Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Budget US plastic platform pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 08:57 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts

I remember a thread year or two back about pedals, somebody came up with a link to budget ($15 or $20?) plastic (nylon? vinyl?) platform pedals, U.S. made (?), pretty nice looking, not just regular black rectangles. They came in an assortment of colors.

I can't find it again, anybody else know what I'm talking about?
Old 02-27-21, 09:04 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Maybe it was Raceface Chester Ride, but that's $35, I could have sworn it was cheaper. Did Raceface try out a cheaper pedal that they discontinued? Or raise the price of Ride?
Old 02-27-21, 09:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Probably nothing made in the U.S. probably some cheap amazon knock-off with loose ball bearings done pretty cheaply. They are pretty common these days. If you need a good plastic pedal the top recommended one usually is the RaceFace Chester. Those are actually good pedals and frequently and poorly ripped off. I wouldn't put cheap pedals on a bike unless it was a little kids bike or was maybe for a short test ride or something. Pedals are a touch point and worth spending money to get something of quality.
Old 02-27-21, 09:15 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

That's why I have this distinct memory, that the pedals were not knockoffs, they were from a name-brand pedal company, and I was quite surprised at the affordable price. Definitely $50 Chesters does not match my memory, because that price is too high. (I'm not saying too high for that pedal, just way higher than what I'm trying to remember)
Old 02-27-21, 09:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I mean the cheap pedals are probably Wellgo if they are a well known brand but those are certainly not MUSA. The Wellgo LU-895s are cheap pedals in all senses but do hit that initial price point. I bet they are also the manufacturers of the Dimension pedals and probably a host of other low initial cost pedals.

The Ride pedals are the cheapest of the RaceFace pedals I know of but they don't go quite that low. The Chesters are more worth it though as the pins are replaceable/adjustable which is a really nice feature and well worth it if you want to stay firmly planted on the pedals.
Old 02-27-21, 09:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Adjustable? If the loose hardware rattling is acceptable, then it's adjustable.
Old 02-27-21, 10:01 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's why I have this distinct memory, that the pedals were not knockoffs, they were from a name-brand pedal company, and I was quite surprised at the affordable price. Definitely $50 Chesters does not match my memory, because that price is too high. (I'm not saying too high for that pedal, just way higher than what I'm trying to remember)
What I swear by are Odyssey BMX platform pedals- either the Grandstand (Tommy Dugan signature) or the Twisted (lots of colors available in this one). **

Both come in alloy or plastic (look for PC in the description), are well under $30 USD in the PC versions, and are super strong and generously-sized and grippy without being lethal to calves and shins. I think you can get sealed-bearing versions too.

**The Grandstand PC is my favorite- really thin profile, but really stiff. Watch a Dugan video to see the abuse these handle. I really have no idea why the other platform pedals on the market (from companies which have been around for far less time) cost so much money. No, I don’t work for Odyssey.
Old 02-28-21, 12:07 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Hey awesome thanks! Although 'Odyssey' isn't ringing a bell (which I'd think it would since we had a Honda Odyssey for 10 years), I bet those are the pedals I saw before. Anyways, they tick the boxes (except perhaps being made offshore, they are a U.S. company)
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 02-28-21, 05:40 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
DMR V6 pedals fit the description. I have a pair, but I don't think they're too great. The bearing are quite stiff—so stiff that they unscrewed themselves.
I thought they'd work in, but they haven't so far. I tried them on my winter bike, and in colder temperatures they started to squeak, so I took them off.

Edit:
Higher price, but these look good:
Raceface Rides

Last edited by John Nolan; 02-28-21 at 07:40 AM. Reason: add RacefaceRides
Old 02-28-21, 07:35 AM
Troul 

i did as much looking as i could & couldn't find you MUSA pedals under 20USd. I think I found the end of the internet though...

FWIW; "FOOKER" is the generic of Racefacee. Fook hasn't "recopied" I mean "retooled" the Rides edition that John Nolan linked. However, those are 330g, which isn't bad for a platform pedal. Although if it were me & I wanted to spend less while reducing some weight, I'd grab the Chester knock off "FOOKER MTB Pedal" & remove 75% [+/- with comfort] of the hex pins. Doing so should put them very close to 315g & save about $10.
Old 02-28-21, 11:10 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by John Nolan
DMR V6 pedals fit the description. I have a pair, but I don't think they're too great. The bearing are quite stiff—so stiff that they unscrewed themselves.
I thought they'd work in, but they haven't so far. I tried them on my winter bike, and in colder temperatures they started to squeak, so I took them off.
Those look interesting, the molded pins are pretty aggressive
Old 02-28-21, 11:11 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Troul
i did as much looking as i could & couldn't find you MUSA pedals under 20USd. I think I found the end of the internet though...

FWIW; "FOOKER" is the generic of Racefacee. Fook hasn't "recopied" I mean "retooled" the Rides edition that John Nolan linked. However, those are 330g, which isn't bad for a platform pedal. Although if it were me & I wanted to spend less while reducing some weight, I'd grab the Chester knock off "FOOKER MTB Pedal" & remove 75% [+/- with comfort] of the hex pins. Doing so should put them very close to 315g & save about $10.
The desire is explicitly to avoid the knockoffs, and support a US company. The Odyssey's above, it's not obvious to me whether they're actually manufactured in the US, but the company is in CA.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 02-28-21, 11:48 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
The desire is explicitly to avoid the knockoffs, and support a US company. The Odyssey's above, it's not obvious to me whether they're actually manufactured in the US, but the company is in CA.
Nah, once upon a time Odyssey was made in the US- their stuff has been Taiwan for some time now, I believe. But they’re one of the original, since the mid 80s, California-based component designers and manufacturers for BMX.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 03-01-21, 11:44 AM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Well, really for $10 how much support are you providing?
Old 03-01-21, 11:46 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Every little bit counts?
Old 03-01-21, 11:54 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I really doubt any of the pedals mentioned in this thread are US-made. US companies, sure. very little is manufactured in North America anymore.

Not sure what OP is looking for, but for my needs on a flat mountain bike pedal, I want something very, very thin and with a concave shape. that's a tall order. most BMX pedals are THICK (tall stack) and more likely to bash into rocks on the trail. that's why, as much as I'd like to use Odyssey products, they're just too tall for my tastes.

Issi Thump pedals are doing for me me at the moment.
Old 03-01-21, 12:19 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

The bike these will go on will be a casual bike for tooling around town, not likely to ever encounter trail rocks.
Old 03-01-21, 12:29 PM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
OneUp makes a decent pedal. I have these and I like them alot:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...1&category=114
Old 03-01-21, 12:31 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
The bike these will go on will be a casual bike for tooling around town, not likely to ever encounter trail rocks.
for that kind of riding, you can't go wrong with Odyssey plastic pedals. just like 99.9% of the rest of the market, they are not made in the US. but you have a ton of color options and they feel good under your feet.
Old 03-01-21, 12:46 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn
OneUp makes a decent pedal. I have these and I like them alot:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...1&category=114
I bought those before. Had a warranty claim after 6 months. Came right off the shaft. Got about 4 months before they got very noisy.
I liked the way they covered the foot, but they just were not durable/reliable.
Old 03-01-21, 09:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Fooker is not a generic RaceFace...it is a poor knockoff. It is great if you need to support fakes and help the poor Jeff Bezos who is barely the richest man in the entire world, I guess but that isn't really a good thing.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-01-21, 09:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Stolen Brand Thermolite pedals?
Old 03-02-21, 08:52 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yes, I think those are the ones that I was trying to remember. Now I've got multiple options!
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 03-03-21, 03:04 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Very nice, I just need to find the equivalents made in Poland
Old 03-03-21, 06:44 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I bought those before. Had a warranty claim after 6 months. Came right off the shaft. Got about 4 months before they got very noisy.
I liked the way they covered the foot, but they just were not durable/reliable.
So far mine have held up well..maybe you ended up with a bad pair?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.