Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why are there cable guides on my non-diskbrake forks?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 04:01 PM
joefelixj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

These forks have what seem to be cable guides brazed on to the back of my forks, yet no disk brake mount.
Or are they actually for something else?
It won't let me post the picture because I have under 10 posts...

Thanks!
Old 02-03-21, 05:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by felipe.m View Post
(can't post the link here yet)
sure you can. Just write it in the plain text portion of your message. Remove the https:// and try putting a space before and after the "." or change the ".' to "dot".

Then it's no longer a URL, the spam filters won't balk and the spam police won't come to your door.

We'll figure out how to make it a workable URL again.

https://www.bikeforums.net/21908346-post6.html

Last edited by Iride01; 02-03-21 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-03-21, 05:39 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Maybe for dynamo hub wiring.
Old 02-04-21, 03:03 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Could be for dynamo wiring, could also be that they were designed for hub brakes, other than disc brakes, like drum brakes or roller brakes.
What kind of bike (brand & model) is it?
Old 02-04-21, 09:52 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
In my experience, the Asian contract manufacturers who build the vast majority of our bikes are meticulous about giving you exactly what you ask for. If you give dimensions for an 'English' threaded bottom bracket on a frame but don't specify the threading, don't assume they will cut threads - you are more likely to get a frame that needs 1.37" bearing press fit in place.

I would guess that there was an original design of a fork for disc brake usage and a product manager somewhere said 'make me 500 of the same design but without the disc mount', and the manufacturer removed the caliper mount and noting else.
Old 02-04-21, 11:08 AM
joefelixj

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Then it's no longer a URL, the spam filters won't balk and the spam police won't come to your door.
Ok this is the pic i.imgur . com/q9vrGTE.jpg

Could be for dynamo wiring
Ah yes it could well be!
Old 02-05-21, 08:33 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by joefelixj
Ok this is the pic
Right, so that is definitely not on the normal side for a disc brake cable. My best guess is indeed for a dynamo wire. Just zip tie that sucker in place. The tabs however are very much for brake cables since they are fairly big.
Old 02-05-21, 08:45 AM
joefelixj

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Right, so that is definitely not on the normal side for a disc brake cable. My best guess is indeed for a dynamo wire. Just zip tie that sucker in place. The tabs however are very much for brake cables since they are fairly big.
haha ok so brake cable tabs used for dynamo wire...
I bought the forks for fairly cheap from a bike shop, unpainted and stand alone. So maybe they were some weird mistake.
Old 02-05-21, 09:13 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Agree that those tabs are on the wrong fork leg for disc brake cables or hoses so they have to be for dynamo wiring or just a manufacturing error.
Old 02-05-21, 10:58 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
If the Magura hydraulic rim brake shown in the pic is original equipment on the bike, maybe it was a bike originally sold in Germany for commuting/trekking. I think most of those brakes were/are in use in Germany, Dynamo wiring guides on the fork would make a little more sense in Germany, dynamo lighting is very common there and might even be legally required. Leading companies in dynamo hubs/lights are German companies, FWIW (Schmidt, Supernova, etc). I will say those guides on the fork leg are overkill as a dynamo wire guide, though.
Old 02-05-21, 11:05 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I think the forks were originally designed for Walnart so when the fork is installed backwards the bike will still stop.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-05-21, 11:58 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Think I may have seen something similar on BF prev. Are these about a spokes length apart. If I recall, they are to hold spare spokes. The top and bottom get zip ties thru them. Spokes go into the top with the "J end" so they don't slip down, and the bottom one holds the threaded end of the spoke.
Old 02-05-21, 12:07 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Think I may have seen something similar on BF prev. Are these about a spokes length apart. If I recall, they are to hold spare spokes. The top and bottom get zip ties thru them. Spokes go into the top with the "J end" so they don't slip down, and the bottom one holds the threaded end of the spoke.
I've seen that done but the spare spokes are usually attached to a seatstay or chainstay.
Old 02-05-21, 12:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I don't think so. The spoke holders I've seen require no zip ties, the spoke gets locked in firmly to the frame without any extra ties or bits.

Zip-tying spokes to a fork leg seems like an accident waiting to happen.
Old 02-05-21, 12:25 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I don't think so. The spoke holders I've seen require no zip ties, the spoke gets locked in firmly to the frame without any extra ties or bits.

Zip-tying spokes to a fork leg seems like an accident waiting to happen.
Wouldn't argue with that! Know I wouldn't do it! Tried to find the original post, but no luck.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 02-07-21, 06:06 AM
joefelixj

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If the Magura hydraulic rim brake shown in the pic is original equipment on the bike, maybe it was a bike originally sold in Germany for commuting/trekking. I think most of those brakes were/are in use in Germany, Dynamo wiring guides on the fork would make a little more sense in Germany, dynamo lighting is very common there and might even be legally required. Leading companies in dynamo hubs/lights are German companies, FWIW (Schmidt, Supernova, etc). I will say those guides on the fork leg are overkill as a dynamo wire guide, though.
Good detective work. I am indeed in Germany. (I bought the forks stand-alone though, and fitted them to my bike)
There are a lot of dynamos in Germany too, like you say, so it seems like a viable reason.
Old 02-07-21, 06:11 AM
joefelixj

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I think the forks were originally designed for Walnart so when the fork is installed backwards the bike will still stop.
There's no walnart in Germany I think more likely to be a weird Chinese made thing that ended up here.
Old 02-07-21, 06:11 AM
joefelixj

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
This is the full build so far (if anyones interested )

Old 02-07-21, 06:45 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen brakes quite like that before. Can you describe them (brand, type, hydraulic/mechanical, do you like the way they work, etc.) and show other photos?
Old 02-07-21, 09:20 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by ARider2
I don't think I have ever seen brakes quite like that before. Can you describe them (brand, type, hydraulic/mechanical, do you like the way they work, etc.) and show other photos?
Those are old school Magura hydraulic. One of the best back in the day. Probably still are.
Old 02-08-21, 03:10 AM
joefelixj

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
As 2cam16 said, they are Magura breaks. As far as I can tell they are HS33s, most likely late 90s or early 2000s. They are hydraulic rim brakes and mount onto cantilever bosses.
They still make them today, largely unchanged: https://www.magura.com/en/components...ilpage/?p=2597

I haven't had a chance to use them loads yet, but they seem very good so far. Strong breaking power, nice feel on the levers etc.
Also they are v simple to change pads and bleed etc, and apparently they last for ever!
Old 02-08-21, 03:15 AM
joefelixj

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Pics of brakes for ARider2:

Likes For joefelixj: