Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Quintana Roo PR5 and PR6 Fork and Frame Design Flaw

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 02-28-18, 10:49 AM
jrturner

Bikes: Trek 5000, Quintana Roo PR5 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Quintana Roo (QR) PRFive Frameset (S/N: F1611M3212) that I purchased in September of 2017 has an obvious design flaw related to the Frameset's frame and fork tolerances. When the fork assembly (front wheel) is turned to its limit in either direction, the front edges of the frame make direct contact with the side surfaces of the forks. This contact is atypical of a "high end" triathlon bike and causes the frame to dig into the painted carbon surfaces of the forks. This isn't ordinarily an issue when racing but often occurs when moving the bike from place to place and the handlebars turn left or right as a simple result of gravity when not holding the handlebars.

The solution to this problem, as described to me by the bike shop where I purchased the frame, is the application of clear "stickers" to the side surfaces of the forks. These "stickers" are not substantial enough to prevent the front edges of the frame from digging into the painted surface of the forks nor do they prevent damage to the frame itself. The bike shop expects that I'm supposed to replace the stickers with new stickers when the original stickers wear out. When the stickers are removed, they also peel paint off of the forks. Hardly a solution for a $3200 frame.

Has anyone else experienced this same problem with Quintana Roo PR5 or PR6 or know of a fellow triathlete that has experienced this problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7208.jpg (1.16 MB, 84 views)
IMG_7209.jpg (799.5 KB, 79 views)
IMG_7210.jpg (872.8 KB, 82 views)
IMG_7211.jpg (693.1 KB, 81 views)
IMG_7261.jpg (1.07 MB, 82 views)

Last edited by jrturner; 02-28-18 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added Photographs
Old 02-28-18, 04:05 PM
valleysuper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’d reach out to QR on that. That’s not even 6 months. What will that look like in 2 years!

Tell the bike shop to keep the clear stickers and get off their behind and help you warranty it.
Old 03-02-18, 10:00 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by jrturner
Has anyone else experienced this same problem with Quintana Roo PR5 or PR6 or know of a fellow triathlete that has experienced this problem?
I concur with valleysuper above...I'd go straight to the manufacturer instead of the LBS. Did the LBS assemble the bike? It could be assembled incorrectly. Have they (LBS) said they've seen it before on the same model? See what the manufacturer says about it. It might be an incorrect assembly issue on either part...I.e. there's a spacer missing, or something of that nature, that if installed/assembled properly would prevent that. Another issue that you didn't mention is the torque/pressure that could be inflicted on the fork and/or frame where that happens. The CF right there could potentially crack if/when it (albeit accidentally) hits with too much force.

Dan
Old 03-22-18, 03:42 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I would guess that QR doesn't think you'll ever actually ride the bike with the fork turned that far -- and they're almost certainly correct. But still, a rubber bumper or internal stop of some sort would have been a better solution.

OP, let us know what QR does about this.
Old 09-08-18, 05:24 AM
viralvariance

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran into the same problem and asked my LBS for warranty

Waiting for response so far

Were you successful in asking for warranty? I feel this is a design flaw and QR should consider recalling the fork for safety reasons
Old 09-19-18, 11:07 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The frame and fork are designed for optimum aerodynamics when traveling in a straight line. Consequently, the fork will be wider at it's leading edge and taper to where it meets the frame. When the fork is turned far enough, the wider section will contact the frame, but normally this limit wouldn't be reached even at the turn around of a triathlon bicycle course. IMO, it's a very minor drawback for having an aerodynamically efficient bicycle. Anybody who rode during the days of down tube shift levers will be well aware of the chips on the side of the down tube, caused by the front brake caliper's barrel adjuster (even when they had a rubber bumper), when you let the wheel flop too far. Nobody complained about it being a design deficiency.
Old 09-21-18, 01:12 AM
viralvariance

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this was aluminum, I would have agreed with you

But this is carbon fiber

and QR corrected this on the latter models by replacing the part where the fork hits the frame with rubber contact point

so they clearly acknowledge this issue