Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is this even safe?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Is this even safe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 12:36 AM
windhchaser
Banned.

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I was going about 30 kph already when this dude on a motorized longboard passed me like I was standing still. I could see with those smallist rubber wheels that if he hit a big rut, or even a piece of gravel, that could be disastrous. At least he was wearing a helmet. And what about coming to a quick stop? No such thing, I suppose.

i almost got killed on a segway mini pro. it is the kind that the handle bar only goes up to knees. and if you go to fast it slows down on its own very fast and the knee pads slide back between knees well i moded it with handlebars that ya used with ya hands .well i get going on a hill and i went to fast it bascalyy threw me off i hit head so hard i couldnt walk for a minute id stand and fall over. i was very banged up. im to old for this
Old 07-31-19, 01:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I'm not a skateboarder, but I presume that if one stops short, then one simply steps off it. But, that would only be good up to a certain speed, and would require an active response.

So, if one is kicking it along the road, then one simply skips a kick, and steps off.

But, I can imagine high speeds, and passive riding, having the skateboard stop in a crack, or bump or something, and it could lead to a hard tumble.
Old 07-31-19, 12:07 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
This is someone else's problem. I don't know whether it's safe or not, but I do know I'm not a policeman. If that guy passed me on a NYC street and then slowed down, which is what they usually do, I'll just take the next right and go another way.