

But in every case, I planted or jammed the front wheel into something that held fast. I've never come close to flipping by simply braking. That must be a myth. I've never seen it happen to anyone.
Old 04-23-18, 10:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I never OTB Never on the road, only mountain biking. I did it quite a few times in my early days, it still happens on rare occasion now, but it is always while doing something that I know OTBing is a possible outcome.

Braking was probably associated with some of my earliest OTBs, but not really anymore. It would be a situation where I was going down something steep, had my front brake on, then hit something like a big root. Rookie mistake.

Now I am much more attuned to when I need to be off the brakes, even if it is just for a moment I am clearing an obstacle.

So now OTBs are never associated with braking, because anything that has a remote chance of putting me OTB is going to make me let off the brakes.

IMO, unless you are some hamfisted clod, the type of brake should not really matter. I hear about people grabbing a handful of panic brake and going OTB and I just don’t get it. I know what will throw me over the bars and I am not going to intentionally do that. The only times I’ve gone OTB while braking it was because I hit something with my front wheel.

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-23-18 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 10:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
I hear carbon disc brake forks are asploding and causing endos. Multiple.
Old 04-23-18, 10:50 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I answered once but should have answered multiple times. First time was during the 70's bike boom and braked too hard on my uncles new Schwinn "10 speed" back when that was a new concept. the second time was late last year when panic braking and I tucked and rolled out of it on my way to work.
Old 04-23-18, 11:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
with 160 disc brakes on a 20" wheel I have to use the front brake carefully.. Its more a bike stops but my body remains in motion.

In accordance with the Newtonian laws..
Old 04-23-18, 11:07 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've locked the front wheel and lowsided in snow, but never endod.

Except for that time I was coming a bit too hot through a corner and piled into a chainlink fence. Or the time I hit a curb in the dark that was much bigger than I though and came to an immediate stop. I guess those are the functional equivalent of braking....
Old 04-23-18, 11:18 AM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One time on the MTB. 30 MPH, hard pack terrain, but not fast enough to clear a huge rut.

Walked away with a few scratched on my back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture2.JPG (37.6 KB, 399 views)
Old 04-23-18, 11:18 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I'm going to go with 'No' too.

I've endo'ed a few times on the trail, but it's as a result of stuffing the front wheel in to a root, rut or rock on a steep, technical descent.
Never on the flats, or on the road. Only ever seen an OTB on the road once, when a rider struck another rider who'd fallen in front of her on wet pavement.

It's never just the brakes, it's always as a result of hitting something.

Unless you have really horrid body position / weight shift, I don't see it happening 'Just Riding Along'
What a lot of people call an 'endo' seems to be if they lift the rear wheel under braking, and then the front 'tucks in' dropping everyone to the ground handle-bars first.

My Softride was (is) notoriously tail-happy when braking to a stop, due to the short wheelbase, and that you have to slide almost to the back of the stem, to get room to stand over the beam. Wider bars lessened that somewhat, but it always tries to pick up the back tire right before it comes to a full stop.
Old 04-23-18, 12:06 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Last week. Stupid mistake, of course.
I neglected to check that QR skewers were tight after working on the bike (I've been under a lot of stress lately and I guess distraction/lack of concentration are an issue.)
Anyhow, about a block and a half from my house I hit the brakes to avoid a car backing out of a driveway. The rear wheel popped out of the dropout and the bike came to an abrupt halt... but I didn't.
I left a few square inches of face on the concrete, but luckily I did a complete flip and the bike landed on top of me -- no scratches to the bike at all.
Old 04-23-18, 12:17 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Once, but not as you would think. I was 11 or 12 and my friends and me did very dumb things with our bikes. As mine had only a not too efficient rear brake, I tried to enhance braking by putting my sneaker sole on the front tire, behind the fork crown. My foot was sucked by the wheel, jammed and...
I still wonder how the stupid things we did back then didn't leave any permanent injuries.
Old 04-23-18, 03:13 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Once, a freak accident I think. I was going very slow downhill on a steep dirt parking lot, which had a huge rut that I didn't see due to the bike I was on (don't ask) and couldn't exit quickly. It was a slow-motion over-the-top topple, very embarrassing.

On a normal bicycle from braking, no.
Old 04-23-18, 03:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Over the bars several times because I hit stuff. Would rather have braked.
Old 04-23-18, 04:11 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
I've done it a few times. Never fun, but the worst outcome resulted in a broken arm, concussion, and lots of road rash (I was wearing a helment...thank God). It was in the 80s and I was riding my Panasonic DX 3000 (all Shimano components; early days of SIS). I was going pretty fast down hill on a road I'd ridden many times, but not since they'd covered it in gravel after some paving work. The bike started to slide on the gravel going into a left-hander and I found my way into a ditch where i went over the bars and into a tree stump. Ouch.
Old 04-23-18, 04:28 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Honestly only voted to see if anyone had picked "Just about every day." Sadly, it rests at zero votes. I have not personally, nor do I know anyone who has every crashed as a direct result of grabbing too much brake. A lot of crashes seem to result from just the opposite.
Old 04-23-18, 04:36 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Once, two years ago. A car turned into a driveway in front of me while I was going down a hill. Somehow, I missed him but did a head/shoulder plant.
Old 04-23-18, 04:57 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

First time, was 40 years ago. Raleigh Record road bike, center pull caliper brakes. Traveling at low speed on a gravel shoulder, upset about recent events, I grabbed both brakes hard in anger. Back wheel came up in what seemed like slow motion, almost balanced at the top, and I then toppled forward. I tucked my head and rolled on my shoulder. No helmet and no injuries.

Second time was 20+ years ago. Wife called attention to a turtle in distress so I looked to the side, not realizing that wife hit the brakes. When I looked forward there she was at a stop. I hit the brakes hard, went over fast, again doing the shoulder roll. Again, no injury, but when the rear wheel came around it hit the pavement quite hard, knocking it out of round. I had to wrestle it back to near enough round with hands and feet, just to ride home with the cantilever brake disconnected.

The good news is the turtle was ok!
Old 04-23-18, 04:58 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
25 times a day
Old 04-23-18, 05:00 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

I agree that endo by front braking is user error, but to say it's not possible is silly. Of course it's possible. As long as the brake is in good working order and you squeeze hard enough you're going over. And with some brakes and a light rider it may not take that much.
Old 04-23-18, 05:11 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I agree that endo by front braking is user error, but to say it's not possible is silly. Of course it's possible. As long as the brake is in good working order and you squeeze hard enough you're going over. And with some brakes and a light rider it may not take that much.
Who are you talking to, me? No one has mentioned possibility in this thread but you. Did you start a whole thread just to continue where the other left off?

It's POSSIBLE to endo on v brakes, but you might be brain dead if you manage to do that more than once in a blue moon even with top of the line brakes. And most brakes are not going to endo unless you grab as hard as possible.

It can be very easy to endo on a powerful disc break. You never endo? Well, you never had a powerful top end disc brake with short pull levers, it's really just as simple as that and not much to discuss.

Last edited by Oneder; 04-23-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 05:13 PM
maxi109

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 20 yrs ago came down a big hill with a covered bridge at the bottom. I realized to late that the floor boards ran long ways instead of cross. Still running probably 25mph the front wheel fell between 2 boards. The bike stopped but I didn’t. Not a good day!
Old 04-23-18, 05:33 PM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
As a kid, I was riding a wheelie and my front wheel fell off. Does that count?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.