Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drive side BB ring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Drive side BB ring

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 04:00 PM
Jkirk891

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drive side BB ring

Hi Guys,

I'm swapping out the cranks on my commuter, and I've encountered a strange ring threaded into the drive side of the BB shell. It has no tool markings or splines, but has two flat edges around the circle opposing each other (if that makes sense). The old spindle passed through from the centre. It also seems to have been painted along with the frame which is quite odd. Does anyone know how to remove this safely, as i doubt I'll be able to install the cartridge BB for the new cranks with it still attached. The old BB lockring and spindle came apart easily but this ring looks like it has very little purchase to get a tool onto. Can't post pics as I'm a newbie.

Many thanks in advance,

Jamie
Old 02-24-21, 04:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/21939947-post5.html
Old 02-24-21, 04:09 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Thats sounds like it‘s a fixed cup of a classic cup and cone BB. Of all the parts one can remove from a bike that‘s probably the toughest. Search for „fixed cup removal“ there are a few very good threads about that topic in here.

Good thing is that there is the option of keeping the cup and cone BB. If the running surface of the fixed cup is still good you don‘t need to remove it. Just put in new grease and new balls.

Last edited by Kovkov; 02-24-21 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-24-21, 04:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by kovkov
thats sounds like it‘s a fixed cup of a classic cup and cone bb. Of all the parts one can remove from a bike that‘s probably the toughest. Search for „fixed cup removal“ there are a few very good threads about that topic in here.

Good thing is that there is the option of keeping the cup and cone bb. If the running surface of the fixed cup is still good you don‘t need to remove it. Just put in new grease and new balls.
+1

Old 02-24-21, 04:31 PM
Jkirk891

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot! It is indeed a fixed cup. I'm going to just take it down to my LBS and get it taken off - the cone and cup bb doesn't have a square taper, as I was replacing old cottered cranks, so i'll fit the new cartridge. But i'll clean up the old bb and keep if for a future project.

Cheers

JK
Old 02-24-21, 06:18 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Jkirk891
......I was replacing old cottered cranks, so i'll fit the new cartridge.
What is the make and year of your bike? A cottered crank probably dates it from the 70's at the latest and before English bottom bracket threading was nearly universal. If the bike is a Raleigh the threading may be Raleigh's proprietary type. If the bike is French you may have French threading and if Italian the threading will most likely be Italian. None of these threadings are compatible with commonly available English threaded bottom brackets so be careful that you buy the right type.
Old 02-24-21, 08:24 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Does it look like this?
2nd pic is how I secure it.

Old 02-25-21, 07:40 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Jkirk891
Hi Guys,

I'm swapping out the cranks on my commuter, and I've encountered a strange ring threaded into the drive side of the BB shell. It has no tool markings or splines, but has two flat edges around the circle opposing each other (if that makes sense). The old spindle passed through from the centre. It also seems to have been painted along with the frame which is quite odd.
That the fixed cup is painted makes me think this is perhaps an old Raleigh. Does it look like this?

If so, it may have the proprietary Raleigh 1-3/8" x 26tpi thread, which could make replacement with a cartridge an issue, as few cartridges are available with that thread spec (Phil Wood being a spendy exception). Unless the cup is damaged beyond salvation, I'd clean it in place and repack the bottom bracket with fresh grease and balls and call it a day.